Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 08:33 AM

Side effects of Statins

I'm exploring the possibility of my simvastatin causing or contributing to plantar fasciitis. I stopped taking them last week and haven't had any pains in my feet since then and am planning not to recommence the statins for another week, by which time I will have walked a total of about 50 miles. I start taking them again for a fortnight and see what happens then but wonder if anyone else has identified side effects caused by statins.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 10:05 AM

Re: Side effects of Statins

Lindyloo, this is a difficult question to answer!

I am a diabetic so was persuaded to take Statins maybe 10 years ago but stopped taking them for 2 years as I thought they were causing muscle pain. I then had a blood test which showed my cholesterol level had gone up, so started to take them again... as the muscle pain didn't go away when I wasn't taking them!

I now have plantar fasciitis, which comes and goes whether I take statins or not, so it is probably just a result of my diabetes rather than the statins.

They prescribe statins to help reduce the blood in your arteries clotting, as this can result in heart disease or stroke.
All medicines can have adverse effects on your body, so I suppose that choosing which we take can help stop some pain, but then you are at risk of other problems!

Sadly something will kill us all eventually but I wish you good luck in your research.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 10:42 AM

I was persuaded by my doctor to take simvastatin several years ago due to my high blood pressure (for which I take other medication). After a while on the statin I started to get very bad cramps in my leg muscles and in my toes, really painful. I spoke to the doctor and she took me off the simvastatin for a while and the cramps stopped almost immediately. However, my cholesterol level gradually crept up again and I was warned about strokes and the like again so I agreed to take a different statin from the simvastatin that had caused my problems. The doctor prescribed atorvastatin, which I have been taking for about 12 months now with no side effects. The nurse at the surgery said that they no longer prescribe simvastatin due to the side effects that many people seem to have when taking it. So maybe that would be something you might consider if your experiment shows that the simvastatin is causing your problem.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 10:44 AM

Hi Lindyloo my fellow members in a health support group
suggest it is advisable to take CoQ10 with statins to help prevent statin-induced myopathy though studies of its effectiveness have proved inconclusive.

https://www.sps.nhs.uk/articles/shou...uced-myopathy/

If you are older and can't covert CoQ10 in your body, Ubiquinol which is more expensive is recommended.

I am not a fan of supplements believing that a good diet should provided all that is needed. I have since changed my mind after developing a Vitamin D3 deficiency which severely affected my mobility and was redressed with a supplement prescribed by my doctor .

I have been taking Ubiquinol on the advice of a pharmacist support group friend for 4 weeks (not statin related) and don't want to temp fate but have had some amazing results.
Somtimes you just need to try things and see if it helps.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I'm exploring the possibility of my simvastatin causing or contributing to plantar fasciitis. I stopped taking them last week and haven't had any pains in my feet since then and am planning not to recommence the statins for another week, by which time I will have walked a total of about 50 miles. I start taking them again for a fortnight and see what happens then but wonder if anyone else has identified side effects caused by statins.
That simvastatin caused me problems too, as did atorvastatin, but when my doc switched me to Crestor (rosuvastatin) 99% of my problems vanished with only a few mild twinges. When I started taking co-enzime Q-10 as well, those twinges completely went away. I'm now on the minimum 5mg tablet as a maintenance dose of Crestor and my review figures for lipids (especially cholesterol) are to quote my doc ''enviably fantastic'' Statins are known to reduce Q-10 in the circulating blood so hence my daily 30mg supplement tablet.
CoQ10 has been routinely used to treat muscle breakdown associated as a side effect of use of statin medications.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 12:42 PM

Thank you for all your very informative responses.

Just back from a 3 mile walk to the beach and back on hard pavements, which would normally trigger the plantar fasciitis, but didn't on today!

I was put on statins some years ago after a routine blood test showed high cholesterol which remained high after a period of paying greater attention to my diet and was then deemed to be genetic.

I was switched to Crestor in 2015 and took them for less than a month - so must have had some issue with them so will do some research before asking for a different statin. I'll also get some CoQ10 or Ubiquinol after the positive recommendations here.

Thanks again - really appreciate your replies.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 01:42 PM

I took statins for years and had muscle pain, tried different statins, then after being on them for over 6 years, I had the most painful foot, which turned out to be planter fasciitis, Dr prescribed anti inflammatory tablets, and I had to have a bag of frozen peas under my foot every night...eventually the pain went away,but I stopped the statins .the statins raised my blood sugar too,which has gone back to normal since I stopped them. I did read somewhere that statins can cause P F.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
I was persuaded by my doctor to take simvastatin several years ago due to my high blood pressure (for which I take other medication). After a while on the statin I started to get very bad cramps in my leg muscles and in my toes, really painful. I spoke to the doctor and she took me off the simvastatin for a while and the cramps stopped almost immediately. However, my cholesterol level gradually crept up again and I was warned about strokes and the like again so I agreed to take a different statin from the simvastatin that had caused my problems. The doctor prescribed atorvastatin, which I have been taking for about 12 months now with no side effects. The nurse at the surgery said that they no longer prescribe simvastatin due to the side effects that many people seem to have when taking it. So maybe that would be something you might consider if your experiment shows that the simvastatin is causing your problem.
That is interesting MargaetF. I now remember that my GP changed my Atorvastatin to Simvastatin and it was then that I started to get the muscle pains... probably a cost cutting exercise! I stopped taking them, but when my cholesterol went up I told the doctor that I would only take statins again if he put me back on Atorvastatin. I seem to be ok with them, so maybe it would help Lindyloo because we are all different so what helps some may cause problems for others.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 03:18 PM

I'm on Atorvastatin's (Lipitor) 40mg since July with no side effect's, prescribed because my Cholesterol was sky high, over 6.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 03:32 PM

I've been on Atorvastatin 20mg for 3 or 4 years but throughout the last year or so I've noticed something wrong with my toes, not really pain more a numbness and tingling which started on my right foot and is now on both feet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top