Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 01:03 PM

Re: Do You Have A Canteen Of Cutlery?

I have a very good chef's knife that is my go-to for most things, but the knife that serves me best is an inexpensive serrated one about the size of a steak knife that is my go-to. I also have a Ginsu bread knife that my grandmother bought from some TV advertisement years ago that has been true to its promise.

My cupboards are overloaded with china (seven patterns), three or four silver coffee and tea services, more silver, sterling silverware, and too much crystal to count - all inherited it when my MIL passed away. I am just waiting for an animal rescue group that runs a second-hand store to open post pandemic so I can give it all away.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 01:36 PM

Ugh, I recall being "trained" in the art of laying a posh dinner table when I was very young, in the event that I married a nice high falutin' businessman who would bring his bosses round for dinner. I did not marry a businessman, and all my cutlery comes from Argos. We also don't eat at a table, so....there ya go
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I have a huge Royal Doulton Dinner Service.

It was my fathers, a retirement present.

I use it at Christmas.
Please Swimmy, post some pictures
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 02:21 PM

I have a daily cutlery set and dinner service set and I have a posh cutlery and serving set and never the two shall meet.
I love entertaining my family - I don’t have many friends.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I have a very good chef's knife that is my go-to for most things, but the knife that serves me best is an inexpensive serrated one about the size of a steak knife that is my go-to. I also have a Ginsu bread knife that my grandmother bought from some TV advertisement years ago that has been true to its promise.

My cupboards are overloaded with china (seven patterns), three or four silver coffee and tea services, more silver, sterling silverware, and too much crystal to count - all inherited it when my MIL passed away. I am just waiting for an animal rescue group that runs a second-hand store to open post pandemic so I can give it all away.
If the silverware has hallmarks, Surfermom, sell it to a bullion dealer. You can always donate the proceeds to a charity of your choice.

My ex's sister bought us a teak-handled canteen of cutlery as a wedding present. It was hardly ever used. Whenever it was, it had to have the handles oiled after washing to preserve their finish. She took it with her when we split up, thank God.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 06:50 PM

I had to google what a "canteen" of cutlery meant!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I had to google what a "canteen" of cutlery meant!
You have never heard it called that before, Annie?

I must be getting old!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
You have never heard it called that before, Annie?

I must be getting old!
Haha not until now

Now that I know what it is, I remember my parents having one kept somewhere in the sideboard for special occasions next to the fancy cake stands and napkins.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 07:06 PM

Gosh, does anyone still use napkins these days? I got some (pre-lockdown) from a charity shop...really nice woven ones with embroidery on them. Far too nice to wipe your face on!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

26-04-2021, 07:26 PM

well they are nice if you are entertaining, whatever that means these days! I think the last time I had them out was last summer when we were having guests on the patio. Nice to make a special occasion out of it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top