Join for free
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 07:02 PM

RJ's rambings again.

I have been having some difficulties in communicating this week , my Parkinson’s has affected my speech & I have had to make some compromises.
Take Monday, for example. I was driven to the dump (Household Recycling Centre) by my Gillie and there were a large group of Polskis holding court in the “for sale” shed.
I know one or two Polski words, so I breezed in with “Djing Dobry” (good morning). A few years ago this approach would elicit a quick return of greeting, smiles, hugs & dare I say it, even a few tears.
A distant, yet fond memory.
The biggest one of them, sneered at me at retorted, “Say something else in Polski then “. I expected him to add “clever clogs” but he didn’t & I guess there’s no Eastern European equivalent.
Tuesday we went to our local snooty WAITROSE. I particularly wanted some nice thick ham, that thin watery stuff in polythene packs are vile.
Expecting that this would go swimmingly I made my request known to the chinless (not his fault) assistant on the delicatessen.
“ I’d like thick slices of your finest ham please , young man”
Back came the response.
“Six slices of our best ham Sir?”
I pointed out to him that he hadn’t grasped the detail of my modest order.
“No, I want thick slices of ham”
“Now I have got it Sir, six thick slices of our best ham”
I never had this problem with his predecessor, a lively lady blessed with a voice exactly like Olive Oyle. I kid you not, my children used to accompany me to her counter just to hear her unfortunate warbling. I have no doubt that many others sought her advice secretly so they could listen to this exotic creature.
Having worked in commerce myself for many years I had an eye for novelty & I am quite sure the shops takings dropped significantly when Miss Beauregarde retired to the Cottage Homes, Longstock or Odney, where all ex partners go to end their days.
I once employed a dwarf and he was provided with a platform behind the sales counter on which he stood all day. Most customers had no idea of his diminutive stature & those present when he waddled off to his coffee break frequently had to doubletake when they saw his real height.
Alas, he joined Bertram Mills Circus in 1967 & married the bearded lady.
Oh dear, I seem to have wandered off the subject.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 07:10 PM

Re: RJ's rambings again.

What an eventful life you do lead RJ - thankful you share it with us ....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 07:21 PM

Keep up the ramblings and the diary extracts RJ, always a good read and a laugh, don't let people or things get you down, not worth it at our age. I'm a bit of a mind rambler meself as you know, I think that's why we have two sides to our brain, one for the serious stuff and the other to play around with, where would we be without our imagination... sad old sticks indeed.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 08:45 PM

I have been having some difficulties in communicating this week , my Parkinson’s has affected my speech & I have had to make some compromises.
Hi Robert that must be so frustrating for you

You are always understood by you friends on here. x
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2013, 12:05 AM

Quite so.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Quite so.

I worry when you agree with me Spitty my dear old chum.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top