Join for free
Page 100 of 190 « First < 50 90 98 99 100 101 102 110 150 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 09:59 AM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Walking alongside the river Humber today from St Andrews Quay to Hull on Floydy's patch. Just three miles into Hull and lunch will be taken in the Secret Garden, and then a walk back....Not exactly the 'Pacific Crest Trail' but interesting all the same.

They've put a nice concrete path in now all the way down to the marina, but there are still the remains of the old timber dock, I would have loved to have been here in it's heyday when large ships would have been tied up alongside unloading cargoes from the other side of the world, and then loading up with perhaps fabrics from the mills of Lancashire, or Coal from South Yorkshire and Derbyshire.

A memorial stands near the marina in recognition of all the immigrants who landed here from Europe in an attempt to travel to Liverpool and make the perilous voyage to the 'New World' of America. Much the same is happening now, but to them we are the New World of milk and honey.

Another memorial commemorates the bond between Hull and Iceland, whom we have traded with for over hundreds of years. And also the mutual respect of fishermen who have braved the North Sea in order to feed the nation. When doing this walk I can literally feel the history......

And now in more modern times, Siemens have set up in Hull producing the largest Wind Turbine blades in the world.....
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 10:47 AM

Don't give up on Sheringham, it used to be a smashing little town with a very lively and interesting Lifeboat at the end of the seafront.
My ma-in-law lived there and the children used to love running down the ramp onto the beach.
Not the lifeboat ramp I hasten to add!!!
We liked it loads more than Cromer...
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2017, 11:51 AM

I'd love to do that walk Foxy, it sounds so interesting. Sadly I don't think I could manage much more than a mile these days, and then of course there's the walk back.

Last time we were in Hull we visited the Ferens Art Gallery to see the Sea of Hull video, and discovered a very nice cafe in there, can't remember if they did meals but certainly worth a visit if you fancy a change.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 12:59 AM

Just catching up in here, Bob, and I agree completely about the old timber dock area.
As nice as they've done out Hull's city centre and the fruit market area, the pier side docks and in particular the River Hull as it reaches the town are sadly neglected.

City of Culture does in fact last three years so perhaps they might give those areas a facelift. We shall see.

Do you ever manage a pint or two in the old town, Bob?☺
tomtwodogs
Lynmouth U.K.
tomtwodogs is male  tomtwodogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 06:45 AM

An interesting post O.G.F I never realised there was a path running parallel to Clive Sullivan way, as I drive up there pretty often when I deliver around the Hull area, where does it start by the Humber Bridge or further out ? and yes I have noticed the improvements made to Hull over the last few years, a change from when I used to catch the ferry from Zeebrugge to Hull, back in the 80s . the Nor,wind , or North Star ..if my memory serves ?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Don't give up on Sheringham, it used to be a smashing little town with a very lively and interesting Lifeboat at the end of the seafront.
My ma-in-law lived there and the children used to love running down the ramp onto the beach.
Not the lifeboat ramp I hasten to add!!!
We liked it loads more than Cromer...
Thanks Ruthio, no, I will give Sheringham another chance in December when we visit Norwich again for a longer stay this time. I was impressed with this lovely city. I believe that if you want to see a seaside resort at it's finest, visit in the winter when they are deserted...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

29-07-2017, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
I'd love to do that walk Foxy, it sounds so interesting. Sadly I don't think I could manage much more than a mile these days, and then of course there's the walk back.

Last time we were in Hull we visited the Ferens Art Gallery to see the Sea of Hull video, and discovered a very nice cafe in there, can't remember if they did meals but certainly worth a visit if you fancy a change.
It is a lovely walk Val with so much interest along the way. I would imagine if you wanted to do it you could park in Hull and take the bus to St Andrews Quay where you could just walk the three miles one way. Although St Andrews Quay is a beautiful viewpoint overlooking the river right down to the ferry terminal, worth a visit even if you don't want to do the walk. There is also a Macdonalds for refreshment, but if you don't like Mac's the B&Q has a very reasonable cafe' for a sandwich and cuppa....Among other on-site establishments.

I think we have visited the Art Gallery in the past but a long time ago, we really need to update our visit and seek out the cafe'....Thanks Val.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

29-07-2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Just catching up in here, Bob, and I agree completely about the old timber dock area.
As nice as they've done out Hull's city centre and the fruit market area, the pier side docks and in particular the River Hull as it reaches the town are sadly neglected.

City of Culture does in fact last three years so perhaps they might give those areas a facelift. We shall see.

Do you ever manage a pint or two in the old town, Bob?☺
I'm getting quite attached to Hull Floydy, a very beautiful city with some excellent architecture. Unfortunately I'm always driving when I visit Hull so I tend not to drink while I'm there, a cup of tea usually does me these days...
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 10:01 AM

There's a smashing place in Hull's old town, called The Sailmakers. We've been there on a Sunday in winter waiting for the Streetlife Museum to open, and they have an Open Mic, lots of amateur musicians performing. Drinking in the day puts me to sleep, but their home-made soup is worth visiting for.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

29-07-2017, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by tomtwodogs ->
An interesting post O.G.F I never realised there was a path running parallel to Clive Sullivan way, as I drive up there pretty often when I deliver around the Hull area, where does it start by the Humber Bridge or further out ? and yes I have noticed the improvements made to Hull over the last few years, a change from when I used to catch the ferry from Zeebrugge to Hull, back in the 80s . the Nor,wind , or North Star ..if my memory serves ?
Since I retired a few years ago I have done quite a lot of walking around Hull Tom, and I discovered that several long distance footpaths originate from either Hull or the Humber Bridge. The 79 miles of the Yorkshire Wolds Way starts at the ferry terminal in Hull and goes all the way, past the Humber Bridge to North Ferriby, where it leaves the side of the river and goes west inland, eventually arriving at Filey on the East Coast.

I've walked several sections of this walk from the Hull end to Godmanham near Market Weighton, but never completed the full walk.....One for the 'bucket list'....
The Beverley Twenty starts at the Humber Bridge and takes much the same route as the Wolds Way, this I have done, and I posted a report somewhere in the archives of Bob's Bits.

For shorter excursions, there is a very nice path from the Humber Bridge, by the side of the Clive Sullivan Way and all the way into Hull, I would imagine it to be around six to eight miles.

Page 100 of 190 « First < 50 90 98 99 100 101 102 110 150 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top