Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 09:36 AM

Re: I Could Not Believe This

Well I came late to technology and still keep it as much as possible to a minimum. I would see it partly as a compliment we are not as gullible as younger folk who think they cannot live without the latest gadgets, spending hundreds on each upgrade.

Also who are we kidding they don't make them for older people anyway if they did they would have bigger buttons and displays !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 09:46 AM

She went on and on about how hard it is for people over 60 to use modern electronics. She was having a grand old time actually making fun of them.
Well I am over 60 and find modern electronics difficult to learn to use. I don't grasp things as easily as I used to and it can take me ages to work things out. I read instructions and my mind seems to go blank.
I recently had a new washing machine and found the instructions incomprehensible, in the end I gave up and worked out how to use it by trial and error.

If my grandaughter gets hold of the remote control for the digital recorder and fiddles with the buttons I have a big problem working out what she has done and getting things back to normal.

My son on the other hand can set things up in seconds, he installs the software on my PCs , without him I am not sure I could manage.

My brother and sister both older than me can't use a PC, my three grandchildren all 3 years old and under can .
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 10:09 AM

Good thread. I had to start using the PC at work in 1993 otherwise I wouldn't have had a telemarketing job. I was a bit slow to start
with but I think it helped being able to touch type. Now a days retired I
still have to go on my PC everyday but I have to use a mouse. I cannot
stand the touch screens. My basic mobile is enough for me as I talk to
my friends on Skype or the phone at the weekends. I can survive without
an Ipad. I think its as mentioned that we don't have the want to do
everything they have in technology and the woman on the Post was wrong
that we are useless at using it. You have to want to do something to do it well. Plus when I was at school we used our brains to add up not a calculator, a pencil or ink pen to write and read paper books. No one had gone into Space. So I don't know what some people expect from us golden people. I think we are great.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I started using Amstrad PCW word processor with a daisy wheel printer.
Me too UJ and I loved it !
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Good thread. I had to start using the PC at work in 1993 otherwise I wouldn't have had a telemarketing job. I was a bit slow to start
with but I think it helped being able to touch type. Now a days retired I
still have to go on my PC everyday but I have to use a mouse. I cannot
stand the touch screens. My basic mobile is enough for me as I talk to
my friends on Skype or the phone at the weekends. I can survive without
an Ipad. I think its as mentioned that we don't have the want to do
everything they have in technology and the woman on the Post was wrong
that we are useless at using it. You have to want to do something to do it well. Plus when I was at school we used our brains to add up not a calculator, a pencil or ink pen to write and read paper books. No one had gone into Space. So I don't know what some people expect from us golden people. I think we are great.
I agree with much of that - can't stand touchscreens, hate the current desire of so many to have all the latest gadgets and upgrade them frequently, and am very glad I had to use my brain (and log tables!) rather than a calculator at school!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I agree with much of that - can't stand touchscreens, hate the current desire of so many to have all the latest gadgets and upgrade them frequently, and am very glad I had to use my brain (and log tables!) rather than a calculator at school!
...I can't get on with touch screens or a mouse pad either and use a mouse. My fingers are not as supple as they were.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 11:57 AM

I remember the first time I was given a computer at work and they took my electric typewriter away. With the words we will send you on a course on how to work it. So what was I supposed to do with it in the meantime. People showed me firstly how to turn it on and simple things that I needed to know. Still waiting for that course. ....... years later.

I too would not have a mobile phone until I really had to, it was to keep in touch with my husband when he worked away.

Now you cannot hold me back, I am looking at updating my mobile but which to go for that is the question. Down loading apps which make like easier to order things online, get the cricket scores when I am out and about, texting to keep in contact with family and sending and receiving photos on face book to see how my nephews are growing and changing so quickly before I can see them again.

I am a fan as long as I am shown how to do things
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

11-12-2013, 12:06 PM

In spite of my lack of skills in the technology department I am feeling quite pleased with myself .My new Laptop has Windows 8 which a lot of people seem not to be able to get on with . Once I had ditched most of the tiles in the bin and found a short cut to put it to sleep it has been fine
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I started using Amstrad PCW word processor with a daisy wheel printer.
Well done old fella, you'll be onto Windows 3 and a 24 pin dot matrix printer before you know it.

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 02:10 PM

I'm still struggling with an abacus!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top