Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:47 PM

Re: So much of life depends on choices and giving others a chance

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
You talking of the way things were decades ago .... for our mothers, and their mothers before them.
They stayed at home and raised the kids, didn't work. Didn't contribute to their own pensions.

Loads of women are very successful career women now ... and still juggle motherhood though admittedly will the fallback upon the very necessary creche or childminder.

Women's roles in society have become very blurred.
Womens Rights changed all that. It wasn't all good.
A women who actually prefers to stay at home , who believes a child's early years is with their mother probably feels out of time and out of step with the world now.
I'm not talking about the way things were years ago. I started work at age 17 and retired last year. I've contributed tax and National Insurance for all those years. Women who stayed at home and raised their kids, didn't contribute to pensions............ I DID. And so did very very many women. Those are the WASPI women. Get real. It is a VERY REAL ISSUE.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:48 PM

I waited an extra 5 years and 7 months for my State Pension, I'm happy with it.

There came a time a few years ago when I decided people only get one chance, I have been let down too many times by people I've given more than one chance to, no more.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
You've heard the expression "life's a bitch, a then you die?".

Judge this ..............
FACT: I'm one of the women whose pension was delayed by more years than it's possible to work and make up the difference.
I have older sisters who emigrated to Canada some years ago at some stage before the UK government delayed MY pension, they (the UK government) decided they needed to raise some cash, so wrote to all the expats approaching retirement age and asked if they'd like to pay £xxx they could have their UK pensions early!! So they got their pensions BEFORE retirement age AND ARE STILL GETTING THOSE PENSIONS............. #

How is that just and fair?
But Life isn't just and fair .... do you expect it to be?

We all have a gripe about something. Mine could be about endowment mortgages, and give me 10 minutes and I can probably think of another whole host of things that have scuppered my plans.
I'm retiring 6 years later than I anticipated, it might be 7, I'm not sure.
Do you regret not going to Canada at all ?

As to the 'Life's a bitch' saying.

Here's a couple more ...
Life is what happens to you whilst you're busy making other plans ..
Or ..
Time's changed me but I can't change time.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:57 PM

Waspi women were treated unfairly it's true, I paid all my NI stamps and moaned and moaned about not getting my pension, I got mine last November, too late for Heating Allowance for last year, I moaned about that.
Now I don't moan, I have everything I need, I get more than I would have if I'd got my pension at 60. As I've got older I realise I don't need lots of things.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:58 PM

I'm not talking about the way things were years ago. I started work at age 17 and retired last year. I've contributed tax and National Insurance for all those years. Women who stayed at home and raised their kids, didn't contribute to pensions............ I DID. And so did very very many women. Those are the WASPI women. Get real. It is a VERY REAL ISSUE.
Get real? But you can't change it so live with it.
You sound so damn angry about it. Do you want me to nail a few reinforcing struts on your orange box before it collapses under your jumping up and down?

I started work at 16 and I'm still paying stamps and tax. .. so shan't retire till 67. Am I peeved. Well I'm not best pleased but it's not going to raise my blood pressure.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
But Life isn't just and fair .... do you expect it to be?

Life is what happens to you whilst you're busy making other plans ..
Or ..
Time's changed me but I can't change time.
I know life isn't fair. But from what you say, life has been a great deal more fair for you, than it has for me........and I'll add that I'm probably far, far younger than you and have worked for many more years that you have and have juggled childcare and career very successfully, without jumping on others to take advantage. A little empathy goes a long way...............and occurs when one person is capable of understand another person's emotions from a more detached and calmer point of view. A person is incapable of empathy.........I'll leave you figure that out!
Lindyloo
isle of wight

23-10-2020, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Waspi women were treated unfairly it's true, I paid all my NI stamps and moaned and moaned about not getting my pension, I got mine last November, too late for Heating Allowance for last year, I moaned about that.
Now I don't moan, I have everything I need, I get more than I would have if I'd got my pension at 60. As I've got older I realise I don't need lots of things.
I also don't moan..............until some totally selfish person comes along and procrastinates without understanding!! Ignorant and selfish!

"You can't change it - so live with it" - Honest to God.............what a ridiculous, self indulgent, (too many G&T's?) thing to say!! What alternative is there? As I said before - Get Real!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

23-10-2020, 11:12 PM

I know life isn't fair. But from what you say, life has been a great deal more fair for you, than it has for me........and I'll add that I'm probably far, far younger than you and have worked for many more years that you have and have juggled childcare and career very successfully, without jumping on others to take advantage. A little empathy goes a long way...............and occurs when one person is capable of understand another person's emotions from a more detached and calmer point of view. A person is incapable of empathy.........I'll leave you figure that out!
How on earth do you draw the conclusion that life has been a great deal more fair for me?

Perhaps I'm just more philosophical than you?

I assume your other misconception is a typo ... in the heat of the moment.
You think you're far far younger than me?
I'm 58.
Born 1962, started work at 16 in 1978 and shall qualify for retirement in 2029.
Total working years = 51 years.
And by then there will be a vaccine for Covid, global warming will be solved, wars will be a thing of the past and all will be well with the world.
I am, afterall, an incurable optimist along with incurably philosphical about life.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

23-10-2020, 11:15 PM

I also don't moan..............until some totally selfish person comes along and procrastinates without understanding!! Ignorant and selfish!

"You can't change it - so live with it" - Honest to God.............what a ridiculous, self indulgent, (too many G&T's?) thing to say!! What alternative is there? As I said before - Get Real!
What an obnoxiously dictatorial aggressive woman you are.
Tell you what ... just stay old and bitter and twisted and continue to fester away.
You must live your life the way you think is the best way for you. Whatever helps get you through each day.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 11:37 PM

What a lively thread this is!...Thanks for starting it Minx. Makes a great change from Brexit. But choices?...We all (residents of first world countries) have them. Especially those that have enough time to sit and chat in a forum. Whenever I feel like being dictatorial, aggressive and obnoxious, I take some time to think about how lucky I am to have choices at all. And how I could be sitting in a shackled line with an AK47 or a knife held over me living on a bowl of rice a day. I appreciate the choices I have and respect those of others if they don't try to bully me. I am a homemaker and have been since I retired. My wife still works full time in a demanding profession and I enjoy looking after her and my student son. We've all worked hard and made good choices I think. But we still feel lucky. But then again we are just simple colonial pigs who wouldn't know sh*t from clay until the brick fell apart. What the hell does it matter what we think. One of these days maybe we'll get real. But at least we've got some manners.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top