Join for free
Page 13 of 22 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 03:14 PM

Re: Squirrels are great.

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Annie, my neighbour next door, buys mesh waste paper baskets at the dollar store and he uses them over the plants he is protecting, like the lettuce. The rabbits will eat the whole thing if they can. We have lovely rabbits also here. Some people even use chicken wire around the plants.
That's a good idea Blue, but quite expensive when you have a lot of pots. I re-use the foil plates each year. I'm thinking of getting some chicken wire to keep the animals off the veg patch next year and I've invested in a raised bed. The cats seem to like using the area as a toilet!

I've just this morning replanted five daffodil bulbs I planted last weekend at the back of the garden which were lying scattered on the grass. I've put wire and a folding trellis over a large part of the planting area but it didn't spread wide enough for these bulbs. I wouldn't mind if at least the squirrels would eat them. They dig them up take a bite maybe and then scoot off!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 04:19 PM

Chicken wire has saved our plants from rabbits, We love seeing them but they eat everything not protected and it's a bit sad to spend money and work to make a garden only to see a line of chewed sticks where your planting was put the day before.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That's a good idea Blue, but quite expensive when you have a lot of pots. I re-use the foil plates each year. I'm thinking of getting some chicken wire to keep the animals off the veg patch next year and I've invested in a raised bed. The cats seem to like using the area as a toilet!

I've just this morning replanted five daffodil bulbs I planted last weekend at the back of the garden which were lying scattered on the grass. I've put wire and a folding trellis over a large part of the planting area but it didn't spread wide enough for these bulbs. I wouldn't mind if at least the squirrels would eat them. They dig them up take a bite maybe and then scoot off!
Do you have rabbits there Annie? They love digging up the bulbs also...

Sorry you are having so much trouble, perhaps what you suggested about the chicken wire will help. We don't have many outdoor cats, but I know they love to poop in other people's gardens for some reason.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Chicken wire has saved our plants from rabbits, We love seeing them but they eat everything not protected and it's a bit sad to spend money and work to make a garden only to see a line of chewed sticks where your planting was put the day before.
Oh, I hadn't read yet and answered Annie's...so you do have rabbits. Yes, they are fun to watch, I love them, but they sure do make a mess of the gardens when they decide they want to eat the lettuce and other things......

I put the old leaves from the lettuce out, so they would leave my plants alone. And any left over lettuce that I would normally put in the garbage, I put out for them and they eat it.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

08-12-2018, 04:35 PM

Would it be a stalker or a troll....I don't know. I forgot what they said the difference is.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by MrFraggle ->
Can you explain the reason for your posts interesting to some they maybe?
Who are you referring to Mr Fraggle?
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 04:47 PM

I built a frame out of spare 2 x 1 inch timber and a £5 roll of chicken wire as the squirrels were digging up my newly planted plants. Once they had grown I took off the frame and the squirrels left the plants alone.
MrFraggle
United Kingdom
MrFraggle is male  MrFraggle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Who are you referring to Mr Fraggle?
The rather long ones from Sweetie pie.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2018, 04:56 PM

The squirrels that come in our garden disappear as soon as I open the back door

I took this one through the kitchen window....

MrFraggle
United Kingdom

08-12-2018, 04:58 PM

Nice Mags.

My videos are taken through my kitchen window which is one floor up.

Page 13 of 22 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top