Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 09:02 PM

Re: The Demise Of The Family Doctor?

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
– Snip –

So what happens, the people leave and the government hire in replacements from abroad who are prepared to accept lower wages and the same working conditions.

– Snip –
Not only from abroad and even more ironically, those same nurses who leave the NHS often take work as agency nurses and are re-hired at far higher wages, for working at those same hospitals they originally left.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 09:15 PM

I remember when a surgery near to me tried to block plans for a huge new housing estate not long ago.
You could see the plans and objections online on the council website.

The doctors lodged a complaint and said they were not only concerned about security at the practice and adjoining pharmacy, but they could not cope with such a huge influx of new patients. They couldn't extend the surgery as there was no more land to extend it building to. It was also put forward that the local infants/juniors would never cope with such an influx.
The planners still passed it, and the houses were built.

Another thing I've noticed with GP's too, along with many of the hospital doctors, is that a huge number of white doctors have gone.
Has anyone else noticed this in their area?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I remember when a surgery near to me tried to block plans for a huge new housing estate not long ago.

The doctors lodged a complaint and said they were not only concerned about security at the practice and adjoining pharmacy, but they could not cope with such a huge influx of new patients. They couldn't extend the surgery as there was no more land to extend it building to. It was also put forward that the local infants/juniors would never cope with such an influx.
Ridiculous. Not just the lack of doctors and other facilities, but the fact that planners and councils generally don't seem to have any common sense these days.
I wonder whether the time will come when, like China, our authorities will introduce restrictions on birth rate and immigration.

Another thing I've noticed with GP's anow the hospital doctors as well, is that a huge number of white doctors are gone.
This is very true. Certainly, I have noticed it both at my GP's and in the hospitals I have visited.
The cause, no doubt, is that pay and working conditions are better in some other countries. Who can blame doctors (and other professionals) if they have spent over 7 years gaining qualifications, regarded as excellent throughout the world, who then see life in another country.
It used to be argued that if this country has trained them they should be obliged to work here for a specified period, but of course that is no longer the case: graduates have paid for their university courses these days.

If the government wants to retain its best, it should make the country sufficiently attractive to them. Cessation of foreign aid could pay for increased salaries for these people. It is long overdue that we stopped trying to feed the world.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Ridiculous. Not just the lack of doctors and other facilities, but the fact that planners and councils generally don't seem to have any common sense these days.
I wonder whether the time will come when, like China, our authorities will introduce restrictions on birth rate and immigration.

This is very true. Certainly, I have noticed it both at my GP's and in the hospitals I have visited.
The cause, no doubt, is that pay and working conditions are better in some other countries. Who can blame doctors (and other professionals) if they have spent over 7 years gaining qualifications, regarded as excellent throughout the world, who then see life in another country.
It used to be argued that if this country has trained them they should be obliged to work here for a specified period, but of course that is no longer the case: graduates have paid for their university courses these days.

If the government wants to retain its best, it should make the country sufficiently attractive to them. Cessation of foreign aid could pay for increased salaries for these people. It is long overdue that we stopped trying to feed the world.

Yes, I agree with you JBR.
I heard that one of my doctors from yesteryear had left to do only private patients now.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 10:18 PM

Another thing I've noticed with GP's too, along with many of the hospital doctors, is that a huge number of white doctors have gone.
The last time I was in Spain I saw a sign that said "English Speaking Doctors" and I thought wow! we don't have them here.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
The last time I was in Spain I saw a sign that said "English Speaking Doctors" and I thought wow! we don't have them here.....
To be fair, the dusky coloured ones I have been seen by have all been excellent. They even speak better English than most.

I assume, then, that our authorities are still taking care to maintain our standards.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2020, 12:34 AM

See, this is what I do not understand with the local councils. The residents of many towns in Kent are having exactly the same problem. Both GP's and schools are putting in objections to new large housing developments saying they will not be able to cope with the influx of people taking up the new builds and the council just ignore their objections. The housing get's built and the GP's and schools then complain to the council that they cannot cope. Are all local councillors around the country just as dumb?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

20-12-2020, 12:39 AM

See, this is what I do not understand with the local councils. The residents of many towns in Kent are having exactly the same problem. Both GP's and schools are putting in objections to new large housing developments saying they will not be able to cope with the influx of people taking up the new builds and the council just ignore their objections. The housing get's built and the GP's and schools then complain to the council that they cannot cope. Are all local councillors around the country just as dumb?
Our problem is that we are the ones who elect the councillors.

We know what to do now!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-12-2020, 01:28 AM

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's often a case of who y'know and/or a few back back handers, Dodge.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2020, 11:53 AM

They know that for every house built they will get an extra £1000 at least in council tax....

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top