Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 09:27 AM

Replacing my Car.

Hi

I never buy new, always Ex Works.

I have had this one for a few years now, it is showing it's age.

Not a huge mileage, but going wrong.

I need an automatic, my left leg is shattered.

I need an estate, get my fishing tackle in.

I am a tight fisted Northerner, maximum depreciation is £1500 a year.

Any ideas?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 05:23 PM

Re: Replacing my Car.

What’s your budget swims..?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 05:38 PM

Nissan Qashqai Automatic would be my choice in either petrol or diesel

https://www.nissan.co.uk/vehicles/ne...SAAEgLi9PD_BwE
I have the Nissan xtrail tenka diesel and never let me down.

As for depreciation that depends on how long you have the car. The longer owned the less depreciation

Of course the xtrail has loads of room to carry stuff in.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 07:04 PM

Unless you do about 12000, miles per year, then don’t buy a modern diesel , need to know what your budget will be, if it’s relatively low, then something Japanese, Toyota or Honda
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 07:42 PM

have to agree about japanese cars. I have had Honda's-Isuzu- Toyota's- Nissan and Lexus's . Not one has ever let me down.
i do like the Japanese way of marketing as well. you get basic- middle and top grades , no need to add "extras" as some car manufactures do.

Before getting my xtrail I asked loads of people in car parks etc about their Nissan and the Qashqai (most common)as part of my research before getting a Nissan. I can honestly say not one had a bad word about the make. I find this is the best way to find out about a mark away from salesmen patter

That finally decided me to change from a land rover freelander as it was cheaper to run albeit a bit less power 2.2cc to 1.6cc. i did have a Ranger Rover (used) and gave no end of problems and it was only 3 years old with little mileage.

Spotted ( for Sue) on the internet a local Honda garage selling an ex demo civic estate(6000 miles on clock) at a really good knock down price. did a P/X on the Kia estate and what a difference in build quality. from the Kia. Absolutely no comparison

The kia Ceed( made in south korea) felt really cheap . Not only that but the kia had things like rust on alloy wheels by the hup not the rim, radio made up its own mind if it would work or not and the kia people refused to replace under their 7 yr warranty saying it didn't cover electrical parts . Extremely bad after sales service on both Kia's (Sorento) we had, with stupid faults on both.Sorento (new) had faults as long as your arm and dealers didn't want to know

Having had a Kia product I don't think in all the years of owning cars of a lot of different makes, I have never ever been dismissed as a "was" customer and don't bother us attitude.
A case of sell the product and sod off we don't want to know
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 09:38 PM

I can't fault Realspeeds assessment of nissan vehicles especially the Qashqai Swim.
my Qashqai 1.9 ntec diesel has been brilliant. I bought it new in 2010 and haven't had a spot of bother with it over that time. And just last week it passed it's MOT with no problems.

However, I'm not sure you would be able to get your fishing tackle in it....
So I would recommend a Citroen Berlingo like these.....

As a courier I had two of these but they were vans....Probably the most comfortable driving position I had ever experienced. I drove the length and breadth of the country and arrived at my destination still able to climb out without having to restore flexibility or circulation.

The standard 1.9 diesel purred away and required very little maintenance, just oil changes and filters every ten thousand miles. Unlike petrol engines.
The seats drop down to give loads of room for your fishing tackle and then can be reinstated for passengers.

I put 300,000 miles on my first Berlingo, and apart from servicing, it only required an accelerator cable. If you do decide on a Berlingo avoid the HD models, they are quicker off the mark but can be very troublesome. Good luck with the search Swim....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 09:55 PM

Avoid a three year old plus Freelander.
Primus1
York

26-10-2019, 10:14 PM

Swims
If your buying a car for say a couple of grand, then depreciation won’t really matter, more on condition and if it has a service history, and a few owners, ect,
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 06:58 AM

Hi

Thanks for all the replies.

I do not want to spend more than £10k. not bothered about looks, just practicality.

An estate would be better than an SUV for me.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2019, 08:19 AM

I used to have a VW Passat Estate, it was an automatic and a great car. I kept it for ten years before I had no choice but to give it up. Plenty of room in the tailgate area too, I had 3 full grown Old English Sheepdogs riding around in mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top