Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 08:30 AM

Re: Thomas Cook

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
– Snip –

The Thomas Cook employees have lost their income.
Not forgetting of course all those businesses that relied on Thomas Cook for their work. The loss of jobs doesn't stop with just that company, there will be many thousands of other people who may lose their income as a result.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Not forgetting of course all those businesses that relied on Thomas Cook for their work. The loss of jobs doesn't stop with just that company, there will be many thousands of other people who may lose their income as a result.
That's right Baz, as I spoke about in my earlier post
The support staff, suppliers, caterers, cleaning staff and even their solicitors and those people in the background who were contracted out to Thomas Cook.

My mate's daughter is a freelance travel agent (and a former Thomas Cook courier) whose main point of contact was Thomas Cook for helping her with her business and she will be hit very hard by this collapse.

I know in my job if we lose a contract for a big customer, i.e. they stop the tender with us and go somewhere else, we sometimes lose many hundreds of thousands of pounds in revenue. That goes down the line: It affects the company's profits and in turn the staff sometimes lose their jobs (usually slimming down office staff or losing agency workers) and ultimately we miss out on a bonus payment, which we all look forward to every six months. They don't have to pay us a bonus but it's a nice gesture and a reflection on the company doing well and it's a moral booster, which is most welcome.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 09:11 AM

That's right Baz, as I spoke about in my earlier post
The support staff, suppliers, caterers, cleaning staff and even their solicitors and those people in the background who were contracted out to Thomas Cook.

– Snip –
Apologies Floydy, I missed your earlier post.

A young family member of mine, just starting out in the world of work, was hoping to get full-time work with Thomas Cook. She was working freelance on an 'as and when required' basis, filling in for maternity and sickness leave of those employed full-time in their design and graphics department. When the last 'warning signs' occurred she was 'no longer required', probably just as well as it happens. Just another example though of how the demise of a company can affect so many.

When I was working we used to have a saying 'any job is only worth a fortnight', relating to the notice period usually required when leaving a job. That took away some of the awful feelings of disappointment, whatever the reasons for the job going. It was then on to find other employment. 'Onwards and upwards' as was another saying.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 09:30 AM

Apologies Floydy, I missed your earlier post.

A young family member of mine, just starting out in the world of work, was hoping to get full-time work with Thomas Cook. She was working freelance on an 'as and when required' basis, filling in for maternity and sickness leave of those employed full-time in their design and graphics department. When the last 'warning signs' occurred she was 'no longer required', probably just as well as it happens. Just another example though of how the demise of a company can affect so many.

When I was working we used to have a saying 'any job is only worth a fortnight', relating to the notice period usually required when leaving a job. That took away some of the awful feelings of disappointment, whatever the reasons for the job going. It was then on to find other employment. 'Onwards and upwards' as was another saying.
You can never be too sure about a job, Baz. Even if a job seems to have great security it could fold overnight, as Thomas Cook has shown.
It's the big wigs in charge who should be accountable though. They have obviously been running their company without too much 'hands-on' experience and it's been going down the swanny, obliviously to them probably. They will mainly have been playing around on the private millionaire yachts to take any notice.

Does this ring any bells? Philip Green? That bastard is still living in the lap of luxury while his past employees are struggling on the bones of the arse every week without pensions or redundancy packages.
Baz46

24-09-2019, 10:28 AM

– Snip –

Does this ring any bells? Philip Green? That bastard is still living in the lap of luxury while his past employees are struggling on the bones of the arse every week without pensions or redundancy packages.
Yes it certainly does, and memories of another one from 30 years' ago – Robert Maxwell (now dead). He 'raided' the Mirror Group pensions fund to the tune of about £460 million. Employees who had contributed all their working lives to ensure comfortable retirements lost out totally, many died without receiving a penny of their pensions. An appalling scandal and one that was never resolved either.

Interesting to note Robert Maxwell's chequered past, especially his 'connections', just look at his luxurious lifestyle on the link below:

"His death on 5 November 1991 shocked the country. Shock turned to anger within weeks when a £460m hole was discovered in the pension funds of his companies. A borrower of unimaginable scale, he had illegally raided the funds to prop up his empire, which was on the brink of collapse. Headlines such as The Man Who Saved the Mirror were swiftly replaced by Maxwell: The Robber."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...hter-ghislaine

More information on this link to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Maxwell
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

24-09-2019, 10:35 AM

Yes it certainly does, and memories of another one from 30 years' ago – Robert Maxwell (now dead). He 'raided' the Mirror Group pensions fund to the tune of about £460 million. Employees who had contributed all their working lives to ensure comfortable retirements lost out totally, many died without receiving a penny of their pensions. An appalling scandal and one that was never resolved either.

Interesting to note Robert Maxwell's chequered past, especially his 'connections', just look at his luxurious lifestyle on the link below:

"His death on 5 November 1991 shocked the country. Shock turned to anger within weeks when a £460m hole was discovered in the pension funds of his companies. A borrower of unimaginable scale, he had illegally raided the funds to prop up his empire, which was on the brink of collapse. Headlines such as The Man Who Saved the Mirror were swiftly replaced by Maxwell: The Robber."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...hter-ghislaine

More information on this link to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Maxwell
I remember it well, Baz. Just a pity he wasn't ever brought to account for his failings and took the easy way out by killing himself (allegedly, drowning or 'falling off' his yacht).
He was the biggest money-grabbing thief in business the world has ever known.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 11:47 AM

No one supports those who are left without pay or money owed they are just cast adrift . I think unemployment benefit is about £63 per week now . How can they live on that . These are people who have been loyal staff and workers . Yet the big wig directors shave off all they can prior to the liquidation .

I feel for these unemployed people today .
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
No one supports those who are left without pay or money owed they are just cast adrift . I think unemployment benefit is about £63 per week now . How can they live on that . These are people who have been loyal staff and workers . Yet the big wig directors shave off all they can prior to the liquidation .

I feel for these unemployed people today .
Single person Newstyle JSA
£ 57 .90. Under 25
£ 73. 10 otherwise

This is useful .https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/jsa
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 12:53 PM

Zuleika Thankyou . That isn't enough money to live on is it . I feel for them
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Zuliika Thankyou . That isn't enough money to live on is it . I feel for them
Thousands all over the country are having to tho .
Another useful site https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...u-can-get-jsa/

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top