Join for free
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 07:41 PM

Re: Flattery will get you nowhere

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I agree with Carol, tell the truth but in a tactful manner

Same here.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I believe thinking someone has put a lot of weight on is just as bad as speaking it out.....I thought that about a friend a few days back, as she came through the door ,I was thinking omg, you have put a ton load of weight on, but would never speak it out to her, because it would have made her feel terrible, she was telling me how depressed she was over her weight....well, I could hardly tell her my thoughts could I.
Well I agree here, sometimes we have to think before we speak. The person who has put weight on or is overweight already knows it without us making them feel worse.

I also think weight is a very delicate subject for some. I would never ask anyone if they thought I'd put weight on, it's something we already should know if we have or not.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
If a wife asks her husband how she looks, my advice for him is to lie through his teeth. As in, "You look fantastic, darling"
Off topic, off topic!!! Where are the mods? This thread is about flattery not self-preservation.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Off topic, off topic!!! Where are the mods? This thread is about flattery not self-preservation.

Good one SM
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
If a wife asks her husband how she looks, my advice for him is to lie through his teeth. As in, "You look fantastic, darling"
Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

Ha Ha ha It is about flattery. IMO no woman wants to hear ANYTHING remotely negative about how she looks. She wants/needs to be flattered.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I believe thinking someone has put a lot of weight on is just as bad as speaking it out....
Why is thinking something just as bad as speaking it out Pauline? I don't understand how it could be.

Thoughts don't hurt people's feelings or destroy their confidence but words do!!

I'm really interested in your explanation..
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2021, 09:54 PM

Bad thoughts could make you a bad person, spiel can be Glib, who knows!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by RJG ->
I don't feel like that about forums, to me they are a displacement activity when I have a few moments to spare. Unless you have actually met people in real life you can't know what they are really like at all. In the past I have met in person some members of forums on which I used to post, with one exception they were nothing like the way they portrayed themselves on the Internet.
How about an example (without mentioning names)? what did you feel a person was portraying themselves to be on a forum and what was their actual persona when you met them?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Why is thinking something just as bad as speaking it out Pauline? I don't understand how it could be.

Thoughts don't hurt people's feelings or destroy their confidence but words do!!

I'm really interested in your explanation..

Thoughts are just as bad imo as speaking them out, you are hiding what you want to say, so when you told her she had only put a little weight on, you never spoke your real/ true thoughts. so really you were telling an untruth...same as I did with my friend, I’m learning not to think such thoughts,
because they aren’t nice....
You are free to behave/ speak as you choose, none of my business.

I am also free to do the same, I choose to try and banish nasty thoughts from my mind....it’s not a good thing and they can take hold.

A good example is your neighbour and the bollard you installed,I bet your thoughts about your neighbour caused you some type of anguish?......I sounded like you hated him, not good thoughts eh Carol....not good for ones health either.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2021, 06:46 AM

For some reason I can't quote this, so I will put my answer here: You replied
"Thoughts are just as bad imo as speaking them out, if you don’t understand that , Carol, then I can’t help you, .."

I actually don't understand that either, Pauiine....thoughts come into the mind, unbidden. Its how we make decisions in the world. It is, however, what we do with them that matters. We can choose to speak them, or choose to act upon them and it is THAT (in my opinion) which can cause the hurt. But we are free to think how we please.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top