Join for free
Page 149 of 370 « First < 49 99 139 147 148 149 150 151 159 199 249 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2018, 10:06 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Hello Mups, and good morning...

It will be twelve weeks tomorrow since that unfortunate morning, and it's been the worst injury I've had in my forty years of running. Not the most painful, or even the most life threatening, but just so chronic and restrictive. I'm never free of the persistent ache, and determined to do the best I can to carry on despite the fact that next morning when I rise it will be the same old twinge that occurs every time I try to bend.

We ought to start a Piriformis sufferers club Mups, where we can all sit (or kneel) around and drink tea and discuss the best way to relieve the pains....
Up to now, the only way to get any relief is to do nothing, not even stand for long periods of time, but with a fierce Mrs Fox chomping at my heals wanting her new kitchen completed, it looks like I'll have to resort to 'Kick Ass Kevin' to try and sort out me back....I'll keep you posted on progress.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2018, 10:31 AM

I am in awe of your poetic prowess Surfermom, and look forward to the next few verses, I might even suggest a few myself after visiting 'Kevin the Terrible'....

Ever since running got serious all those years ago and I decided to run every other day (or as near as dammit with an odd numbered week! who thought that one up then?) And as sure as night follows day, nothing has ever got in the way of running - except injury and natural disaster - Nowadays, family and friends all know not to plan anything on a Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday, or if they do, I'll be along later after a run, shower and breakfast....

I can see where you are coming from with the relaxing technique Surfermom, but I believe that the Piriformis Muscle is an involuntary one, along with several others in the lower back. This has always been the problem with people and bad backs...Muscles tensing and knotting up, not to mention Scar Tissue (so I won't) usually following injury or trauma. So Kevin might just be my saviour.....

Lifting and moving aside Surfermom, inactivity has bestowed a rather large hump at the front, much poked fun at by Spouse and daughter, they giggle and make fun of me, but I will have the last laugh once I am back on the road again stomping out the miles....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

02-05-2018, 10:38 AM

Absolutely Floydy, if there is one thing I have learned over my years of running it's not to sit and wonder, but go out and keep mobile in whatever way you can. I was once off work with a bad cold, Tuesday (a run day) came round and I reluctantly left my sick bed, pulled on my running kit, and jogged off into the morning. Had my boss seen me out running I am sure I would have been handed my P45.

I actually broke my personal course record that morning, and it changed my whole perspective on life and exercise. The human body is a marvellous thing, and providing you allow it the time to adjust, it will do virtually anything.....

Although it is being tested recently....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 04:22 AM

A late check in tonight. No, I have not been robbing banks, hanging around in nightclubs or spending the day on Facebook (dead account ). I decided to start a painting and had it all but completed until I decided to move the easel and smeared it. I would have liked to use a bad word or two, but with an adult child in the house, I have to behave myself. Hopefully it is a quick fix tomorrow because...the surf is up! Yes!

Oh, OGF, you should see the snickering and teasing I get when I get frustrated with my weight. While my children like it very much that I am healthy, they would much prefer that I take on a matronly figure and have as much as said so...I think we can all guess why . Anyway, he has also said that I only have "ten good years left," in which he has to worry.

Anyone want a twenty-year-old to adopt?

So, with the clock ticking down, I ignored both of them and put in another 5.5. I would and should have run longer, but playing errand scavenger hunt that had me driving all over the county, the more tedious aspects of life got in the way.

Why is it that many of our aches and pains abate when we are working out? Is it that we are ignoring the pain, loosening up, or is it a primitive function of the brain that senses we are fleeing and shuts down the signals?

I don't know, but it sure felt good to be breathing the salt air, feeling the sun on my shoulders and having my feet do exactly as instructed, which is bad news for my son .

Glad all is well with your sister Floydy, and that both the coffee and the conversation flowed.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

03-05-2018, 10:20 AM

It could be the 'Endorphins' Surfermom, anyway whatever they are they must have abandoned me on this mornings five miler. It was like running the last five miles of my worst marathon. Only the bright sunshine warm on my body and the peacefulness of the country coaxed me to carry on and stick it out until the end.
I collapsed against the wall and felt like a sixty seven year old who had two Heart Attacks after my run.......Wait a minute......

I'm just finishing my breakfast thinking....'Kevin's going to have his work cut out this morning'.........Catch you later.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

03-05-2018, 12:46 PM

It's confirmed!......Piriformis Muscle...
Kevin's just stuck a few pins in me bum, buried his fingers up to his knuckles, into my buttocks and collected thirty quid out of my wallet while he was down there.....But do you know what? It sure feels a lot better......
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 02:41 PM

Yay! You did it, OGF!

It sounds like the session is already worth it! I expect it will take a while and may be temporary but at least you have an option for treatment when it's so bad that even you aren't lacing up.

But you mentioned "pins"...acupuncture or a shot? Do you feel like he was able to get the muscle to release? It's a deep little muscle, so I know treatment isn't easy. I am thrilled that you feel better and hope it lasts. Keep us posted.

I have no idea why I am busier this time of year than in the winter when nothing is going on, but I have more irons in the fire than a blacksmith on Monday so running will have to wait until late.

The installation of a new crown is first, though we definitely aren't talking royalty here. It's a heck of a lot more than thirty quid, and afterwards my backside won't feel nearly as good
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 09:14 PM

Hi gang, sorry for my absence. Work, getting up to date with the albums, home stuff to attend to and also back at the gym today - which went fantastically well. tell you soon about that....

Bob
, I knew it was the correct decision to make. I've had physio many times before when I was bodybuilding as it was so easy to overdo things then to keep up with the training and I was frequently damaging ligaments. Mainly in my lower back but also in the shoulders. Touch wood though, my legs were always sound - it's only recently that the knees have given way. Old age!

But yes, you made that step bud, and these physios know their stuff. You may not be cured forever, but they can pinpoint an exact location so well and I'm sure your pilformis muscle will behave itself for the time being at least. Good on yer mate

Surfermom
, still packing in them 5.5 milers I see. Keep it going

Me, I've been back at it...
This is almost a re-rum of last Saturday’s write-up, for what’s it‘s worth anyway. A double session. It’s a little complicated: Wednesday’s second reps session was today after tomorrow’s heavy strength session. It’s the only way it would fit in. To further complicate matters, I’ll probably add an extra session tomorrow just for the arms which now need to get stronger for any further strength training.

It was different when I was on bodybuilding forums, there were like-minded sado-masochists who would trade techniques and offer advice and comments. Here I’m all alone in my, er, hobby. But not to worry, we all do different forms of exercise and I’ll plough on with another write-up. I’ll put the whole thing in one list as it’s easier that way, but you’ll get the idea and be able to differentiate between the heavier workout and the ‘reps’ session:

Thursday, 3 May 18: Upper body: Strength/reps training (“2-in1”):

DB press:
8x26, 8x26, 5x28, 5x28
*I’ll hit the 30kg dumbbells next time, hopefully as early as tomorrow.

Smith flat bench press:
5x60, 5x65, 5x70, 3x75

Lat pulldown, hammer bar:
12x50, 8x60, 5x70, 5x80

Barbell standing bicep curls:
8x35, 8x35, 8x35, 5x40
*Heaviest I’ve gone on that last set, standing.

E-Z preacher curls, close grip:
12x33, 8x43, 5x48, 5x53, 2x58
25x23 high reps
*I can’t believe how the strength is rocketing up in the biceps right now. Starting at the 33kg weight was pifflingly easy today. Very strange how things can turn around. The guns are looking crazy right now!

Single DB press (i.e. lying on bench, one heavy dumbbell with two hands, pushing upwards):
34x50, 23x50, 18x50

Tricep extensions:
12x50, 12x60, 8x70

Bicep machine curls:
12x40, 8x45, 5x50

Tricep pumps:
70x15

Bicep pumps:
50x10
*Love those two final exercises of the first half. Stack machine, straight bar, pulling up or pushing down as fast as possible for a maximum amount of reps. Really gets the blood pumping through those arms!

Chest press:
25x40, 25x40, 15x40

Pec dec:
20x35, 20x35, 15x45

Fly dec:
25x65, 25x65, 20x72.5

E-Z preacher curl, wide grip:
20x23, 20x23, 15x28

Tricep pumps:
50x20

Bicep pumps:
40x15
*Both the above done for the second time today but with increased weight and reduced reps.

Sled press:
100x100
*Quick tone-up for the quads, calves and butt!

Ab crunch:
50x35

1hr. 50 mins.

There we go, the second week of my new routine.
I’m actually feeling very fit and strong right now. My holiday is in a month’s time and I think be looking quite okay, long as I keep the belly down!
I’m more energetic at work too, my knees holding out as well with the pace of things. More training tomorrow.

Thanks for reading.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

03-05-2018, 10:29 PM

Good to see you back Floydy, and with another eye watering session. You're right about the physio, the body can only do so much healing by itself and sometimes needs a helping hand from a professional and Kevin seem to know his stuff....

It was acupuncture Surfermom, just two needles in the buttock....Ouch....
Actually it was pain free, I never felt a thing. Although he put his finger straight on to my painful Piriformis and said he could feel the tightness immediately, I certainly could feel the pressure (and that really was Ouch!) but in a strange kind of masochistic way it felt good.....

For the next couple of hours it felt brilliant, but as evening descended it started to stiffen up. He said it would take a few days to settle down and that is the reason why I booked a session with him on a Thursday. I can have a couple of days off running until Sunday then take it for a spin over my six miler. He believes it will take at least one more session, so I'll be back next week for round two....

I've just installed one of those wildlife cameras to monitor the drive, mainly to keep an eye on Maddie the cat and her friends. I've been extremely pleased with the quality and I've already captured some unlikely visitors, here's a candid shot of a knackered runner returning from a tough five.....

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2018, 10:47 PM

Woo-Hoo, nice legs.

Foxy, glad to hear your man was able to help, even if it only gave you a short respite. At least he confirmed it was the muscle, and nothing more serious.

Hopefully after another session or two, you will be over the worst.

Did he say what causes it in the first place, then perhaps we will know what to avoid?
If he didn't say, do you think you could ask him please foxy?

Page 149 of 370 « First < 49 99 139 147 148 149 150 151 159 199 249 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top