Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
ShirleyMarie
Michigan, USA
ShirleyMarie is female  ShirleyMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 02:59 PM

Re: I Could Not Believe This

I am 78 and I use my computer every day and all day...my digital camera is always within my reach. I can make do without everything else but these two I must have.
My Mom is 98, soon to be 99 and she uses a computer to write letters and play games. The only trouble she has is from her poor eye sight and missing the key and hitting the wrong one...I have no idea how she did it but she removed the games from her computer...I replaced them but not the original ones. We can learn a lot!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I'm still struggling with an abacus!
Entirely appropriate for a Steampunk I would think Twiz
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 04:14 PM

I tend to blank anything that I have no use for, hence I can't be arsed to learn how to use a mobile phone and text stuff, I also ain't that keen on bleeding laptops as I always like to use a mouse, and so on. I just like to know enough to get by, like how to switch the bloody oven on and off without burning the house down or how to cook stuff in the micro without having to duck from something exploding.

Hey, they reminds me, now then you knowledgeable electronic gadget people, but is it ok to microwave a hot water bottle?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Hey, they reminds me, now then you knowledgeable electronic gadget people, but is it ok to microwave a hot water bottle?
...no Mark, not unless you put holes in it first otherwise it might explode .
Try filling your hottie with hot water from a kettle..
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
...no Mark, not unless you put holes in it first otherwise it might explode ...
Shit. Anyway, it appears to be too long .
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by dreamer ->
It's the terminology that gets me.
Always keep in mind that the young generation deliberately use abbreviations and invent new words in order to make it look like they are clever

You only need to read some of the error messages that computers flash up on the screen to see how uneducated they are.

To write an article in a journal like the 'Washington Times' ridiculing the older generation shows just how uneducated and insecure the writer is.

Another point to remember is that some of these writers deliberately court controvosy............why Well it's simple really, if an article causes outrage and people write to the newspaper complaining then the editor knows people have read it and she slowly gets a reputation and before you know it she's invited onto a TV 'talk show' where the host introduces her as 'The controversial celebrity writer Miss Silly Knickers' etc. etc.

It's a bit like the food writer of the 'Times' (That's the London Times for our American friends ) he wrote an article a few years ago about how he hated dogs and a whole load of stuff about their owners. It was all designed to get his name better known and his articles (On food) more widely read.

I don't know about America but in England the level of intelligence of a large number of school leavers is so low that the country has now slipped behind some third world countries in school leaver education standards

So, don't get annoyed at Miss Silly Knickers, and what ever you do don't write to the Washington Post 'cos that is what she wants you to do.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 05:08 PM

Very informative post Losos.
I only started messing around with modern stuff about ten years ago when I bought a satellite system for the TV, hadn't a clue how it worked but I studied the manual and had it up and running in no time, I've done the installations for the rest of the family and a few neighbours since, as was said the terms they use are a devil to figure out at first, computers are a bit tougher for me as there are so many things to remember and my memory aint improvin', but I'm slowly getting there.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 06:35 PM

...no Mark, not unless you put holes in it first otherwise it might explode .
That's not a very sensible idea Meg
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

11-12-2013, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
That's not a very sensible idea Meg
..on the contrary I think it is very sensible Rachel and may prevent Mark's microwave exploding

On the other hand if Mark needs a hot water bottle to keep him warm (in the absence of a good woman ) a kettle of hot water to fill the hotty is the way to go
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 06:58 PM

..on the contrary I think it is very sensible Rachel and may prevent Mark's microwave exploding
This is true.
I concede that you have made a good point, however, there is the question of the water inside the bottle.

This is of slight concern to me

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top