Join for free
Page 2 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2019, 10:31 PM

Re: Hypocrisy Democracy

You put your finger on what the Brexiteers fear the most - another referendum.

They fear it not because thy "respect the views of the British people", but rather, I suspect, because, a second time around, with a more informed and critical electorate, would result in a substantial "thumbs-down" for the whole Tory vanity dream that Brexit is.

Actually, a General Election would be better (Corbyn is right about that). The UK is a representative parliamentary democracy, not a "direct" democracy governed by referenda. Parliament is sovereign. But, failing a GE, a second referendum would be well-advised so that a proposed "final settlement"could be agreed upon.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2019, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
a naive and gullible UK electorate.
I presume that refers to anyone outside of London.
Says it all really
Why would you that only people outside London can be naive and gullible?
Fosterbrad
London UK
Fosterbrad is male  Fosterbrad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2019, 10:48 PM

Non supportive of the GE idea due to anti-Semitic political fallout currently polluting the Labour agenda. Whilst a Labour supporter, I don’t believe Labour could win a GE even if standing a Manifesto commitment to have another Referendum. The issue of Brexit for me needs to be fought on cross-party via a free vote in Parliament which if successsful would politically bind the PM
Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Maybe this has been done before?
Anyway.
People that say they are cold, then proceeded to put their cold hands on your face.

People that proceed to phone someone just because you asked how they were - I came to visit YOU!

People that say something smells bad, and shove it under your nose!
to hold another public vote.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2019, 10:55 PM

Labour would not, I agree, win an outright majority in a GE. They would probably have to govern with the support of the Scots Nationalists.

The price for that support would be 2 referenda: one on Scottish independence (which, this time, I think they would win); the other on (of course) Brexit (Remain would win).

One of the truly great ironies of the whole Brexit fiasco is that it is being urged most forcefully of all by pro-UK, "patriotic" types - yet Brexit is actually un-gluing the UK. The Scots & Northern Irish just don't want it! Brexit has really put wind into the sails of The SNP & Sinn Fein.

Irony of ironies for the Brexiteers:you can have Brexit or you can have the UK. Better choose which, because you can't have both.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2019, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Fosterbrad ->
The UK electorate deserve another people’s vote on EU membership.

Brexit is an engineered right wing lie, promulgated and imposed by the political elite on to a naive and gullible UK electorate. It divisive and does absolutely nothing to foster social cohesion. Brexit's sole purpose is the furtherance and advancement of political power.

In short all that Brexit achieved was to provide its paymasters, the UK political establishment, with the mandate it sought and needed to legally disenfranchise unwitting UK citizens of their inalienable EU rights and freedoms.

The irony we now face is that that same right wing section of the political establishment, witnessed vigorously fostering support for a public EU vote in 2016, can now be seen doing everything in their power to prevent a much wiser UK electorate from having another say (e.g. Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Andrea Leadsham).

Classic example of a Hypocrisy democracy
You are a Labour Party supporter.

That means you do not have a Scooby Do what is best for the UK electorate or what the UK electorate want.

'Hypocrisy Democracy' is a puerile little soundbite around which you have formulated a conspiracy theory with more holes than a collander.

FYI the UK electorate knew what it voted for, millions had been awaiting decades for the opportunity.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2019, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
You put your finger on what the Brexiteers fear the most - another referendum.

They fear it not because thy "respect the views of the British people", but rather, I suspect, because, a second time around, with a more informed and critical electorate, would result in a substantial "thumbs-down" for the whole Tory vanity dream that Brexit is.

Actually, a General Election would be better (Corbyn is right about that). The UK is a representative parliamentary democracy, not a "direct" democracy governed by referenda. Parliament is sovereign. But, failing a GE, a second referendum would be well-advised so that a proposed "final settlement"could be agreed upon.
Brexiteers/Leavers don't 'fear' another referendum just disagree with having one until the result of the first has been honoured

If you support another referendum you have no honour.
Moscow
Scotland

02-03-2019, 11:15 PM

Non supportive of the GE idea due to anti-Semitic political fallout currently polluting the Labour agenda. Whilst a Labour supporter, I don’t believe Labour could win a GE even if standing a Manifesto commitment to have another Referendum. The issue of Brexit for me needs to be fought on cross-party via a free vote in Parliament which if successsful would politically bind the PM to hold another public vote.
You noticed that Labour are full of racist shitbags then.

More concerned with Palestinian issues than issues facing working class Brits.

How TF can you support those racist shitbags?
Fosterbrad
London UK
Fosterbrad is male  Fosterbrad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2019, 11:15 PM

To be honest given in party fighting amongst both Conservatives and Labour I just cannot see an Election taking place. It would I believe require another no confidence motion in the Government and given the result from the last vote I still do not believe that Conservative MP’s have the stomach for voting down their own government. Why they’re afraid ‘beats me’ because as I have already said the Labour Party is currently polluted by the anti semetic row and therefore ripe for the picking.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 09:59 AM

I meant no offence to the UK electorate by my post however, I cannot recall Brexiteers promulgating the benefits of a £39 billion divorce settlement, the NI Backstop and it’s relation to the UK’s Good Friday Agreement Treaty commitments and negative economic impacts to the UK economy.
however I do remember, ‘Unicorns’ like reduced immigration; £375 million a week more for the NHS; free trade agreements with exactly the same benefits. and the EU ‘bending over backwards’ to give the UK a deal?

Dont forget the £530 odd million that that stupid sod Grayling - the scumbag 'nasty party's Transport Minister has just squandered !!!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 11:58 AM

The UK electorate deserve another people’s vote on EU membership.

Brexit is an engineered right wing lie, promulgated and imposed by the political elite on to a naive and gullible UK electorate. It divisive and does absolutely nothing to foster social cohesion. Brexit's sole purpose is the furtherance and advancement of political power.
lol and another stooge alias appears.

Just utterly laughable.

NO SECOND REFERENDUM

The UK people KNEW EXACTLY what they were voting for

To get out of the corrupt EU cesspit, a cesspit we should never have been sold into in the first place. We were taken in their by stealth, fraud and skulduggery by corrupt politicians and now we want out and to redress the balance.

If you support a 2nd referendum then you don't support democracy and the democratic process simple as. That being the case you should go and live in an un-democratic country. If your intention is to attempt to change and remove the democratic process of this country then you can be assured that good free citizens of this country will oppose you to the bitter end using whatever force is necessary. That's because threatening our democracy is no different to an invasion or war by any other name.

There will be NO SECOND REFERENDUM so you're gonna have to man up and abide by the democratic decision.

There is absolutely no basis for any 2nd referendum

Page 2 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top