Join for free
Page 27 of 36 « First < 17 25 26 27 28 29 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 01:32 PM

Re: Energy: SMART Meters

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Is this some perceived action for the future?
Yes Judd, though the perception is simply the understanding of how Smart Meters have been rolled out in other countries.
There is no doubt whatsoever that Variable Rate Billing WILL be coming but even someone as astute as yourself must surely see that if they broadcast that fact now, then there would be widespread refusal of people to take up Smart Meters. It is the Smart Meter that ENABLES Variable Rate Billing to happen.

So what's happening is they are slipping Smart Meters in "under the radar" so to speak, via stealth, via clever misleading advertising and by giving people a stupid gadget to focus their attention on rather than have them see the true purpose of the Smart Meter.

Right now you won't see any difference at all in your bills because your Smart Meter has just replaced your old meter and is just recording your usage. BUT . . . . when the energy companies switch to Variable Rate Billing then you're sadly Daffy Ducked. The period from late afternoon through the evening will be deemed "peak period" and you will then be charged an INCREASED rate for energy used during that time. Overnight will be "Quiet Period" and you'll be charged less during that period.

So if you do absolutely nothing at all, continue consuming energy exactly as you do now, when Variable Rate Billing comes in your bills WILL go up because all the energy you use in Peak Period will be charged at the highest rate.

What will you do? Record all your TV programmes and only watch them from 3am to 11am throughout the night?

What about your heating, cooking your evening meal, kids playing on consoles and laptops when they are home from school? etc etc

People simply do not yet realise the implication of what is surely coming. It will be too late once it comes because no-one will uninstall your Smart Meter and put an old one back.

My average electricity consumption for example is £70 per quarter and has been for several years annual price increases not withstanding.
Yep and you are charged by the UNIT. Doesn't matter when during the day you used those UNITS, they all get charged at the same rate whether morning, afternoon, evening or overnight.

What I am saying is that situation will change. You will be charged different rates at different times of the day. Result . . . massive increase in your bills.

Worth doing the research on this.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 01:50 PM

There's a good news article here that highlights the pressure the energy suppliers are under to force Smart Meters onto the public. Not a good situation imo. This is I believe a MASSIVE "illuminate" style movement. The benefits to the energy moguls is enormous, the Smart Meters will ultimately (not initially) generate $billions if not $trillions more in profits. They will of course use any means possible to mandate that have the meters.

Hence we must stand up and refuse for as long as possible. Switch suppliers to those that don't care if we have old meters and ideally, install solar panels and other renewable energy solutions to get "off grid" as much as possible.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yes, I also agree with Mart's post.
The way things are going, your wages/pension will be paid into your bank account and taken out without your knowledge, if you don't have time to keep checking it, as happens now with many institutions. Automatic Renewal and Direct Debit.

No need to read meters or pay for your energy, it will all be done automatically.....So you can get on with your life with what remains of your hard earned cash....
Not bloody likely!
I would hate to see traffic wardens disappear though.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I would hate to see traffic wardens disappear though.
Yes, they do a wonderful job, don't they?

I ought to add that I have never been 'done' by one, probably because I park sensibly!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Yes Judd, though the perception is simply the understanding of how Smart Meters have been rolled out in other countries.
There is no doubt whatsoever that Variable Rate Billing WILL be coming but even someone as astute as yourself must surely see that if they broadcast that fact now, then there would be widespread refusal of people to take up Smart Meters. It is the Smart Meter that ENABLES Variable Rate Billing to happen.

So what's happening is they are slipping Smart Meters in "under the radar" so to speak, via stealth, via clever misleading advertising and by giving people a stupid gadget to focus their attention on rather than have them see the true purpose of the Smart Meter.

Right now you won't see any difference at all in your bills because your Smart Meter has just replaced your old meter and is just recording your usage. BUT . . . . when the energy companies switch to Variable Rate Billing then you're sadly Daffy Ducked. The period from late afternoon through the evening will be deemed "peak period" and you will then be charged an INCREASED rate for energy used during that time. Overnight will be "Quiet Period" and you'll be charged less during that period.

So if you do absolutely nothing at all, continue consuming energy exactly as you do now, when Variable Rate Billing comes in your bills WILL go up because all the energy you use in Peak Period will be charged at the highest rate.

What will you do? Record all your TV programmes and only watch them from 3am to 11am throughout the night?

What about your heating, cooking your evening meal, kids playing on consoles and laptops when they are home from school? etc etc

People simply do not yet realise the implication of what is surely coming. It will be too late once it comes because no-one will uninstall your Smart Meter and put an old one back.

Yep and you are charged by the UNIT. Doesn't matter when during the day you used those UNITS, they all get charged at the same rate whether morning, afternoon, evening or overnight.

What I am saying is that situation will change. You will be charged different rates at different times of the day. Result . . . massive increase in your bills.

Worth doing the research on this.
No problem, I'll just turn my heating off and wear thicker jumpers.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 06:31 PM

Have you noticed that people being interviewed by television News programmes about heating bills are nearly always wearing T-shirts? Put a jumper on for goodness sake!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

07-09-2018, 06:44 PM

What about the leckie? TV, lights, laptops, kettle, oven etc ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 06:51 PM

He's in Yorkshire.

As all southerners know, TVs and laptops haven't yet found their way into Yorkshire.

We still use candles for lighting and burn wood or coal for heating ovens and kettles.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 07:13 PM

Seldom watch TV, all my lights are LED or CFL, Coffee machine used three times at most per day, oven maybe once a week, ditto wash m/c. Biggest consumption is fridge/freezer and electric shower which is only 4kW in summer.

Very frugal us Yorkies.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

07-09-2018, 11:16 PM

Very frugal us Yorkies.
Which part of Yorkshire ?

Page 27 of 36 « First < 17 25 26 27 28 29 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top