Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 10:23 AM

Democratic Britain? Oh come on!

Britain is not a democracy. Discuss?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 10:51 AM

Re: Democratic Britain? Oh come on!

Has it ever been democratic? Democracy is just an illusion created to make voters think they are contributing to society. The latest majority vote being ignored by parliament is evidence of this.

A piece of sixties graffiti used to say "If voting changed anything they'd make it illegal"
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 11:10 AM

Just because one may ask people what they want doesn't mean one has to listen to nor indeed act on it.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 11:44 AM

To what extent is our voting system a problem?

I say very much so.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 11:57 AM

Local elections and General elections should be separate entities.

I would always vote Labour because on the whole they do a good job with running my city and they always get in. The trouble with a General election is that I cannot vote for who I want to be Prime Minister, I only get the names of local councillors.

In other words, my local MP Diana Johnson is (highly unusual for a politician) a very honest and trustworthy councillor but no way would I ever vote for Jeremy Corbyn to be PM. That's is what would put me off voting in a GE.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->

I would always vote Labour because on the whole they do a good job with running my city and they always get in. The trouble with a General election is that I cannot vote for who I want to be Prime Minister, I only get the names of local councillors.

In other words, my local MP Diana Johnson is (highly unusual for a politician) a very honest and trustworthy councillor but no way would I ever vote for Jeremy Corbyn to be PM. That's is what would put me off voting in a GE.
Prhaps in the uk people should be asked what they DONT want
not what they DO when voting?
Regards Donkeyman!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Prhaps in the uk people should be asked what they DONT want
not what they DO when voting?
Regards Donkeyman!
No that wouldn't work, Donkeyman. Because we don't get anything we want anyway
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 01:11 PM

I think people are generally democratic.

However, "sovereign people" is very much different to "Parliamentary Sovereignty", which is the name given to "Treatcherous, Lying Undemocratic, Self Serving Bastards".
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
To what extent is our voting system a problem?

I say very much so.
Are you saying that because Jeremy and Momentum haven’t got a chance in hell of being elected into government ?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->

An honest politician? Bloody hell thats a rarity, does the Pope know, he could dish out a Sainthood at least?
Anyone actually voting for Jezza and Diane (the funniest show in town) is likely to be sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top