Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 10:13 AM

U-Turns

I see the Labour Party are promising lots of eye-catching law changes if they get into power. A 4-day working week, big NHS changes, etc.

This always happens from all parties when an upcoming general election may be on the cards.

How often do we then see that "The government has made a u-turn on their promise" and their policy has changed?

Are they a bunch of lying hypocrites who only say things just to get into power?

***This is not directed at any particular political party. I just used the Labour manifesto as an example, the Tories do the same. Please don't go down the same old road of comparing one against another. Thanks***
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 10:25 AM

Re: U-Turns

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I see the Labour Party are promising lots of eye-catching law changes if they get into power. A 4-day working week, big NHS changes, etc.

This always happens from all parties when an upcoming general election may be on the cards.

How often do we then see that "The government has made a u-turn on their promise" and their policy has changed?

Are they a bunch of lying hypocrites who only say things just to get into power?

***This is not directed at any particular political party. I just used the Labour manifesto as an example, the Tories do the same. Please don't go down the same old road of comparing one against another. Thanks***
I think politicians should be held to their election promises and it should be a criminal offence to back-track. Politicians are windbags that love the sound of their own rhetoric. They all know what's best for us but never do it.

Are they a bunch of hypocrites? YES!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by longdogs ->
i think politicians should be held to their election promises and it should be a criminal offence to back-track. Politicians are windbags that love the sound of their own rhetoric. They all know what's best for us but never do it.

Are they a bunch of hypocrites? Yes!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 10:43 AM

They should be made by law to make good on their promises within a certain time frame. If they don't then they are held to account for it and removed from Government. If that threat was hanging over them then they just might get themselves reunited with telling the truth. Think before they open their big mouths and let the lies flow out.

Ooppps LD, sorry I didn't realise you had posted much the same.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

24-09-2019, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
They should be made by law to make good on their promises within a certain time frame. If they don't then they are held to account for it and removed from Government. If that threat was hanging over them then they just might get themselves reunited with telling the truth. Think before they open their big mouths and let the lies flow out.

Ooppps LD, sorry I didn't realise you had posted much the same.
No Roxy, you have the female point of view, even though it's the same
Ooops sorry! We're no longer to say the word 'female' are we? We are not meant to discriminate. We are all unisexual or something.
(Says the government and human rights activists)
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 10:59 AM

You turn all you want.

This poster is not for turning.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 11:53 AM

I think it’s best to focus on the parties past record rather than the impossible dreams served up to us at election time.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
You turn all you want.

This poster is not for turning.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2019, 09:31 PM

I don't think it is hypocrisy so much as the unknown future. Promises are made without full access to the accounts and with no knowledge of the future and its possibly adverse effects on the nation's finances. Then there is the malign influence of the opposition - look at Obama's failure in the face of a hostile, wrecking ball senate. At best promises should be seen as no more than aspirations.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-09-2019, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
I don't think it is hypocrisy so much as the unknown future. Promises are made without full access to the accounts and with no knowledge of the future and its possibly adverse effects on the nation's finances. Then there is the malign influence of the opposition - look at Obama's failure in the face of a hostile, wrecking ball senate. At best promises should be seen as no more than aspirations.
Would it not be better in that case to promise nothing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top