Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 11:49 PM

Loooong hairdryers .

Why do they make hairdryers so long and why are the switches in the wrong place and difficult for elderly fingers to manage.

I find the modern ones very awkward to maneuver with my short arms. My hair is very thick and it takes ages to blow dry, by the time I have finished my poor arms are aching.

I know I could buy a small travel hairdryer but they don't have the refinements of the bigger ones like a cold shot.

Agggg....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 11:54 PM

Re: Loooong hairdryers .

Ooooo! Get you with yer thick hair!
You're lucky!
I've got a gun shaped hairdryer with a fast speed, great for drying but I look like I've been plugged in the mains afterwards!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2013, 11:57 PM

I buy one with a long 'snout' as sometimes I dry my hair upside down so I need to keep that back of dryer away from flying hair or it gets sucked in and the smell of burning hair is yuk!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Ooooo! Get you with yer thick hair!
You're lucky!
I've got a gun shaped hairdryer with a fast speed, great for drying but I look like I've been plugged in the mains afterwards!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 12:21 AM

I don't like the long-nosed hairdryers either, I felt that I didn't have proper control of it.

I have a 20 year old Braun hairdryer which is perfect for me, light and easy to manoeuvre....I hope it lasts me for a few more years
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Why do they make hairdryers so long and why are the switches in the wrong place and difficult for elderly fingers to manage.

I find the modern ones very awkward to maneuver with my short arms. My hair is very thick and it takes ages to blow dry, by the time I have finished my poor arms are aching.

I know I could buy a small travel hairdryer but they don't have the refinements of the bigger ones like a cold shot.

Agggg....

Why not ask Father Christmas for a "sit under" hood one Meg? You could take a cuppa, read the paper, and your arms wouldn't ache at all.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 09:55 AM

I used to work in a factory where we made hairdryers, there are technical reasons why they became longer and I would recommend we stick with longer snouts. I saw some nasty pictures when I worked in product complaints of people who had long hair and had been sucked into the dryer, also where elements had failed and burned people because they were close to them.

Safety is the reason they are long.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 11:22 AM

Can you not buy a stand to put it on Meg? I remember my dad made one from wood many, many years ago for my mum who had a bad shoulder.

I sit at the kitchen table (my back to the door, so hairs fly into the hall) but I do rest my elbows on the table - otherwise my arms would 'drop off' too
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2013, 06:57 PM

That makes sense Julie.
Why don't you ladies try drying your hair the natural way?, some women have the dryer very hot, surely that's not good for your hair in the long term, burning it, but who am I to know, my hair is nearly as thick as me head and I have been drying it with a towel all me life, first drying off the heavy wet then letting the air in the room do the rest, still got all me hair.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

21-11-2013, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Why not ask Father Christmas for a "sit under" hood one Meg? You could take a cuppa, read the paper, and your arms wouldn't ache at all.
Originally Posted by Janela ->
Can you not buy a stand to put it on Meg? I remember my dad made one from wood many, many years ago for my mum who had a bad shoulder.

I sit at the kitchen table (my back to the door, so hairs fly into the hall) but I do rest my elbows on the table - otherwise my arms would 'drop off' too
Originally Posted by Jem ->
That makes sense Julie.
Why don't you ladies try drying your hair the natural way?, some women have the dryer very hot, surely that's not good for your hair in the long term, burning it, but who am I to know, my hair is nearly as thick as me head and I have been drying it with a towel all me life, first drying off the heavy wet then letting the air in the room do the rest, still got all me hair.
That would be a disaster I would come out looking like a yard brush I need to blow dry my hair with a brush to look remotely human

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top