Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2013, 12:27 PM

Re: Plastic Notes

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
I love quotes which are selective of what people want to believe. The full quote about Nigeria is as follows:

In August 2012, Nigeria's Central Bank attempted the switch back from polymer to paper banknotes, saying there were "significant difficulties associated with the processing and destruction of the polymer banknotes" which had "constrained the realisation of the benefits expected from polymer banknotes over paper notes". But President Goodluck Jonathan halted the process in September 2012[/B]

We have had polymer notes since 1988 and I haven't seen a faded one yet and I haven't ever heard about a counterfeit one in this state. Nor have I lost one in the wash - they come out looking sparkling clean. The Sydney Daily Telegraph is like reading The Sun in the UK.
I've found quotes from the BBC which doesn't give full thumbs up either:

So why don't more countries cash in on this technology?

Today, 23 countries use polymer banknotes, but only six have converted all denominations into plastic.

Tom Hockenhull, curator of the Modern Money exhibition at the British Museum, says one reason is that the security gap between paper and plastic notes is closing.

It is now possible to make "hybrid notes" - paper notes with a transparent polymer window - he points out.

"Paper is much more secure than it used to be and the new [British] £50 note, for example, has features that are extremely hard to counterfeit," he adds.

Meanwhile counterfeiters are making progress with polymer. "Polymer is very hard to counterfeit, but it hasn't stopped people trying: good imitations do appear from time to time," Mr Hockenhull says.

He also points to some notable disadvantages of polymer banknotes:

They are harder to fold
They are more slippery, which makes them harder to count by hand
Some less developed countries may not have the facilities to recycle them - and when they burn they pollute the air

In addition, polymer notes cost more to produce in the short-term, which could be a drawback for developing countries. The payback from their extra durability only comes over time.

Haiti and Cost Rica were the first to trial polymer banknotes in the 1980s, using American technology - but the ink smudged
A plastic note was introduced in the Isle of Man in 1983, using British technology, but withdrawn in 1988 - again because of problems with the ink

I really don't understand why, if the polymer notes are so good, why have so few countries converted over the past 30+ years?

A cynical side of me suspects this may be coming about as a part of some trade deal but, I could be wrong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15782723
Australia, the first country to go purely plastic, is now the world's sole polymer banknote producer
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2013, 12:41 PM

One final thought: the minute the technology world (or maybe underworld) is told "this is extremely difficult to fake" it's pretty much a challenge for someone to do it. As soon as the banks said it was almost impossible to counterfeit the money, someone will do it to simply prove it can be done.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 11:30 PM

You're probably right, ben, but all I can say is that we have had them here for 25 years and no one sees a problem with them.

And just from a personal use point of view they don't tear and they don't get destroyed in the wash and the bright colours make them much easier to distinguish the denominations than UK notes.We have $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 notes, all very different colours.

We come to England every year and one thing that does amazes me is that you haven't got rid of coppers. My purse immediately fills up with them and they are very heavy. We haven't had anything less than a 5 cent piece since 1989 and it isn't a problem. Of course, people complained initially but they got over that. Apparently they are more expensive to make than their face value.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2013, 01:09 AM

And just from a personal use point of view they don't tear and they don't get destroyed in the wash and the bright colours make them much easier to distinguish the denominations than UK notes.We have $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 notes, all very different colours.
Not to mention they are all different sizes. You have to admit though that if you present a $100 anywhere you get very suspicious looks. Cashiers hold them up to the light and see if the colour rubs off. Don't know why you so rarely see them.

When I get overseas visitors they always arrive with $100 notes from the money changers, my first job is to swap them for $50s.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

24-12-2013, 12:25 AM

We come to England every year and one thing that does amazes me is that you haven't got rid of coppers. My purse immediately fills up with them and they are very heavy. We haven't had anything less than a 5 cent piece since 1989 and it isn't a problem. Of course, people complained initially but they got over that. Apparently they are more expensive to make than their face value.
Yes, I don't see the need for the smaller coins (would producers then put round up instead of down when it comes to pricing? Probably would!) because they do become very heavy and you end up not being able to close your purse properly don't you.

As mentioned earlier, I tend to use my debit card for almost every purchase now, it makes life much easier.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top