Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2021, 10:22 PM

Re: Are You A Precise Packer?

Originally Posted by mart ->
In the days when we went to the supermarket (seems a lifetime ago) I was a precise packer. I'd joke with the checkout person that there'd be trouble if I squashed anything.

We'd sometimes see our neighbours in the supermarket. They used to remark on the way the items in our trolley were so carefully placed and stacked.
Similar for me. It's just easier.
Or it was a lifetime ago as you rightly commented.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2021, 11:52 PM

Left to myself at a supermarket checkout, I just throw every thing in, except eggs that is, I make sure those are cushioned safely, but as I usually go with Son, I just hand items to him from the conveyer belt & he deftly packs the bags, that are neatly arranged upright & open in the trolley. He is far tidier than I am. I then pay the bill.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2021, 12:04 AM

Apart from trying to keep fridge and freezer stuff together, and fragile things on top, I generally just shove everything in. My kitchen really isn't big enough for me to worry about what bag needs to be placed down where and in proximity to its content's final storage destination.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2021, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Left to myself at a supermarket checkout, I just throw every thing in, except eggs that is, I make sure those are cushioned safely, but as I usually go with Son, I just hand items to him from the conveyer belt & he deftly packs the bags, that are neatly arranged upright & open in the trolley. He is far tidier than I am. I then pay the bill.
Mrs mart and me were a double-act. She can't help very much with the packing but I'd put the items on the belt sort of in the order we wanted them packed. As they came through, she'd shove them on and sort them a bit more. Then I'd put the items into the bags. As quick as any untidy packer I reckon but I never actually had a race with anyone to find out.

Anyway, while I'm finalizing the bags and putting them in the trolley, she would do the paying. A well-practiced and speedy procedure. I wonder if we'll ever do it again?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2021, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Mrs mart and me were a double-act. She can't help very much with the packing but I'd put the items on the belt sort of in the order we wanted them packed. As they came through, she'd shove them on and sort them a bit more. Then I'd put the items into the bags. As quick as any untidy packer I reckon but I never actually had a race with anyone to find out.

Anyway, while I'm finalizing the bags and putting them in the trolley, she would do the paying. A well-practiced and speedy procedure. I wonder if we'll ever do it again?
I do try to do that, but the checkout people don't always pick them to scan them in the order. Son sorts it when he puts them in the bags.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2021, 01:25 AM

We haven't been into a supermarket for a long time.But if we did,the check out chicks would pack the bags for us.That's what they do here,though some are better at it then others.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2021, 02:09 AM

If using the self service tills with a basket then yes definitely because you inevitably end up buying more than you can comfortably carry. Then the challenge is fitting everything into your reusable bags so that you don't have to pay for a dratted bag for life yet again. This requires engineered precision in maximising the space efficiently so you don't end up walking out balancing a cantaloupe on your nose.

The other really fun challenge with self service checkouts is to go to one that lets you use trolleys and really mastermind the bagging section so that you can balance every single item in your trolley in one go. It's a bit like a real life game of Jengo.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2021, 06:07 AM

I don't know a Precise Packer but here is a Kerry Packer on Tax and Government

His father, a Frank Packer, used to ring me when I worked at his TV station.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2021, 08:26 AM

It drives me mad to be behind someone in a queue who takes forever just to put their shopping away. I think it's so selfish to keep other shoppers waiting. Do they really have to place their purse right at the bottom of their bags and start fishing through God knows what to find it while everyone's waiting?

Same as folk at petrol stations who've paid but feel the need to do a 100 point check before getting out of the way just because they can.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2021, 09:14 AM

I was able to switch off in supermarket queues. Do a bit of people watching or read packaging. Never got frustrated or cross with those in front.

The race to the least busy checkout is another matter. Nothing worse than spotting a checkout that looks as if it would be the quickest, only to be beaten there in the last seconds by someone who has bought half the goods in the supermarket.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top