Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 05:53 PM

Re: Noisy cars

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Never mind LD old fruit, soon all cars will be electric and sneaking up on people from behind in country lanes.
Sometimes, if the wind is in the right direction, of a quiet summer evening, I can here the drifters up the Gorge.
That'll be fun too.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Yes.
I used to have a Jag XJS V12.
We were on our way back to the office after a pub lunch and my admin assistant was with me. We stopped at a Give Way sign.
"You've stalled it" she scolded me.
Yes, it really was that quiet. Quieter than my boss's Roller.
Quietest car I ever had was a Subaru Forester which had a 2litre flat four Boxer engine and, like your Jag, on tickover you literally didn't know the engine was running unless you looked at the rev counter.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I think that the attitude of that arsehole Clarkson and others like him who revel in the `throaty` noises pumped out of the exhaust pipes of sporty cars have created the problem. It's the same mentality of those young morons skittling up and down roads on their weedy and under-powered 2-stroke mopeds/scooters who think it's fun to rev the arse off their machines in a low gear just to hear the noise it makes and in some instances, drill small holes in the exhaust to make them sound more powerful than they actually are.

I couldn't imagine anything worse than tootling down a motorway with a mid-engined sports jobby growling away at the back of the drivers seat. Would give me a real doozy of a headache.

I much prefer gliding along in a near silent car where you can at least hear the radio.
Yes I think you have a point there Judd. There is one guy however who loves to rev his bike to the max past Sainsbury's and along residential streets and he is probably in his forties. Tried getting his number but he is too fast.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 11:55 PM

In answer to the OP, I believe there are two types of motorist who drive their cars with over-loud exhausts.

One is the perfectly innocent person whose exhaust has blown and perhaps they can't yet afford to have it replaced or repaired.

The other is the asinine boy racer type who feels that a loud exhaust makes him a person to be admired or even feared by others.
The opposite, of course, is how most people feel about him!

As an aside, I hear many motorcyclists who also rejoice in 'making their presence felt', and assume it is for the same reason - an attempt to impress others!

In fact, a good friend of ours (Marge's ex-boss) has a motorbike so I asked him the question. He assured me that an ineffective silencer was less likely to restrict the power of the engine. I'm not sure I believe that! After all, most cars have bigger engines than motorbikes yet (with a properly working silencer) they are much quieter than motorbikes.

I'm sure someone here will explain the matter to me!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

If only we had some police.
What are they, Dongles?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
In answer to the OP, I believe there are two types of motorist who drive their cars with over-loud exhausts.

One is the perfectly innocent person whose exhaust has blown and perhaps they can't yet afford to have it replaced or repaired.

The other is the asinine boy racer type who feels that a loud exhaust makes him a person to be admired or even feared by others.
The opposite, of course, is how most people feel about him!

As an aside, I hear many motorcyclists who also rejoice in 'making their presence felt', and assume it is for the same reason - an attempt to impress others!

In fact, a good friend of ours (Marge's ex-boss) has a motorbike so I asked him the question. He assured me that an ineffective silencer was less likely to restrict the power of the engine. I'm not sure I believe that! After all, most cars have bigger engines than motorbikes yet (with a properly working silencer) they are much quieter than motorbikes.

Bikes quite often have a restrictive exhaust JB. It's like that on both of mine, the CAT can be especially restrictive.
Many bikers replace the exhaust with a full decat system, as without doubt you get an increase in power. However, it does mean they are louder. Most have a db killer which reduces the noise a bit, but many people take it out.

Tbh, I have considered putting a decat system on my 750. If you choose wisely, they are not all bad, some are louder than others and I'd probably leave the db killer installed.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

26-05-2019, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Bikes quite often have a restrictive exhaust JB. It's like that on both of mine, the CAT can be especially restrictive.
Many bikers replace the exhaust with a full decat system, as without doubt you get an increase in power. However, it does mean they are louder. Most have a db killer which reduces the noise a bit, but many people take it out.

Tbh, I have considered putting a decat system on my 750. If you choose wisely, they are not all bad, some are louder than others and I'd probably leave the db killer installed.
I'm sure you are mindful of others when out on your bike fender and to be fair, the majority of riders are the same.

Our town is so small that if someone farts at one end of the street, someone will hear it at the other end.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm sure you are mindful of others when out on your bike fender and to be fair, the majority of riders are the same.

Our town is so small that if someone farts at one end of the street, someone will hear it at the other end.
I know what you mean mate. I'm out in the sticks so even a loud(ish) exhaust would probably not trouble most people.

You do get the idiots though who just want it as loud as poss.
If I replace mine, it will be one where it simply makes the bike sound a tad more throaty and pleasant. The stock systems can sound a bit feeble sometimes.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

26-05-2019, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
!

An ineffective exhaust WILL restrict power. For max power it needs to flow as freely as possible.
Re the difference between cars and bikes - a car has considerably more space underneath, so easy to fit an exhaust with larger more effective silencers to make them quiet. You don't have that luxury on a bike.
A bike exhaust in comparison is tiny - so much harder to make it very quiet.
My 750 for example is actually very quiet for a bike, but still notably louder than my car.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->

Thanks for that information, Fender.

I can see both sides of the argument, and can believe that silencers could potentially restrict exhaust gases. I assume that this could also apply to cars, though, yet the removal of a silencer from a car exhaust would cause the vehicle to fail its MoT, wouldn't it?

So is it legal for bikers to remove their silencers?

I think it's a question of degree. If a biker can obtain increased power by changing the silencer for an optional type, I can understand that that would be a reasonable thing to do, provided it was done within legal limits (and I admit that I don't know what those limits are!).

The ones I detest are those who do this only as a way of (in their own minds) 'impressing' bystanders. They don't impress me when they roar down the road, and I can't imagine that they'd gain a great deal of extra power by doing it - a minimal amount at most.

Silencers, whether for cars, bikes or any other vehicle, are there for a reason!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top