Join for free
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 10:38 AM

The Lawless Lassie.

A radio discussion the other day got me thinking. It stated that there are more statues to Goats in the UK than everyday women.

The 'Put Her Forward' project, organised by charity The National Trust, aims to double the number of non-mythical and non-royal statues of women in Britain in a year when the country marks the centenary of women winning the vote.

Project organisers said there are currently more statues of goats and people called John than of everyday women, and only about a sixth of Britain's 925 public statues represent women.

I decided to head out to see and photograph a recent statue to the Lawless Lassie

So i will return soon as i have in mind to try for a special photo if chance permits.

Apart from Grace Darling i cant think of any others up here other than royalty.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 11:58 AM

Re: The Lawless Lassie.

For a moment I thought this thread was about a dog.

All the suffragettes made it possible for us woman to get the vote. I bow down to their bravery.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 12:30 PM

Interesting statue and great photo.

What about Lady Godiva, wife of Leofric Earl of the Mercians,who rode on a horse through the streets of Coventry baring her all to free the town of heavy tolls.

Lovely statue in Banbury
braveheart
Edinburgh
braveheart is male  braveheart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 01:05 PM

Very good set and an interesting story.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
For a moment I thought this thread was about a dog.

All the suffragettes made it possible for us woman to get the vote. I bow down to their bravery.
Ditto to everything said which is great cause I’m somewhat lazy.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 09:09 PM

Very interesting and good to see a brave woman honoured.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 09:41 PM

An interesting story Nom, the first of your photos is brilliant - what a lovely setting for the statue too.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 08:45 AM

Thanks everyone, yes she was brave, force fed 49 times unbelievable a real activist for the cause.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top