Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 01:38 PM

Can one learn

Our Muddys and Azure's art have prompted me to start this thread.

I am hopeless at drawing or painting and would love to be able to create such nice pieces.

My question is, can you learn to draw and get good if initially you are rubbish or is it just you need a natural talent and flair?
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 01:50 PM

Re: Can one learn

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Our Muddys and Azure's art have prompted me to start this thread.

I am hopeless at drawing or painting and would love to be able to create such nice pieces.

My question is, can you learn to draw and get good if initially you are rubbish or is it just you need a natural talent and flair?
I would like to know the answer to that question too Lion Queen. I have plenty of ideas in my head but they won't transfer down my arm and onto paper - well not in the way that I see them in my head anyway!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 02:00 PM

I often think you need to have an artist' eye Lion Queen, but I could be wrong!

One thing you do need though is confidence, as Muddy would have probably abandoned this lovely work of art, without our encouragement, yet I would happily pay money to hang it on my wall!

Why not try, if you want to draw or paint..... OFF may become a centre of good artists. If you put some on here, more experienced artist may give advice.
Try copying a few simple paintings, like some that Van Goch did, as I am sure your confidence will grow if you can dedicate the time to doing them.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 02:08 PM

There's a few TED talks on YouTube on this very subject. I used to be good at drawing when I was younger and that talent resurfaced around twenty odd years ago when I started drawing Simpson's characters from the TV screen for the grandkids. Sadly, I haven't got the motivation now but it might be something to look into again.

A full page of TED talks here for you to peruse.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...alk+on+drawing
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 06:08 PM

You don't have to draw! You can paint, print, do collage, embroider, use any materials you like.
Drawing is difficult unless you have a natural flair, I think, and can put you off creating something if you find it difficult.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 07:15 PM

Yes you can learn to draw BUT, like others have said, why go there when there are so many other free forms of art to try like painting, pen & ink, wood burning or pyrography. There are so many things you could try without needing to be considered good at drawing.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the replies peeps.

Bratts what is wood burning and pyrography, never heard of them as crafts
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Thanks for the replies peeps.

Bratts what is wood burning and pyrography, never heard of them as crafts
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Gpb5Co8yk

This video explains it. I think you’d like it. You can trace picture outlines with carbon paper or something similar. This outline you copy you can use as the base for either pen and ink or pyrography.

For wood, you can get these plained plaques for a buck or two @ the $ store.

It’s fun and they make great gifts.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	D8233D5E-F5FA-4456-A9E3-AFCD5864FB4F.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	10120   Click image for larger version

Name:	5CF915FE-013E-43B0-9E2F-A2A7C4DCFBDA.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	10121   Click image for larger version

Name:	7EBDD8B2-A9EB-4374-8607-5AA5A2EBAEF4.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	10122  
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 10:20 PM

Many people say they can't draw, and they think they have to be perfect so they get disillusioned. but if you can write, that is a form of drawing.
Many famous painting sold for £millions are not correctly drawn but colour brings them to life. and you must have enthusiasm as this shows in your painting
What they have is soul, and that is the appeal
Most famous Artist, Leonardo and Michael Angelo learned by copying their masters
In Art Schools, artists spent hours looking at sculpture and copying them.

The modern way is to splash paint on canvas and call it art and sell it for £thousands.

A good way to start with Watercolour or coloured pencils is to draw shapes, circles or squares on paper and fill them in with colour these can look beautiful and you can frame them or make cards with them.

Rothko in particular painted canvases with one or two colours and no subject and are now in the TATE UK.

My first drawings were laughable with figures that had arms down to there knees, and faces with hugh eyes..that did not put me off, and.... Houses all crooked looking like The House that Jack Built.

We are all creative so just 'Have a Go' and draw or paint something unique.

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2019, 10:39 PM

I can draw a pint of beer, but that is about it. Anything to do with the arts is beyond me, absolutely useless. Can't even draw a straight line with a ruler as a guide.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top