Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 10:30 AM

Re: Forgive and forget, or bear a grudge?

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
No worries, it's just that we do these thing without thinking about what we are doing.
When we each pay attention to our make up, it is the specific topic that dominates our attitudes, and forgiveness or grudge etc. Therefore we cannot (myself included) cannot make a sweeping statement like we always forgive rather than condemn, because we don't, do we ?
Everybody is affected in different ways. We are not robots (unless you live in the Netherlands). We should not tar everybody with the same brush and that is why I asked for other people opinions. We all behave differently and that is why most of us can converse without disagreement, unless you are firmly based in the political arena of course. Then you will have no other way of understanding conversation, it will be a one-way affair.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Me? I neither forgive or forget.

If someone gives me grief then I'll either just write it off (but never forgive it) or get even irrespective of how long it takes, though I might just write it off after a while.

Forget?

Never.
Yes, maybe 'forget' is the wrong word. Unless we have a terrible memory we are not going to forget such things.
Forgiveness is different in every situation and people deal with things according to the particular event.
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 10:33 AM

It depends on how deep the hurt.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 10:46 AM

Big part of my ethos is forgiving I really find hanging onto anger or hurt destroys me more than the other person.

I think it's why on forums I struggle a bit because if someone annoys me I forgive them second time I forgive them 100 times they do it I find myself snapping back and all thought of forgiving them goes out the window.

We had great anger here over a situation few years ago it took a while to come to a point of forgiving the person for what they did. We can never forget but we have forgiven.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 10:56 AM

Hi

Don't get mad, get even.

Don't get even, get ahead.

That is how I view life when someone does me down.

Make my family cry and I am their worst nightmare.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 11:01 AM

Revenge never end well for anyone IMO and when you only here one side of story it's particularly dangerous.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I try forgive and forget Floydy but some things are just unforgivable in those cases I have to admit I do cut people out of my life.....life is too short to share or with people you have lost trust in.
Damn right. I didn't contact my useless father for 30 years and when he died not one of his four children went to the funeral, so I wasn't the only one who removed him from my life. Some things you just can't forgive.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 11:57 AM

There are people who have upset me and hurt me in various ways but after the initial upset & brooding I just cut them out of my life & put them out of my mind.

I wouldn't say I bear a grudge because I don't think about them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by cuphalffull ->
It depends on how deep the hurt.

Well said, and simply put.
I agree.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 02:30 PM

I must admit has a younger man I would get even I would pulverise them in some way or make them look so silly. These days though I ain't got that strength in me so now its all about trust.
There are those family members (on her side) that I will never trust again. I will spend the day if they visit the missus saying hello or goodbye when I walk through a room but never trust them.
She thinks I am silly ,who give a fig,there are things you don't do to family.
They did something once they will never get the chance to do it again.
Lets hope I never get dementia, I would never want to let them have another good day in my presence .

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top