Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 07:36 PM

Re: Do You Have A Canteen Of Cutlery?

Oh exactly! Lets hope we have many more of them (safely, of course!)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 07:48 PM

Used to have a silver canteen of cutlery years ago but got fed up with having to polish it before using it. Plus our food tasted of Duraglit.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 08:13 PM

Salt and tin foil in hot water works wonders for cleaning silverware.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
We got a canteen of silver cutler as a wedding present thirty-seven years ago. Apart from checking it out, the box has never been opened or the cutlery used. The cutlery is posher than I am.
I got one too I have never used it .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 08:23 PM

I am still using everyday my grandmothers knives .
They came from Mapin and Webb and must be nearly a hundred years old .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2021, 11:33 PM

Not any more, got fed up cleaning the darn things, so I sold it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 03:31 AM

Many decades ago (actually it was half a century ago)my mother bought my then wife and I a canteen of cutlery, I forget who it was made by but it included things like fish knives (I mean, really?), coffee spoons, soup spoons and all sort of unnecessary items. As someone else said definitely posher than me.

We did use it and it slowly disappeared over the years, I think there might still be remnants of it in a drawer somewhere along with those bone handled knives that used to be so common in the 50s and earlier.

A decade or so ago I bought Chinese made stainless steel knives, forks and spoons sold individually from Flemington market and am still using them today.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 07:49 AM

I have one....it was my mother in laws we got it left to us...actually the box is nicer than the cutlery but it just sits in a cupboard.....well in a packing case right now.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 08:54 AM

Many people had a 'canteen of cutlery' for a wedding present.
I didn't have 'a wedding' I just got married in my lunch hour so failed to receive any wedding presents including the obligatory canteen and I have an odd assortment of cutlery

My sister had 2 'canteens' and only gets them out on special occasions, such a waste.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Many decades ago (actually it was half a century ago)my mother bought my then wife and I a canteen of cutlery, I forget who it was made by but it included things like fish knives (I mean, really?), coffee spoons, soup spoons and all sort of unnecessary items. As someone else said definitely posher than me.

We did use it and it slowly disappeared over the years, I think there might still be remnants of it in a drawer somewhere along with those bone handled knives that used to be so common in the 50s and earlier.

A decade or so ago I bought Chinese made stainless steel knives, forks and spoons sold individually from Flemington market and am still using them today.
Actually we have four fish eaters (fish knives and forks) in with the everyday cutlery that we use when we have whole wet fish, especially flat fish. They really do make eating fish easier being flatter, especially the forks where the prongs are a little flatter than usual.

We also have soup spoons, desert spoons, as well as a cruet set - all of which are in everyday use.

We're in no way "posh" - it's just the way we live.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top