Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 10:05 PM

Re: Schools Day's please tell us.

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I too am left handed and back in my infant school days the teacher tied my left hand behind my back. I would go home crying to "Mum" and she saw the doctor. After that I was separated from the other children and did all my written work in the corridor but allowed to use my left hand.
That's what used to happen to my brother, he's a left-hander. He wasn't thick, as the teachers thought because he could write and spell but only from right to left. He's sorted that out now of course.

Our teachers at secondary - school. A bigger set of sadistic bastards you could never hope to meet. One in particular, the geography teacher, thought nothing of kicking us kids from pillar to post for the slightest infraction. The bastard split my head open on one occasion and it needed six stitches. I still have the scar to this day. Treatment like that of course, was seen as normal and acceptable in those days. These days, they'd be prosecuted for ABH.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
In general I didn't hate school, just loathed some of the teachers. The first was Mrs Darlington (2nd yr primary) made us "lefties" write right-handed. Of course I couldn't being a natural southpaw and this upset me so much I left class each afternoon . My mom was not amused and demanded that Mrs Darlington stop pressurising me because I was naturally left-handed. Mrs D said she only did it because "some children like to play up and pretend" (funny how you can remember this sort of thing almost verbatim 64yrs after the event!). The next was a Mr Dick (I kid you not) our Grammar School English Language teacher - a Scot of ill-repute and nature who used the tawse with great effect and pain.
Originally Posted by big ben ->
I too am left handed and back in my infant school days the teacher tied my left hand behind my back. I would go home crying to "Mum" and she saw the doctor. After that I was separated from the other children and did all my written work in the corridor but allowed to use my left hand.
I also am left handed guys, and Mrs Fox is left handed but our daughter is right handed....you wouldn't have thought that....

PS:- Good post Susan, and excellent advice....
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I also am left handed guys, and Mrs Fox is left handed but our daughter is right handed....you wouldn't have thought that....
Funny you should say that OGF. The 1st Mrs Vere was also left-handed but our daughters were both right-handed. This came in handy when my ex was teaching them how to write using chalk on a black-board (they could sit side-by-side).
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 08:07 PM

We had a really strict German teacher/deputy head. One day when he was dishing out the homework, he said 'You have a choice, you can either work hard, do your homework and get a good job when you leave school, or not do your homework and get nowhere in life'

When he hauled me up in front of the next class and asked why I hadn't done my homework as instructed, I reminded him that he had given us a choice and I had decided not to do it. You could see he was fuming but couldn't really say anything.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Funny you should say that OGF. The 1st Mrs Vere was also left-handed but our daughters were both right-handed. This came in handy when my ex was teaching them how to write using chalk on a black-board (they could sit side-by-side).
That's a good idea Percy, Paul McCartney of Beatles fame, played his guitar left handed and it allowed him and John Lennon to share the same mic...So many advantages to being left handed, I wonder if the right handed people are jealous?..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

10-02-2020, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
We had a really strict German teacher/deputy head. One day when he was dishing out the homework, he said 'You have a choice, you can either work hard, do your homework and get a good job when you leave school, or not do your homework and get nowhere in life'

When he hauled me up in front of the next class and asked why I hadn't done my homework as instructed, I reminded him that he had given us a choice and I had decided not to do it. You could see he was fuming but couldn't really say anything.
I never did my homework either Longdogs, and there's now't rong wi me....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 12:21 PM

I may have posted this before.
Each week we had to do an essay.
I got more than four spellings wrong. The punishment was a stroke of the belt - a leather strap across the hand.
My spelling improved overnight.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

10-02-2020, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I may have posted this before.
Each week we had to do an essay.
I got more than four spellings wrong. The punishment was a stroke of the belt - a leather strap across the hand.
My spelling improved overnight.
But your writing declined Besoeker.....
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by basser ->
Good and bad days fun and misery, please tell us of your schools that you attended infant junior College University days

At my last senior school we had a sadistic teacher who used to slipper us if we broke the rules, on this size 11 slipper he would chalk on the bottom his initial which was the letter
W.....then all day us bad kids would walk around with a big white W stuck to our trousers then every one would know who were the bad kids I had plenty of WWWWW's chalked on my arse over the years
Basser, you ought to have tried going to a Catholic Convent School!! Every teacher apart from the Cookery Teacher, was a Nun, and believe you and me, those ladies had so much frustration up their sleeves they took them all out on the schoolchildren, Some of them were so sadistic, they must have spent every evening on their knees praying for forgiveness!!

I well remember one Nun. I was eight years old. We were outside in the playground practicing a routine dancing around the Maypole with ribbons for the forthcoming School Fete. As soon as she put the music on, I started to do a little dance jiggle with my classmates as we waited for her to return to start the practice. Lord only knows what she had done to get herself so worked up but I must have gulped at the time because as she strode back, she was red in the face and glaring straight at ME! As soon as she reached me she grabbed my arm like a vice, bent down and commenced to slap my leg really hard about 10 times! (honestly, I'm not exaggerating). Now, being the only girl with six brothers, I was no weak little girl, I had learned from a very early age to look after myself, but that Nun really hurt me and I was in floods of tears with big red welts from her slaps on my little legs.
Needless to say, when my Mum found out, she was livid and stormed up to the school to see the Mother Superior (Headmistress). Don't know the outcome as too young to understand, but that Nun never touched any other child again as far as I am aware.
The boys fared even worse. They used to have to lay their hands out on the desk palms up, and they would get beaten with a drumstick on both. If they moved their hand out of the way while the drumstick was coming down, they would get an extra beating. Some of them were really cruel, but there were some lovely Nuns there too.

Otherwise, loved school as had so many girls chasing after my brothers, I for some reason, became the most popular girl in school to go around with.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
But your writing declined Besoeker.....
Do you mean style or handwriting?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top