Join for free
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 07:11 PM

Masks in School

On Monday my great niece who is just 11 years old started at her first year in high school.

When she was in school last she was forever coming home with coughs and colds as she is asthmatic and my niece has been terribly worried about her daughter going back into school what with the threat of Covid-19.

Of course she knows her daughter needs to go to school but my little niece told us she is anxious and she wants to wear a mask in school.

The school rules say the children need to wear a mask in the corridors but once in class they can't wear masks.

My niece told her daughter if she felt safer with a mask on to put it on. Also my niece has a lot of underlying health issues and her partner has Cystic Fibrosis so if the little girl was to bring in Covid-19 it is unlikely my nieces partner would survive as he is already on borrowed time.

So off my little great niece goes to school and wears the mask in class only to be told to take it off. She got upset and told the teacher but Mummy says I can wear it but still she was made to take it off. My little great niece wasn't cheeky, (she's a very respectful young lady) but by telling the teacher Mummy said she has to wear one the teacher got annoyed with her.

On arriving home from school when my little niece told Mummy what had happened in school my Niece phoned the school to complain and explaining their situation with health issues. But, the school wouldn't back down and told her if she wanted to take it further she has to write a letter which she did do. As yet nothing has been sent back.

I think my young niece should be able to wear the mask if it makes her feel safer and I'm furious the school have upset her like this, just when she is only just gone up to high school.

People are anxious enough as it without this.

This virus is horrible, it's upset the whole worlds lives as we always knew it.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 07:30 PM

Re: Masks in School

That's appalling behaviour from the teacher and school - AFAIK, there's no rule against wearing a mask in school, just NOT wearing one in the designated places.

Bearing in mind her own and her home health situation, wearing a mask seems an eminently sensible thing to do.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
That's appalling behaviour from the teacher and school - AFAIK, there's no rule against wearing a mask in school, just NOT wearing one in the designated places.

Bearing in mind her own and her home health situation, wearing a mask seems an eminently sensible thing to do.
My niece says if she doesn't hear anything back she is going to the local newspaper, hopefully it won't come to that. She feels very strongly about it and I totally understand her reasons.
JeanMcP
Ireland
JeanMcP is female  JeanMcP has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2020, 08:31 PM

Your family' s situation highlights the madness of mask wearing

For this of us who don't have to wear one, we have members of the great unwashed asking us to prove it, and in your case its vice versa

I would give her the mask, tell her to wear it, and when challenged, ge there to bring her home and be on the phone to the press and local MP

Mask wearing has become the latest stick to beat people up on, a total disgrace

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top