Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2012, 08:26 PM

Re: Uncle Joe's anti diet thread (split from diet support thread)

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Carmen darlin' - news here this morning - apparently some American Scientists have discovered that chocolate DOESN'T cause weight increase, on the contrary it helps to speed up metabolism so you might lose weight even faster by scoffing those choccies.
Oh don't these so-called scientists get on your nerves?! One minute things are good for you, then they're bad for you, so on and so on..........I'm just doing what seems to work for me

Another thing, I don't scoff Uncle Joe.....I'm a lady
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Berxer ->
Oh don't these so-called scientists get on your nerves?! One minute things are good for you, then they're bad for you, so on and so on..........I'm just doing what seems to work for me

Another thing, I don't scoff Uncle Joe.....I'm a lady
Alright Carmen darlin' - I apologise - consume at a rapid rate!!!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 08:29 AM

Carmen darlin' - here's the news article that prompted my earlier comment about chocolate:

If you've been avoiding chocolate because it makes you fat, think again. The latest research has found that eating chocolate often can make you skinnier.

A study at the University of California, San Diego, found that eating certain types of chocolate is linked to better measurements of blood pressure, insulin sensitivity and cholesterol levels, and a lower body mass index.

The authors tested the hypothesis that modest, regular chocolate consumption might be calorie-neutral. In other words, the metabolic benefits of eating small chocolate portions might lead to reduced fat deposition per calories, offsetting the added calories.

The study surveyed 1,018 men and women in good health. They were asked how often they ate chocolate, answered a food frequency questionnaire, and were weighed.

Writing in the Archives of Internal Medicine, the authors said: "Adults who consumed chocolate more frequently had a lower BMI than those who consumed chocolate less often."

The size of the effect was modest but the effect was significant – larger than could be explained by chance, the authors wrote.

This was despite the fact that those who ate chocolate more often ate more calories, and did not exercise more.

Study leader Dr Beatrice Golomb said: "Our findings appear to add to a body of information suggesting that the composition of calories, not just the number of them, matters for determining their ultimate impact on weight.

"In the case of chocolate, this is good news – both for those who have a regular chocolate habit, and those who may wish to start one."

The authors said the findings merit a further randomised trial of chocolate for metabolic benefits in humans.

I wonder how I can volunteer to be part of this research????
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2012, 07:15 PM

I love my Food too Geoff, but it goes straight to my Tummy and Hips so I am always more or less carefull of what I eat these days, especially as I'm no longer teaching Linedancing and I'm not getting anything like the exercise I was.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

29-03-2012, 08:16 AM

Errrmmm Roxy darlin' Exercise???? - what's that???? Whilst sitting (I mean laying) in my recliner I can wiggle my toes and and ankles but after about 20 seconds that becomes too much for me so I stop.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2012, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Errrmmm Roxy darlin' Exercise???? - what's that???? Whilst sitting (I mean laying) in my recliner I can wiggle my toes and and ankles but after about 20 seconds that becomes too much for me so I stop.
Pillock. lol lol lol.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Pillock. lol lol lol.
now that's a word I haven't heard in a while, love it, must remember it for future
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2012, 04:36 PM

Gee 1 love food also but have to watch it now
do not want to mess up what the surgan fixed
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

04-04-2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by pixie ->
Gee 1 love food also but have to watch it now
do not want to mess up what the surgan fixed
Yes Ann darlin' - but you also have to keep body and soul together too.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

27-04-2012, 07:42 AM

Came across this as good advice - He's a Chinese Doctor.

Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Heart only good for so many beats, and that it... Don't waste on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster. Want to live longer? Take nap.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: Oh no. Wine made from fruit. Brandy distilled wine, that mean they take water out of fruity bit so you get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made of grain. Bottom up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have body and you have fat, your ratio one to one. If you have two body, your ratio two to one.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of single one, sorry. My philosophy: No pain...good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU NOT LISTENING! Food fried in vegetable oil. How getting more vegetable be bad?

Q : Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Oh no! When you exercise muscle, it get bigger. You should only be doing sit-up if you want bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: You crazy?!? HEL-LO-O!! Cocoa bean! Another vegetable! It best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming good for figure, explain whale to me.

Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! 'Round' is shape!

Well... I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

And remember:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, tires and brakes smoking - Champagne in one hand, chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

AND...

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans...

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top