Join for free
Reply
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Baz46's Avatar
Baz46
Senior Member
Baz46 is online now
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,560
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-09-2019, 08:30 AM
31

Re: Thomas Cook

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Snip

The Thomas Cook employees have lost their income.
Not forgetting of course all those businesses that relied on Thomas Cook for their work. The loss of jobs doesn't stop with just that company, there will be many thousands of other people who may lose their income as a result.
Reply With Quote
Floydy's Avatar
Floydy
Chatterbox
Floydy is online now
East Yorkshire
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,596
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-09-2019, 08:42 AM
32

Re: Thomas Cook

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Not forgetting of course all those businesses that relied on Thomas Cook for their work. The loss of jobs doesn't stop with just that company, there will be many thousands of other people who may lose their income as a result.
That's right Baz, as I spoke about in my earlier post
The support staff, suppliers, caterers, cleaning staff and even their solicitors and those people in the background who were contracted out to Thomas Cook.

My mate's daughter is a freelance travel agent (and a former Thomas Cook courier) whose main point of contact was Thomas Cook for helping her with her business and she will be hit very hard by this collapse.

I know in my job if we lose a contract for a big customer, i.e. they stop the tender with us and go somewhere else, we sometimes lose many hundreds of thousands of pounds in revenue. That goes down the line: It affects the company's profits and in turn the staff sometimes lose their jobs (usually slimming down office staff or losing agency workers) and ultimately we miss out on a bonus payment, which we all look forward to every six months. They don't have to pay us a bonus but it's a nice gesture and a reflection on the company doing well and it's a moral booster, which is most welcome.
Reply With Quote
Baz46's Avatar
Baz46
Senior Member
Baz46 is online now
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,560
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-09-2019, 09:11 AM
33

Re: Thomas Cook

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
That's right Baz, as I spoke about in my earlier post
The support staff, suppliers, caterers, cleaning staff and even their solicitors and those people in the background who were contracted out to Thomas Cook.

Snip
Apologies Floydy, I missed your earlier post.

A young family member of mine, just starting out in the world of work, was hoping to get full-time work with Thomas Cook. She was working freelance on an 'as and when required' basis, filling in for maternity and sickness leave of those employed full-time in their design and graphics department. When the last 'warning signs' occurred she was 'no longer required', probably just as well as it happens. Just another example though of how the demise of a company can affect so many.

When I was working we used to have a saying 'any job is only worth a fortnight', relating to the notice period usually required when leaving a job. That took away some of the awful feelings of disappointment, whatever the reasons for the job going. It was then on to find other employment. 'Onwards and upwards' as was another saying.
Reply With Quote
Floydy's Avatar
Floydy
Chatterbox
Floydy is online now
East Yorkshire
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,596
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-09-2019, 09:30 AM
34

Re: Thomas Cook

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Apologies Floydy, I missed your earlier post.

A young family member of mine, just starting out in the world of work, was hoping to get full-time work with Thomas Cook. She was working freelance on an 'as and when required' basis, filling in for maternity and sickness leave of those employed full-time in their design and graphics department. When the last 'warning signs' occurred she was 'no longer required', probably just as well as it happens. Just another example though of how the demise of a company can affect so many.

When I was working we used to have a saying 'any job is only worth a fortnight', relating to the notice period usually required when leaving a job. That took away some of the awful feelings of disappointment, whatever the reasons for the job going. It was then on to find other employment. 'Onwards and upwards' as was another saying.
You can never be too sure about a job, Baz. Even if a job seems to have great security it could fold overnight, as Thomas Cook has shown.
It's the big wigs in charge who should be accountable though. They have obviously been running their company without too much 'hands-on' experience and it's been going down the swanny, obliviously to them probably. They will mainly have been playing around on the private millionaire yachts to take any notice.

Does this ring any bells? Philip Green? That bastard is still living in the lap of luxury while his past employees are struggling on the bones of the arse every week without pensions or redundancy packages.
Reply With Quote
Baz46's Avatar
Baz46
Senior Member
Baz46 is online now
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Joined: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,560
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-09-2019, 10:28 AM
35

Re: Thomas Cook

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Snip

Does this ring any bells? Philip Green? That bastard is still living in the lap of luxury while his past employees are struggling on the bones of the arse every week without pensions or redundancy packages.
Yes it certainly does, and memories of another one from 30 years' ago Robert Maxwell (now dead). He 'raided' the Mirror Group pensions fund to the tune of about 460 million. Employees who had contributed all their working lives to ensure comfortable retirements lost out totally, many died without receiving a penny of their pensions. An appalling scandal and one that was never resolved either.

Interesting to note Robert Maxwell's chequered past, especially his 'connections', just look at his luxurious lifestyle on the link below:

"His death on 5 November 1991 shocked the country. Shock turned to anger within weeks when a 460m hole was discovered in the pension funds of his companies. A borrower of unimaginable scale, he had illegally raided the funds to prop up his empire, which was on the brink of collapse. Headlines such as The Man Who Saved the Mirror were swiftly replaced by Maxwell: The Robber."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...hter-ghislaine

More information on this link to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Maxwell
Reply With Quote
Floydy's Avatar
Floydy
Chatterbox
Floydy is online now
East Yorkshire
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 13,596
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-09-2019, 10:35 AM
36

Re: Thomas Cook

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Yes it certainly does, and memories of another one from 30 years' ago Robert Maxwell (now dead). He 'raided' the Mirror Group pensions fund to the tune of about 460 million. Employees who had contributed all their working lives to ensure comfortable retirements lost out totally, many died without receiving a penny of their pensions. An appalling scandal and one that was never resolved either.

Interesting to note Robert Maxwell's chequered past, especially his 'connections', just look at his luxurious lifestyle on the link below:

"His death on 5 November 1991 shocked the country. Shock turned to anger within weeks when a 460m hole was discovered in the pension funds of his companies. A borrower of unimaginable scale, he had illegally raided the funds to prop up his empire, which was on the brink of collapse. Headlines such as The Man Who Saved the Mirror were swiftly replaced by Maxwell: The Robber."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...hter-ghislaine

More information on this link to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Maxwell
I remember it well, Baz. Just a pity he wasn't ever brought to account for his failings and took the easy way out by killing himself (allegedly, drowning or 'falling off' his yacht).
He was the biggest money-grabbing thief in business the world has ever known.
Reply With Quote
susan m's Avatar
susan m
Senior Member
susan m is online now
DORSET UK
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,342
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-09-2019, 11:47 AM
37

Re: Thomas Cook

No one supports those who are left without pay or money owed they are just cast adrift . I think unemployment benefit is about 63 per week now . How can they live on that . These are people who have been loyal staff and workers . Yet the big wig directors shave off all they can prior to the liquidation .

I feel for these unemployed people today .
Reply With Quote
Zuleika
Senior Member
Zuleika is offline
UK
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,082
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-09-2019, 12:48 PM
38

Re: Thomas Cook

Originally Posted by susan m ->
No one supports those who are left without pay or money owed they are just cast adrift . I think unemployment benefit is about 63 per week now . How can they live on that . These are people who have been loyal staff and workers . Yet the big wig directors shave off all they can prior to the liquidation .

I feel for these unemployed people today .
Single person Newstyle JSA
57 .90. Under 25
73. 10 otherwise

This is useful .https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/jsa
Reply With Quote
susan m's Avatar
susan m
Senior Member
susan m is online now
DORSET UK
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,342
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-09-2019, 12:53 PM
39

Re: Thomas Cook

Zuleika Thankyou . That isn't enough money to live on is it . I feel for them
Reply With Quote
Zuleika
Senior Member
Zuleika is offline
UK
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,082
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
24-09-2019, 12:56 PM
40

Re: Thomas Cook

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Zuliika Thankyou . That isn't enough money to live on is it . I feel for them
Thousands all over the country are having to tho .
Another useful site https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...u-can-get-jsa/
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.