Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 12:18 PM

Christmas Cards

The media have recently released, for our enjoyment (yes, I'm being sarcastic), the photographs that will be used on the cards of some politicians.

This fad began with the first Christmas card ever sent:

It was produced by Sir Henry Cole in 1843. It shows three generations of the Cole family looking prosperous and well-fed, all raising glasses to the card's recipient. Flanking the central image of the family were scenes of philanthropy. This was how the Coles wanted to be seen: wealthy and generous.

This is the Milliband's Christmas card:

Cameron's Christmas card:

What's festive about those and how does it relate to the person they're sending it to?

On my Christmas cards, I want glitter, snowy scenes, churches, snowmen, Christmas trees - in colour!

What do you think of these cards? Are they just a bit of self-promotion or do you think it's a good alternative?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 12:21 PM

Re: Christmas Cards

Should be traditional Christmas cards - dont want them on me mantelpiece thankyou Not that I'll get one !
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 12:23 PM

I'm not sure I'd put one up either - it just doesn't look right to me but I might be being old fashioned.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 01:07 PM

They are a bit like those missives some people send telling you all about what the family have been doing all year, if they wanted me to know I always think they could have picked up the phone a few times during the year and not just send me a news letter gloating about it all at Christmas.

And yes my brothers newsletter has just dropped through the door no word since Easter and then this telling us how little Seth is top of his class and how he is a genius with a violin - he seems to forget little Seth was truly awful last time we saw him, sounded more like a cat being dismembered
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

18-12-2013, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
They are a bit like those missives some people send telling you all about what the family have been doing all year, if they wanted me to know I always think they could have picked up the phone a few times during the year and not just send me a news letter gloating about it all at Christmas.

And yes my brothers newsletter has just dropped through the door no word since Easter and then this telling us how little Seth is top of his class and how he is a genius with a violin - he seems to forget little Seth was truly awful last time we saw him, sounded more like a cat being dismembered

Yes, I've encountered those folk too. I made a very good friend online a few years ago that turned into one of those missive senders; I was to await the delivery of her tri-monthly newsletter and/or read her page on Facebook. Christmas cards were filled with her news and how her granddaughter was most likely to win the next Nobel award or something. Not once asking me how I was, how was the family, what have I been up to - nothing. When I told her it felt impersonal, she said she now had too many friends to write individually anymore. I told her I didn't want to play that game so I stopped contacting her. Two years later, she finally gave up trying to get me to reply - I guess all those names in a book mean a lot to some people
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 01:27 PM

I don't like them at all, I wouldn't hang them up with the rest of the cards, who wants to have a photograph of a politicians family amongst the Christmas cards, or even in the house for that matter, except another politician of course, bound to dampen your spirits and put you off the new year.
I do like the original one though, notice the Mother giving the little girl a sip of wine, what would they say about that today I wonder.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 01:30 PM

They are what I call 'vanity cards' made by those who are vain enough to think people would want a photograph of them

I am not on the Christmas card list of either of the above so don't need to worry what to do with my card
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

18-12-2013, 01:31 PM

Now there's an eagle-eye Jem - I'd missed that!

It's even been stated that the black & white photo is to show they are in the austerity with us - sorry, it'll take a bit more than that
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 03:37 PM

How about this one then ...

http://i.imgur.com/jTzbbgX.jpg
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
How about this one then ...

http://i.imgur.com/jTzbbgX.jpg
I like that !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top