Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Les
Belfast - Northern Ireland
Les is male  Les has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2011, 10:48 AM

Re: North Cyprus Part 2

Hi John, sorry to hear things didn't work out well weather wise - I spent 6 months in Cyprus with the U.N. - Was able to spend time in both North and South - Lovely Place!
Milo
Cyprus
Milo is female  Milo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 07:36 PM

Hi John

Oh dear you definitely hit our bout of bad weather in fact it's unusual to have storms that early in the winter season, but they were quite bad. Can I suggest that end September or early October if your not a fan of the hot sun would be perfect.

Then again I love the Spring here we get a fair bit of heavy rain on and off in January and February so by April May it's glorious, but the odd day of rain could spoil a holiday for some. I would say after mid May onwards is perfect until end of June early July when we hit high figures until at least end of September, easing up at night then with lower temps and
by November it can be cool evenings (for me anyhow) and cloudy grey or rain on some days. You do take a chance coming here in November, but many come because they dislike the intense sun. Today for instance climbed to 18, being acclimatized I am wearing a thin jumper tonight is very cold and down to 5.

Kyrenia is fairly unspoiled but still touristy with that price bracket, Famagusta has some interesting history did you see the Ghost City? Also visit the Walled city of Famagusta? Another of my favorite places in the north is Bellepais, beautiful spot high up with the backdrop of the Kyrenia mountains and the sea down below.

You can quite easily fly to Larnaca in the South and be taken over to the north by bus or taxi from the north, takes the normal flying time to the South of 4.5 hours then a further journey to Kyrenia of a couple of hours. I think you will need to arrange the holiday with those who do so in the north though as very few taxis or buses here will oblige given the occupation, although some do. But many tour operators are waiting at the airport in Larnaca to take tourists on a holiday in the north. But if you do it independently and something goes wrong the Souths airport will not help you.

You will have to cross at the cease fire line, or green line and show your passport and get a visa, but it's straightforward. It's not a border btw as the north of Cyprus is under illegal occupation by Turkey, and is unrecognized by all countries still except Turkey.

I live very close to the crossing in the south of the island, which incorporates the Ayios Nicolaous Army base where you will recognize many of our lads from the UK army.

We go over often to the north probably once a fortnight for lunch and a cake from one of the best Patisseries ever with cakes that are not only divine but a work of art, will try and remember to take my camera next time.

There is a restaurant outside of Kyrenia called the Ambiance it's location and it's food are pretty good IMO. Here's a link so you can see what I mean http://www.ambiancecyprus.com/photos/large/dining-2.jpg

Another trip I would recommend is hire a car and visit the panhandle or the Karpaz region, completely unspoiled and empty beaches for miles, it's stunning, unfortunately they have built a new marina in the area but the rich need to do these things I suppose.

Hope you give it a go again one day. You can though holiday this side and take trips over to the north we have the red bus tours and others that do trips over, the red bus being an open top red double decker! It passes my house every day in the season.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2011, 09:01 PM

Thanks Milo for that useful and very detailed information. About nine years ago, my wife and I holidayed in Ayia Napa, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I hasten to add we were'nt there giving it large in the nightclubs, as they say! Pretty little spot. Like I said in my thread, apart from the weather which you can't do much about, it was that ghastly flight with Onur Air. We flew Cyprus Air when we were in the south, and they were wonderful.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top