Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 03:04 PM

Re: Tension

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
lol Floydy, your post reminded me of when the family made their annual pilgrimage to Rathkeale, Co. Limerick to visit my Irish dad's huge family in the mid 70's
We had travelled over in a Minibus, just family. There were 14 of us in a 16-seater bus, Adults, teenagers, and small children.
After we had spent a week there, (Rathkeale was renowned for being an IRA stronghold town since 1922) we headed over to my Irish mother's part of the Island to Co Kerry to visit her side of the family..

Just after leaving Rathkeale, one of the children decided they wanted the toilet, You know what it's like, once one child wants to go, so do the others, so, although we were travelling down country roads and lanes because it was a quicker and nicer scenic route, we spotted a pub in the middle of nowhere (shop counter at the front, bar at the back). I think the person serving had a bit of a shock when a hoard of English speaking men, women and children poured in and started to buy loads of stuff from her. She had a face like a wet kipper until she started talking to Mum and Dad, and found out where they hailed f from.

Then the children again, decided that they wanted to sit down in the bar at the back for their glasses of lemonade and orange drinks that they simply could not do without. So we all traipsed over to open the door to the bar. Inside were about a dozen men sitting around two tables, they had been chatting away because we could hear them from the shop front. But the moment we walked in, the room went completely and utterly silent. Not a word was spoken, all these men could hear were English voices chattering away amongst ourselves. One could have cut the atmosphere with a knife it was so quiet. It was really uncomfortable. (and very scary)

Thankfully, once again, Mum and Dad broke the ice and started chatting, and these men soon found that they were Irish and where they were from,a couple of the men even knew some of Dad's brothers from Rathkeale as they were in the same professions greyhound and horse training, they told them that we were on holiday to see family and seemed to relax a little. But my brothers, girlfriends and I could see that some of the men were still watching us with suspicion, and obvious dislike at hearing the English accent being spoken in what was obviously their inner sanctum.
I was so glad to leave to be honest, especially as I was at that time, on leave from the forces!! gulp!

I have never known tension like it when we entered that building. We spent the next half hour after leaving, just talking about it.
Lol! Precisely, SSG. What a great story, but a place which I would have felt so uncomfortable being in. At least you managed to 'talk' the locals round a bit in the end!
Sounds a bit like this place:
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Tension to do with feelings? Yes, it can often be sensed shortly after joining the company of others who are upset with each other for one reason or another.
To be honest, I don't feel any tension in such situations.

Either I find it amusing (depending on the participants), or I feel sad when people who I particularly like fall out.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 04:39 PM

Yes,Mart,...my friend pointed that out to me a few days back,....that she could feel the tension between Ellen (a friend)and myself,which in turn made her feel uncomfortable ,...so yesterday I "Zipped it"....that was real difficult to do!...but did feel good after I left her house.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I've felt very high tension in some people's houses. It happened when I touched somewhere I shouldn't have inside the back of a TV while carrying out a repair. High Tension Voltage, definitely a hazard.
Not exactly HT, but I recall an instance when I was much younger; perhaps around 20.

I was with a couple of friends in one of their homes, in front of an electric fire. One of the friends worked as a TV repair technician and was advising us about electricity.

Incidentally, he used to leave charged capacitors under his bed at home for his mum's benefit when she was 'tidying up'. That did appeal to me! But that's another story.

He was trying to convince us that if we touched a live part of the electric fire, because we were sitting on a thick carpet, we would not receive a shock if we were not 'earthed' anywhere. He demonstrated, and proved his words to be quite correct!

Then trying to persuade us to have a go (and bearing in mind that he was probably well used to the occasional shock, or had a higher resistant skin to me) I, of course, refused.

He then tried to assure us it was perfectly safe by soldering a 1 amp fuse into the cable he was using to connect to the fire. Fortunately, I was not convinced!

I suppose he ought to have known that a small number of milliamps can be enough to kill you!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Have you ever felt Tension in a room?
Yes I have just put my garters on and their 'tension' will stop my socks decending into my wellingtons when I take Chloe for her late walk
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 10:07 PM

Lets forget the Forum for a moment, what about a waiting room, maybe in a Hospital??
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-10-2019, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Yes I have just put my garters on and their 'tension' will stop my socks decending into my wellingtons when I take Chloe for her late walk
Perhaps you should try suspenders.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=...QplAcQQ4dUDCAc

So much choice!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Perhaps you should try suspenders.

So much choice!
Thanks, JB but my home made garters of thick elastic work just fine
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-10-2019, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Thanks, JB but my home made garters of thick elastic work just fine
You're welcome. I like to be helpful.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top