Join for free
Page 4 of 25 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 05:49 PM

Re: Hypocrisy Democracy

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
You can slice it whatever way you want, but no Parliament or Government is legally or constitutionally obliged to "honour" the result of a referendum, whatever it may have promised beforehand.

To suggest otherwise is to misunderstand fundamentally the way that the UK is governed.
Any parliament or Government who asks the nation to vote on something and then simply ignores the result is risking outright civil war if not huge civil unrest. Better not to ask the nation to vote than to have them vote and ignore the result. Such actions would rightly be deemed totally undemocratic and the actions of a tyrannical dictatorship hiding behind the illusion of democracy.

To suggest otherwise is to misunderstand fundamentally the purpose of democracy.

There can be NO SECOND REFERENDUM because having one would undermine totally the democratic process and herald in a totalitarian police state. No-one wants civil unrest or civil war in this country. It would be wholly irresponsible for any government to now ignore the result of the referendum.

It would see total collapse of national control.

Who would then ever vote again? What would be the point?

If lots of people vote for a Looney Labour government at the next General Election what should the existing government do? Would it be ok for the Tories to say "well thanks for showing us how you feel but we've decided we will keep a Tory government in power"

And what if the Looney Labour party were allowed into No 10, but then it transpired very quickly that they weren't going to deliver anything in their manifesto and say couldn't ever afford to wipe student debts and give free tuition fees?

With this new and additional knowledge then known would it be ok for the nation to insist on another General Election within a month of Labour going to No 10 on the basis that they are now better informed?

Can we keep having a General Election until the Tories win?

As ever this Remainer BS is just ridiculous clap trap.

Utterly desperate people seeking purely to protect their current lucrative business positions and profits.

Seriously GTFO of my country. If you don't support the democratic process then move to another country where they don't have democracy. Quit trying to usurp the UK democracy with your totalitarian police state BS.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 07:08 PM

No, that's wrong.

Referenda are fundamentally un-British and un-constitutional. This is why no less a right-wing "hero" than the Blessed Margaret Hilda Thatcher (remember that bag?) stood up at the dispatch box in the HOC time after time throughout her time as PM and refused appeals for referenda on a variety of subjects - capital punishment, abortion, immigration, euthanasia, etc. Her reason? The UK is governed by Parliament, not by referenda. The latter undermines the authority of the traditional method of governance of these isles. MPs are representatives, not delegates, a principle established by no less a Tory than Edmund Burke at the end of the 19th century.

If you don't like that, then I suggest you take up residence in a European jurisdiction where your un-patriotic & un-British sentiments and principles will find a convenient home.

This is England, old boy - don't you forget it.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
At least he can spell Banchory......
The spelling spy is suitably correct
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 07:24 PM

No, that's wrong.

Referenda are fundamentally un-British and un-constitutional. This is why no less a right-wing "hero" than the Blessed Margaret Hilda Thatcher (remember that bag?) stood up at the dispatch box in the HOC time after time throughout her time as PM and refused appeals for referenda on a variety of subjects - capital punishment, abortion, immigration, euthanasia, etc. Her reason? The UK is governed by Parliament, not by referenda. The latter undermines the authority of the traditional method of governance of these isles. MPs are representatives, not delegates, a principle established by no less a Tory than Edmund Burke at the end of the 19th century.

If you don't like that, then I suggest you take up residence in a European jurisdiction where your un-patriotic & un-British sentiments and principles will find a convenient home.

This is England, old boy - don't you forget it.

Not if we change our constitution !!! - something I have advocated for many years - abolishing the monarchy at be replaced by a directly elected President, abolishing the House of Lords and replacing it with a directly elected second chamber and converting our present MPs into DELEGATES rather than Representatives.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 07:34 PM

Interesting ideas.

Good luck with the project!

Until then, we have to run with what we have.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
What a limited and vulgar way of expressing yourself Moscow.

I've posted on here enough times for you to accept that I am perfectly capable of expressing myself.

I also like a good perjorative, as should anyone who loves language.

All language is valid in the right context and any racist is a shitbag. Perfectly good use of the word shitbag and a context in which I shall continue to use it.

Perhaps you have a better word to describe the Jew baiting racist shitbags in the Labour Party.

I'm always willing to learn !
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 08:41 PM

To repeat: the UK is governed by Parliament, not by referenda.

You can slice it whatever way you want, but no Parliament or Government is legally or constitutionally obliged to "honour" the result of a referendum, whatever it may have promised beforehand.

To suggest otherwise is to misunderstand fundamentally the way that the UK is governed.
It can be governed by Parliament but Parliament needs to represent the people that elected that Parliament.

Parliament agreed to the referendum and it was made clear by all sides that the result would be honoured.
( Cant really see the point of going to the trouble and expense of a referendum where you wouldn't vow to honour it, but maybe you can humour me as to why that would happen!)

You can try to revise that in any way you like but by doing so you are a traitor to Democracy and dishonourable in every way.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
I've posted on here enough times for you to accept that I am perfectly capable of expressing myself.

I also like a good perjorative, as should anyone who loves language.

All language is valid in the right context and any racist is a shitbag. Perfectly good use of the word shitbag and a context in which I shall continue to use it.

Perhaps you have a better word to describe the Jew baiting racist shitbags in the Labour Party.

I'm always willing to learn !
Well said mate......
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2019, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Not if we change our constitution !!! - something I have advocated for many years - abolishing the monarchy at be replaced by a directly elected President, abolishing the House of Lords and replacing it with a directly elected second chamber and converting our present MPs into DELEGATES rather than Representatives.

And there you go ... shouting at the rain..
Fosterbrad
London UK
Fosterbrad is male  Fosterbrad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2019, 09:18 AM

The purpose of this particular post is to engender political debate so it is great to receive and read some of the considered responses. I can assure those people diametrically opposed to the idea of a second referendum that I believe strongly in the proposition that the other side ‘must’ be heard.. And yes remainer as well as Brexiteer politicians misled and misrepresented the facts as regards the potential impact/, of Brexit. However, it is a fact that by voting to leave the EU, political power will increase and UK citizens will lose all of their rights and freedoms associated with being an EU member citizen. But the ‘elephant in the room’ still remains unanswered, ‘what will tangibly be gained as as a result of leaving?

Page 4 of 25 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top