Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 02:51 PM

Re: Do You Find It Difficult To Disagree With People You Like?

Originally Posted by May ->
Oi You Arty,stop asking difficult questions while I'm de-fraging My disks...sheesh..now I'll have to defrag My brain
so I guess the answer is YES to the last question
May, l love how l get the blame!

Be careful with Defragging your brain as you might end up hypnotising yourself!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 02:56 PM

Art, when it comes to family, and I have a HUGE family all living locally, I have learned from the day the boys first left home, to tread very carefully, walk on eggshells, and NEVER open my mouth first without thinking about the consequences of what I say. I learned this from experience from my own lovely MIL. I like to think she loved me like a daughter, but naturally, any disagreements between HWMO and myself, she always took his side, which caused great resentment sometimes. So I learned the hard way NEVER take sides between one's offspring and partner, Let them sort it out themselves. My get out was always "Don't let it fester. the two of you need to sit down and talk through the problem, Let's have a nice cup of tea anyway" (and then change the subject). My motto has always been "Never badmouth or agree with anyone else badmouthing a family member! if you do, guaranteed, it will come back to bite you on the backside! Happily, it has worked so far.

As for telling it how it is on the OFF forum, Everyone should know after all these years, I tell it as I see it.(100 words where it could be said in 10) but I would be mortified if I upset another poster, even if I vehemently disagree with their view. If I know I am going to type something that could potentially upset another poster when replying to their post, especially if it is controversial, I usually start with an apology and say that it is not my intention to insult them in any way and I apologise in advance if this upsets them as it is not my intention. I then put my point of view on the subject across.

That is all I can do. I like to think that on OFF we can discuss sensibly and truthfully without resorting to nastiness. If I disagree, I will say so, but as kindly as I can. (except sometimes on the Brexit forum!)
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
You can’t win! Tiffany.
Diplomacy is a very good thing to have in conversation and discussion but sometimes it’s hard!
I know I can't win with my Daughter.
It is hard to be diplomatic when you get a very annoying customer, or even sometimes a fellow trader, some we have had next to us have been very trying, I just smile & agree usually with customers anyway, the traders get a mouthful. Mostly though they are a good lot of people & we get on fine.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 05:18 PM

If I disagree with someone I find it impossible to keep my mouth shut.

I don't shout or rant though & I've never lost a friend yet because of a disagreement.

In the end you just have to agree to differ.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
If I disagree with someone I find it impossible to keep my mouth shut.

I don't shout or rant though & I've never lost a friend yet because of a disagreement.

In the end you just have to agree to differ.
Same here - I love a good discussion/argument but I was always brought up to argue politely, never to make it personal or take it personally and to accept that just because two people disagree, they can still like each other!!
Having said that, I did lose a few friends over my support for Brexit (most of my friends are lefty liberals seduced by the nonsense of identity politics) but that was their decision, not mine!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Same here - I love a good discussion/argument but I was always brought up to argue politely, never to make it personal or take it personally and to accept that just because two people disagree, they can still like each other!!
Totally agree..........
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 07:08 PM

If I thought disagreeing with someone here would really upset them I would just stay quiet.... I'm not here to upset people. Having people here know my exact opinion isn't so important to me that I would state it at any cost.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
If I thought disagreeing with someone here would really upset them I would just stay quiet.... I'm not here to upset people. Having people here know my exact opinion isn't so important to me that I would state it at any cost.
Well, yes. But if you see something you know to be factually incorrect?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Well, yes. But if you see something you know to be factually incorrect?
I might put them straight but I'm sure whilst I was considering it someone else would have stepped in
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2020, 09:37 PM

I do find this difficult.

Sometimes if I say nothing they assume I agree.

Then if I still say nothing I wish I had just been
honest in the first place!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top