Join for free
Page 4 of 25 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 01:21 PM

Re: Barnier Issues Ultimatum!

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Perfect indeed: bluff called.

IMHO it's boiling down to a war of wills.
Who "gives" first - but the EU still will not accept real sovereignty, which will turn out to be a real problem for them if it indeed does finalize as a "no deal".
For a number of reasons some of which I have talked about before, i.e. suing the EU.

The other big problem for the EU is that we do not actually have to do anything other than let the clock run down.
We do not have to cede anything, just stay until the end and then the line should be "Oh well we tried our best but the EU refused to accept our full sovereignty".

There is no escape from that for the EU if they do not give ground because not a single trade deal in the world has required a nation to cede sovereignty in the way the EU is demanding.

But back to these "negotiations" - it is going to be an interesting few days if Barnier is to save face.
He can't very well backpedal so it looks hopeful for an outcome.
Not certain, but hopeful.
Do you think the eu will learn to treat its best customers with respect
and not contempt anymore ??
Or do you think the arrogance is inbred ??
I find it satisfying to see Barmy scuttling back and forth across the
ditch instead of the traitor May??
As you say, quite an interesting week ahead l think !!

Donkeyman! 👍👍😁😁👍👍
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Do you think the eu will learn to treat its best customers with respect
and not contempt anymore ??
Or do you think the arrogance is inbred ??
I find it satisfying to see Barmy scuttling back and forth across the
ditch instead of the traitor May??
As you say, quite an interesting week ahead l think !!

Donkeyman! 👍👍😁😁👍👍
Oh I'm pretty sure that the arrogance is inbred and that the EU are unlikely to change.

When questioned about sovereignty for example they insist upon referring to their (EU) rules, which to me seems at odds with the fact that they are ignoring their own rules in other areas.
Which is typical of the EU as we have seen on so many occasions - like forcing Ireland & Denmark into multiple votes for example rather than accepting original results.
Look at the ongoing dispute with Poland & Hungary vs the EU too.

Personally I hope that this weekend is decisive, since we have all been kept waiting far too long.
That includes those EU citizens wondering about their futures, of which there are many.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 03:49 PM

Oh I'm pretty sure that the arrogance is inbred and that the EU are unlikely to change.

When questioned about sovereignty for example they insist upon referring to their (EU) rules, which to me seems at odds with the fact that they are ignoring their own rules in other areas.
Which is typical of the EU as we have seen on so many occasions - like forcing Ireland & Denmark into multiple votes for example rather than accepting original results.
Look at the ongoing dispute with Poland & Hungary vs the EU too.

Personally I hope that this weekend is decisive, since we have all been kept waiting far too long.
That includes those EU citizens wondering about their futures, of which there are many.

So far the EU negotiations are ending up in humiliation and failure for Barnier. Latest I heard is Barnier is offering us between 15% and 18% of our quotas back for a free trade deal

The bloke is delusional - he still doesn't understand what we voted for, but it will be funny watching him going home on the Eurostar empty handed.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
So far the EU negotiations are ending up in humiliation and failure for Barnier. Latest I heard is Barnier is offering us between 15% and 18% of our quotas back for a free trade deal

The bloke is delusional - he still doesn't understand what we voted for, but it will be funny watching him going home on the Eurostar empty handed.

He is indeed delusional.

Here's the latest spin on things from the biased Beeb:

' On Friday we heard talk of Michel Barnier being about to propose that between 15% and 18% of the fish quota caught in UK waters by EU fleets would be restored to the UK under a free trade agreement. That was later dismissed by a number of European diplomats, as merely one of "many proposals doing the rounds". .......
But whatever happens on the fish front - and Brussels knows it has some big compromises to make - as much as the EU wants a deal with the UK, it's unlikely to let go of its insistence on two other issues: common competition regulations and a tough means of policing them." '

It looks like even the BBC think it likely that no deal it is, then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55106114

P.S.
Have you all seen how poor the polling puts opinion of the BBC at this week?
"BBC news output receives lowest impartiality score of any British broadcaster, new survey finds"
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...h-broadcaster/
Zaphod
Lincs UK

27-11-2020, 08:12 PM

Here's the full text of Lord Frost's reaction when asked about negotiations:

“Some people are asking me why we are still talking. My answer is that it’s my job to do my utmost to see if the conditions for a deal exist. It is late, but a deal is still possible, and I will continue to talk until it’s clear that it isn’t. But for a deal to be possible it must fully respect UK sovereignty. That is not just a word – it has practical consequences. That includes: controlling our borders; deciding ourselves on a robust and principled subsidy control system; and controlling our fishing waters. We look to reach an agreement on this basis, allowing the new beginning to our relationship with the EU which, for our part, we have always wanted. We will continue to work hard to get it – because an agreement on any other basis is not possible.”
(Thanks to https://order-order.com/quote/ for the full text)

You stick to your guns, Lord Frost!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 09:03 PM

Here's the full text of Lord Frost's reaction when asked about negotiations:

“Some people are asking me why we are still talking. My answer is that it’s my job to do my utmost to see if the conditions for a deal exist. It is late, but a deal is still possible, and I will continue to talk until it’s clear that it isn’t. But for a deal to be possible it must fully respect UK sovereignty. That is not just a word – it has practical consequences. That includes: controlling our borders; deciding ourselves on a robust and principled subsidy control system; and controlling our fishing waters. We look to reach an agreement on this basis, allowing the new beginning to our relationship with the EU which, for our part, we have always wanted. We will continue to work hard to get it – because an agreement on any other basis is not possible.”
(Thanks to https://order-order.com/quote/ for the full text)

You stick to your guns, Lord Frost!
I hereby appoint you, Zaphod, as chief brexit bullettin co-ordinator
for OFF Forum forthwith !!

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
Zaphod
Lincs UK

27-11-2020, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I hereby appoint you, Zaphod, as chief brexit bullettin co-ordinator
for OFF Forum forthwith !!

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍

Wrong one!
I said "Thanks", not ......

Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 09:57 PM

Cheeky bastard. Offering us 15-18% of OUR fish! Tell him to get stuffed Frosty.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Cheeky bastard. Offering us 15-18% of OUR fish! Tell him to get stuffed Frosty.
What has the Captain got to do with this?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 10:41 AM

I thought Barnier was giving us 48 hours or he is walking away ?

Back he comes ....

Page 4 of 25 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top