Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
RJG
UK
RJG is female  RJG has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 06:22 PM

Re: Making the same mistakes

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I only recently found out that if a car goes wrong, you take it to the garage and they plug it into a computer to check what the problem is! A USB port for your car! Is this what car mechanics have evolved into? Thank goodness I don't drive.....
I have been able to drive since I was twelve, we had a large property, which enabled me to do so. I hope I can drive for a few more years yet, although I don't go long distances these days, and steer clear of the motorways too.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by RJG ->
I have been able to drive since I was twelve, we had a large property, which enabled me to do so. I hope I can drive for a few more years yet, although I don't go long distances these days, and steer clear of the motorways too.
Not a usb port but a data port which performs a similar function.

Thing is that modern cars are so highly instrumented and need to run so efficiently that this is necessary. My current beast has somewhere around 80 computers of various sorts and in excess of 100 sensors all over it. OK a Moggie Minor it ain't but when it comes to efficiency it beats an old Moggie hands down in terms of power out Vs petrol in.

One example of the role now taken by onboard computers are the lights. No complexity of wiring looms, just two wires.

One single power feed common to all lights and another single wire - a data bus which fits into a control module for each light cluster. The same data bus is bi directional and serves other control modules (don't know what, where, or what they do) but include split rear heater and sensors, courtesy lights, rear a/c motors, and no doubt other things I've not encountered yet - and all run by two wires only.

As for the lump under the bonnet and all its bits - don't ask ('cos I just don't know) but the result is that by connecting the right machine running the right software into the Master Control Unit in a matter of no time at all any defect can be identified along with advised remedial action.

Would I go back to a Moggie Minor?

No way Jose!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Not a usb port but a data port which performs a similar function

One single power feed common to all lights and another single wire - a data bus which fits into a control module for each light cluster. The same data bus is bi directional and serves other control modules (don't know what, where, or what they do) but include split rear heater and sensors, courtesy lights, rear a/c motors, and no doubt other things I've not encountered yet - and all run by two wires only.

No way Jose!
Hmm, so if I learn to drive sometime this year., or next.....I can't just go and buy a regular old fashioned car then? I need to know a bit about the technology too? Is that what car maintenance is these days?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Not a usb port but a data port which performs a similar function.

Thing is that modern cars are so highly instrumented and need to run so efficiently that this is necessary. My current beast has somewhere around 80 computers of various sorts and in excess of 100 sensors all over it. OK a Moggie Minor it ain't but when it comes to efficiency it beats an old Moggie hands down in terms of power out Vs petrol in.

One example of the role now taken by onboard computers are the lights. No complexity of wiring looms, just two wires.

As for the lump under the bonnet and all its bits - don't ask ('cos I just don't know) but the result is that by connecting the right machine running the right software into the Master Control Unit in a matter of no time at all any defect can be identified along with advised remedial action.

No way Jose
!

I had a Moggie pick-up once, then the Traveller, and then the Saloon - never had one with the split windscreen though.

They all got me from A-B just the same as my car does now, and without all the expensive computerised bits.

Loved 'em.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I had a Moggie pick-up once, then the Traveller, and then the Saloon - never had one with the split windscreen though.

They all got me from A-B just the same as my car does now, and without all the expensive computerised bits.

Loved 'em.
If I were ever to get a car, it would have to be an old VW beetle....not the new kind. Or a van, so I could do it up inside. I don't know enough about cars to pick a new one....maybe a mini? Or a Saab....very much last choice.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top