Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2013, 08:14 PM

Re: Plastic Notes

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I thought we were supposed to be minimising the use of plastics?
Polymer is apparently more environmentally friendly than paper b~v.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Polymer is apparently more environmentally friendly than paper b~v.
I think the key word in that sentence is 'apparently' Pats!

The link I give says quite the opposite. Given that paper biodegrades naturally (and plastic doesn't), I think paper is better.

What I think is, they now have a mountain of plastic waste and have no idea what to do with it and have come up with this hare-brained idea.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Well I tell ya - after all the cleaning of plastic pots etc ., the bloomin bin men empties the 'paper' bin AND the plastics glass etc bin in the lorry !
Usually they have seperate days for them but no, both emptied together !
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 12:45 PM

I think the key word in that sentence is 'apparently' Pats!

The link I give says quite the opposite. Given that paper biodegrades naturally (and plastic doesn't), I think paper is better.

What I think is, they now have a mountain of plastic waste and have no idea what to do with it and have come up with this hare-brained idea.
I think you forgot your glasses.

Polymer notes last longer and are recycled - paper notes are always burned
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

So there you have it either we have plastic washable money and lay ourselves open to money laundering charges or we have paper money to burn.

Wasn’t it treating our cash as money to burn that helped us to get into this mess to start with.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 01:39 PM

Like that !
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2013, 07:26 PM

I would only have forgotten my glasses if I was referring to the link you have put rather than the one I put

However, I have read your link:

A key environmental advantage is that polymer notes can be recycled whereas waste from paper notes could only be buried or burnt.
What happens to plastic when it's heated to the degree that it melts? Which will give off the most harmful fumes: burnt paper or plastic?

Given that your link is to the Bank that wants to use these notes, it's hardly a neutral view.

Here is another link: http://www.private-eye.co.uk/section...ack&issue=1353

“Polymer banknotes are cleaner, more secure and more durable than paper notes. They are also cheaper and more environmentally friendly.”

Australian propaganda
Experts say the bank’s claims about plastic currency read more like publicity material from Securency, the Australian firm that dominates the market in polymer for notes, than dispassionate analysis.

The company has been wooing the Bank of England for years – backed by the Reserve Bank of Australia and the Australian government, which have supported plastic with hidden subsidies since Australia became the first country to convert to plastic notes in 1996. The Reserve Bank has now reduced its support following a corruption scandal. selling its 50 percent stake in Securency to its partner Innovia, which renamed the business Innovia Security. This is the firm most likely to win the contract to supply polypropylene film if the Bank of England does go for plastic, and all the indications are that it has swallowed the Australian propaganda in one gulp.

The bank says, like Innovia, that polymer notes are “more secure”. But the plastic substrate – the underlying material to which ink and coating are applied – does not have any intrinsic security features, whereas cotton banknotes have a watermark and security thread. Canada, which has just made the switch, experienced the first forgeries of its polymer notes almost as soon as they were in circulation. In Australia, the Daily Telegraph reported earlier this year: “Sydney has been flooded with counterfeit cash that is of such high quality some banks are struggling to detect it.” Wherever plastic notes have been introduced, from Mexico to Vietnam, the story is the same.

The next claim is that plastic is “also cheaper”. Polymer banknotes cost more than double paper banknotes, and the claim that they last twice as long is more expectation than fact. The print rapidly fades and falls off the plastic – one reason Nigeria decided this year to scrap its plastic notes and return to paper. And of course plastic banknotes bring huge indirect costs to ATMs and note-handling equipment which will have to be modified or replaced.

Finally, there’s the claim that polymer is “more environmentally friendly”. Plastic banknotes are made of non-renewable raw materials, whereas cotton-paper banknotes use a renewable that is a waste product from the textile industry.

Polymer currency has been able to penetrate no more than 2-3 percent of the global market.

I would be interested in your thoughts on those comments.

Finally, the Bank of England stated it wanted public agreement before going ahead with this change to our currency; I can't speak for others but I don't think I've ever been asked - so it would be interesting to see if others did vote in favour of it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2013, 06:38 AM

The bank says, like Innovia, that polymer notes are “more secure”. But the plastic substrate – the underlying material to which ink and coating are applied – does not have any intrinsic security features, whereas cotton banknotes have a watermark and security thread. Canada, which has just made the switch, experienced the first forgeries of its polymer notes almost as soon as they were in circulation. In Australia, the Daily Telegraph reported earlier this year: “Sydney has been flooded with counterfeit cash that is of such high quality some banks are struggling to detect it.” Wherever plastic notes have been introduced, from Mexico to Vietnam, the story is the same.
[I]
The next claim is that plastic is “also cheaper”. Polymer banknotes cost more than double paper banknotes, and the claim that they last twice as long is more expectation than fact. The print rapidly fades and falls off the plastic – one reason Nigeria decided this year to scrap its plastic notes and return to paper. And of course plastic banknotes bring huge indirect costs to ATMs and note-handling equipment which will have to be modified or replaced.

I can only speak as an end user but plastic notes have been around for a long time now, I have never seen a faded one and only rarely a torn one. Despite what the report says as far as I can find out there as been very little counterfeiting. (I would treat anything the Sydney Daily Telegraph says with a great deal of caution - Murdoch probably has shares in a paper company)

Indeed the actual statistics are: Counterfeit notes per million in circulation - Australia 5, UK 250. I think those figures speak for themselves. If you look at the Canadian figures you will see that counterfeiting has actually declined since the introduction of Polymer notes. Nigeria has NOT gone back to paper money.

As I understand it ATMs, poker machines and other cash counting devices handle polymer notes better than paper. One of the characteristics of plastic notes is they are hard to crease and tear.

The information you quoted seems to be largely rubbish and totally without any foundation in fact.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2013, 07:04 AM

I love quotes which are selective of what people want to believe. The full quote about Nigeria is as follows:

In August 2012, Nigeria's Central Bank attempted the switch back from polymer to paper banknotes, saying there were "significant difficulties associated with the processing and destruction of the polymer banknotes" which had "constrained the realisation of the benefits expected from polymer banknotes over paper notes". But President Goodluck Jonathan halted the process in September 2012[/B]

We have had polymer notes since 1988 and I haven't seen a faded one yet and I haven't ever heard about a counterfeit one in this state. Nor have I lost one in the wash - they come out looking sparkling clean. The Sydney Daily Telegraph is like reading The Sun in the UK.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

21-12-2013, 12:18 PM

I can only speak as an end user but plastic notes have been around for a long time now, I have never seen a faded one and only rarely a torn one. Despite what the report says as far as I can find out there as been very little counterfeiting. (I would treat anything the Sydney Daily Telegraph says with a great deal of caution - Murdoch probably has shares in a paper company)

Indeed the actual statistics are: Counterfeit notes per million in circulation - Australia 5, UK 250. I think those figures speak for themselves. If you look at the Canadian figures you will see that counterfeiting has actually declined since the introduction of Polymer notes. Nigeria has NOT gone back to paper money.

As I understand it ATMs, poker machines and other cash counting devices handle polymer notes better than paper. One of the characteristics of plastic notes is they are hard to crease and tear.

The information you quoted seems to be largely rubbish and totally without any foundation in fact.
Bruce - the info came from Private Eye - are you doubting Ian Hislop's source of info

I stick by my previous sentiment - no more plastic stuff. I know it's in Australia's interest to boost their industry and economy but if it was that cost-beneficial, I'm sure other countries would have leapt on it by now and I'm puzzled why that hasn't happened.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top