Join for free
Page 43 of 56 « First < 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2020, 11:27 PM

Re: Coronavirus: Dominic Cummings visited parents' home while he had symptoms

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I have no compassion for someone who breaks rules that protected the lives of the most vulnerable of our society. Shame on him. He wrote those rules.
Annie, Who are you to judge? Are you so squeaky clean and have never broken a rule?

I think you have children? Isn’t the wellbeing of your children paramount and above everything?

Or would you adhere to the rule to the detriment of your child?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2020, 11:31 PM

Now now, don't get personal Art but feel free to go on if you want.

If I've learnt one thing from all this it's that ... heaven forbid I should develop Covid ... but if I do show symptoms.. I'll nip out and get a few loads of shopping in so I don't have to leave my flat for 14 days, after.
I'll try not to breathe on anyone . A sad pity if I infect anyone.
This is the DC concept of organising your isolation so must surely be the correct way.

Why would I do this?
Because I care about old people.
Because I'm in a block of retirement flats ... some of the residents are in their 80's and 90's and even with food deliveries and this recent army of helpers to bring provisions I wouldn't want to add to the numbers of visitors traipsing through the complex.

My mistake was I just hadn't realised that everyone should interpret the advice in their own unique ways.

By the way ... I reckon Boris has done a pretty good job so far seen as there is no road map to follow. (Not even a sat nav to Durham .. couldn't resist that one).
He's just fallen at this hurdle.
I bet there's a couple of things the government won't do again.
1) Total lockdown.
2) Furlough workers.
3) Claim to be protecting the elderly in care homes ... given the atrocious loss of life that seems to have occured there.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2020, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Annie, Who are you to judge? Are you so squeaky clean and have never broken a rule?

I think you have children? Isn’t the wellbeing of your children paramount and above everything?

Wrong questions Art.
The idea of society pulling together and adhering to rules is that so the whole of society as one unit stands the best chance of success .... not one person considering their own welfare.
What if everyone in the country did the same?

And worse ... a person with the standing of DC who could hardly be called ignorant or uninformed about the seriousness of the situation.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2020, 11:42 PM

I do not break rules Art and I am squeaky clean in that respect. I have been shielding others who are far more vulnerable than me and I am disgusted with this situation because I am super careful! Those in my position feel just as dismayed. Those in a different position are entitled to have their opinion but some of us have been terrified of this virus spreading and killing those we love.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2020, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Wrong questions Art.
The idea of society pulling together and adhering to rules is that so the whole of society as one unit stands the best chance of success .... not one person considering their own welfare.
What if everyone in the country did the same?

And worse ... a person with the standing of DC who could hardly be called ignorant or uninformed about the seriousness of the situation.
Tell me, Morti, how do you want him to be punished? Would punishment make you feel better? Would you celebrate and crow about it. Tell me, what it would achieve?

In many people’s eyes, Dominic Cummings has committed the most heinous crime.... there’s no corpse, there’s no physical injury to anyone but he is classed by some, as a despicable criminal.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

27-05-2020, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I do not break rules Art and I am squeaky clean in that respect. I have been shielding others who are far more vulnerable than me and I am disgusted with this situation because I am super careful! Those in my position feel just as dismayed. Those in a different position are entitled to have their opinion but some of us have been terrified of this virus spreading and killing those we love.
So Annie, you would feel better, even think justice has been done, if he was severely punished and sacked from his job?

All because you’re miffed he broke a rule.

Tis done, it happened, let it go, as your grievance and despondency, will eat away at you.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

28-05-2020, 12:09 AM

Tell me, Morti, how do you want him to be punished? Would punishment make you feel better? Would you celebrate and crow about it. Tell me, what it would achieve?

In many people’s eyes, Dominic Cummings has committed the most heinous crime.... there’s no corpse, there’s no physical injury to anyone but he is classed by some, as a despicable criminal.
By heck lass, climb down off your offended crusading charger before your knickers , that you've got in a twist, throttle you.

I tell you what ... there is no crowing involved .. far from it .. I'm rather disappointed in the guy, but I do wonder at how anyone with an ounce of decency can support his selfish behaviour.

Compassion has been mentioned, for a guy concerned about his 4 year old kid.
How does that merit compassion? That's like the thief who steals to feed his kid ... who is still, incidentally, a thief.
And like the butterfly efffect, though his child might be fed, the thief has to hope that his own action does not set off a chain of disastrous events for others.

Here's a story that encourages compassion.

The Dutch Prime Minister did not go to see his own dying mother, aged 96, for two months because of lockdown restrictions. He did go to see her on the night she passed away.
I hope both of them, sufficiently aware of the bond of love they shared, managed to struggle through what must have been a terribly difficult time without seeing each other .. when the natural instinct is to want to be together.
That ...I find very sad.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9532641.html

And that is but one story of personal misery.

Dominic Cummings?
I can't find it in me to champion him at all. Let those who can relate to his actions and portray him as a victim do that.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 12:35 AM

Former home secretary calls on Cummings to resign

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...084e8826559ff8

The former Tory home secretary Amber Rudd has become the latest prominent figure to say Dominic Cummings should depart No 10 over his lockdown breach.

Rudd, who also served as work and pensions secretary and chose not to stand for reelection as an MP in December after resigning the Conservative whip, has told ITV’s Peston:

He should quit because he’s making things worse. People have been great during the lockdown. In a really difficult period, they have complied. And now they’re confused and that makes them angry and I think that will have consequences.

So when he thinks, as any of us working in government must, ‘am I adding here, am I helping?’ he can only conclude that his presence is making things worse at a time when we’re already in a crisis.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

28-05-2020, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
By heck lass, climb down off your offended crusading charger before your knickers , that you've got in a twist, throttle you.

I tell you what ... there is no crowing involved .. far from it .. I'm rather disappointed in the guy, but I do wonder at how anyone with an ounce of decency can support his selfish behaviour.

Compassion has been mentioned, for a guy concerned about his 4 year old kid.
How does that merit compassion? That's like the thief who steals to feed his kid ... who is still, incidentally, a thief.
And like the butterfly efffect, though his child might be fed, the thief has to hope that his own action does not set off a chain of disastrous events for others.

Here's a story that encourages compassion.

The Dutch Prime Minister did not go to see his own dying mother, aged 96, for two months because of lockdown restrictions. He did go to see her on the night she passed away.
I hope both of them, sufficiently aware of the bond of love they shared, managed to struggle through what must have been a terribly difficult time without seeing each other .. when the natural instinct is to want to be together.
That ...I find very sad.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9532641.html

And that is but one story of personal misery.

Dominic Cummings?
I can't find it in me to champion him at all. Let those who can relate to his actions and portray him as a victim do that.
Morti, Are you in bed yet? If so, go and have a look out your bedroom window.
Can you see any reporters out there? Any cameras, huge screens, big vans and people shouting? No you can’t and nor can the rest of us.
Yet, somewhere in London there’s this bloke, his wife and child and close neighbours with reporters, cameras, screens, big vans and people outside their houses.
They probably haven’t had any proper rest or sleep this week. They are probably scared too.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 12:58 AM

Tory anger at Dominic Cummings grows as 61 MPs defy Boris Johnson

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-boris-johnson

More than 60 Conservative MPs have continued to defy Boris Johnson’s calls to “move on” from the Dominic Cummings crisis as a senior minister broke ranks to accuse the aide of inconsistencies in his account of his behaviour during lockdown.

The former chancellor Sajid Javid also said the journey was not “necessary or justified” as the number of backbenchers calling for Cummings to resign or be sacked grew to 44, with a total of 61 Tory MPs weighing in to criticise him.

Two of those condemning Cummings are government whips.
If my calculations are correct, that's a sixth (17%) of the Tory MPs to "come out" ..... how many more share the view but have yet to go public .....

Page 43 of 56 « First < 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top