Join for free
Page 5 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 06:31 PM

Re: Secrets of the Great Pyramid of Giza

When traveling abroad, especially in a place like Egypt, I never book a tour. I like to move at my pace and not be herded around like some sheep. I travel alone.

When in the Egyptian Museum of Antiquities, where I spent 3 whole days, I was sitting on the floor, with my back against the wall, starring at a magnificent statue of Pharaoh Chephren, when a herd of tourists were ushered in for 2 minutes and then , just as quickly herded off. It gave me a chuckle. I went back to my studies, read a bit more about the statue, and continued to be mesmerized.

P.S. The statue of Pharaoh Chephren, sometimes called Khafre (room .#42) is made of diorite, the 2nd hardest substance known. Yet the statue is polished as smooth as glass. How did the Egyptians do it ?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Khafre-Horus.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	6631  
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
we had a similar thing in one of the temples.

'Come, I show you bat'.

Three paces and a pointing finger later and he wants a tip
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
When traveling abroad, especially in a place like Egypt, I never book a tour. I like to move at my pace and not be herded around like some sheep. I travel alone.

When in the Egyptian Museum of Antiquities, where I spent 3 whole days, I was sitting on the floor, with my back against the wall, starring at a magnificent statue of Pharaoh Chephren, when a herd of tourists were ushered in for 2 minutes and then , just as quickly herded off. It gave me a chuckle.
I agree.

Several years ago we went on a cruise round the western Med. Our visit to Rome was absolutely hopeless. We were dragged around the city with no time to look at anything properly. Lunch was a fracas. We were booked into some poorly organised restaurant and waited interminably for our meals with nothing productive to do, taking up valuable time that we would have spent looking at what WE would have liked to.

Never again.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree.

Several years ago we went on a cruise round the western Med. Our visit to Rome was absolutely hopeless. We were dragged around the city with no time to look at anything properly. Lunch was a fracas. We were booked into some poorly organised restaurant and waited interminably for our meals with nothing productive to do, taking up valuable time that we would have spent looking at what WE would have liked to.
Never again.
May I make a suggestion ? the next time you travel, 1st decide what you want to see and do. 2nd, Pull up a google map of the area and find a hotel that sits near the middle of that area. Go on the net and book your hotel (also a great way to compare prices). I always try to book "off-season". It gives me the best prices but more importantly it allows me to avoid the huge crowds.

Upon arriving at your hotel make friends with the staff. They are an invaluable source of great info. Ask them about taxi prices to your destination. Always negotiate price BEFORE entering taxi.

Believe me, this is the best way to travel. You are totally in charge of where you go and how long you decide to stay. Also, you get to pick your own dining establishment.

Lastly, look for crowded restaurants that cater to locals. Locals know where the best food is.

Enjoy. Enjoy. Enjoy. Sit at outdoor café and watch the people walk passed. Buy your woman a perfect rose.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->

When in the Egyptian Museum of Antiquities, where I spent 3 whole days, I was sitting on the floor, with my back against the wall, starring at a magnificent statue of Pharaoh Chephren, when a herd of tourists were ushered in for 2 minutes and then , just as quickly herded off. It gave me a chuckle. I went back to my studies, read a bit more about the statue, and continued to be mesmerized.

P.S. The statue of Pharaoh Chephren, sometimes called Khafre (room .#42) is made of diorite, the 2nd hardest substance known. Yet the statue is polished as smooth as glass. How did the Egyptians do it ?
Hi

They polished it with sandstone.

Diorite takes a high sheen.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Hopefully, you didn't happen to have any loose change!
I'm a Yorkshireman, what do you think?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

01-08-2018, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I'm a Yorkshireman, what do you think?
I think a true Yorkshireman would have got some money from HIM!
bakerman
Mexico

01-08-2018, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

They polished it with sandstone.

Diorite takes a high sheen.
You are probably correct. I thought about that. However, how did they remove the scratches left by the sand ? Perhaps a finer and finer grade of sand ? That's as far as my thinking takes me.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2018, 10:38 PM

As we are talking all things Egyptian, there is something I have never quite understood.

Twice a year at Abu Simbel, the sun aligns perfectly with the statue of Ramses ll, on his birthday and his coronation day. Every year thousands of people witness this event and we all marvel at how clever the ancient Egyptians were.

The problem is that Abu Simbel was moved stone by stone in the 1960's so did that happen before it was moved and is the ingenuity of it really due to the ancient Egyptians or is it technically down to the people who moved it?
bakerman
Mexico

01-08-2018, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
As we are talking all things Egyptian, there is something I have never quite understood.

Twice a year at Abu Simbel, the sun aligns perfectly with the statue of Ramses ll, on his birthday and his coronation day. Every year thousands of people witness this event and we all marvel at how clever the ancient Egyptians were.

The problem is that Abu Simbel was moved stone by stone in the 1960's so did that happen before it was moved and is the ingenuity of it really due to the ancient Egyptians or is it technically down to the people who moved it?
I am 100% positive that the original Abu Simbel site lined up perfectly on those two dates. Note that of the 4 statues deep inside, only Seth is always in darkness. Seth, "the evil one", never gets to have the sun shine on him. Pretty cool, huh ?

Page 5 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top