Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 09:47 PM

Film - Back to Bataan

Have recently been given this film on DVD - war films are not my favourite genre but I thought I would give it a look this evening.

I found it irritating in the extreme. It opens with the liberating of prisoners from a Japanese POW camp somewhere in the Philippines. A camp with a 'look out' high up in a tower who failed to notice 50 or 60 american soldiers sneaking up on him? I don't think so!

I appreciate that in Philippines at that time the americans were the 'good' guys and the Japanese the 'bad' guys - but - whatever else the Japanese may have been - they were not stupid!

Later -enter John Wayne - leading a troop of Philippine guerrillas to do a 'surprise' raid on a Japanese fuel dump. They were moving through the jungle as quietly as a herd of rogue elephants on the rampage. Please!!

The film makers prefaced the film by saying the events portrayed were based on fact - and I do not wish to disrespect the memory of the many who fought and died out there - but - come on film makers - if you are going to do it - do it properly!!

Had to switch off and make a cup of tea.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 09:58 PM

Re: Film - Back to Bataan

I love the scenes where each rifle or pistol fires at least 100 rounds without reloading...and grenades which blow up a tank...
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 10:15 PM

Hollywood’s version of events , the type of films made at the time,
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I love the scenes where each rifle or pistol fires at least 100 rounds without reloading...and grenades which blow up a tank...
Yes and every American soldier wounded, was always shot in the arm, a quick dressing and he was good to go...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top