Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2010, 06:55 AM

Is a religious bus ban on my dog right?

On two occasions last week my dog was barred from London buses, not because she's particularly fierce or big, but on religious grounds. A friend and I had taken her to the park, and as I went across to the grocer, my friend took Daisy, a Manchester terrier, to the bus stop.

As they tried to board the bus, the driver stopped her and told her that there was a Muslim lady on the bus who "might be upset by the dog". As she attempted to remonstrate, the doors closed and the bus drew away.

More Here. http://bit.ly/bKy9D0

Crikey this is worrying, surely not allowed?
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2010, 08:52 AM

Re: Is a religious bus ban on my dog right?

how bloody irritating grr! Around these parts it's always been down to the discretion of the driver.. The dog isn't entitled to a seat & providing its not gigantic and its bidable its ok.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2010, 09:38 AM

I would complain to the Race Relations and also Discrimination departments! That is awful! We don't have that problem up here, well, at least, not locally - there would be an uproar if there was!

Can't understand why those Muslims think dogs are unclean - I have seen quite a lot of Muslims at Loch Lomond with their pet dogs!! Also, my local shopkeeper and staff are Muslims but they all come out when I stop by their door when out with Loki to talk to me and to Loki!! She knows them now and stops automatically for one of them to come out to say hello!

I wonder sometimes where our rights have gone. The Civil Rights people should look into that!
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2010, 11:29 AM

Religion should never be allowed to dictate or influence laws.

I would complain to London transport and my local MP.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2010, 03:39 PM

That's disturbing ...... what would have happened if it had been a Guide Dog?
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2010, 03:56 PM

Excellent point, Mags!!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2010, 04:47 PM

The religious aspect of that is very disturbing! Surely it should be illegal.

All animals (except guide dogs) are banned on the buses here, even in carriers. I have to take a cab to the vet because of it; unnecessary IMO.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2010, 05:51 PM

So muslim women ban dogs on buses?-get a life sweetheart.

When did a dog ban education or whip you for daring not to be covered head to toe?

Ok that`s a bit OTT but surely this nonsense has to stop somewhere?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2010, 07:31 PM

I think that's dreadful - another example of how paranoid this country is becoming. I would not think there is anything at all in the bus regulations about this. The driver/conductor was out of order trying to impose such a ridiculous idea.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2010, 07:55 PM

I expect the driver was afraid of dogs and trying to save face. He didn`t ask the `muslim` lady did he? So it`s likely it was his prejudice, not hers.
It is down to the discretion of the driver, unfortunately. I`ve never been refused. Bus drivers usually understand that most dogs are far better behaved than their usual passengers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top