Join for free
Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 11:20 AM

Re: Cheap Microsoft office?

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Don't understand that either.

I'm now looking at the theory that the cheepo versions can only be activated once!

If so, they're done for if you change machines, etc.
Is this another tactic by the greedy Microsoft organisation, I wonder?

My recommendation would be to download and install the free Libre Office. You can save documents in Word format if you want.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 05:14 PM

Further to all that, the laptop which is failing, shows the Update 1803 on the 13th & 15th May.

After these two automatic updates, the Outlook Pro Plus on that machine showed that activation failed & left the PC Outlook App usable for a month.

After backing out this update everything is back to normal and Outlook 2016 pro plus is back to being installed & activated.

I'll watch tonight & see if it does it again - if it does I'll have to call the activation telephone line and request activation there.

My Main PC has also activated with none of these problems.
The other version of Pro Plus on there is fine.

That makes it look like one or other of the codes I bought is not liked at activation time although they have been working for some months since installation..

A quick look at Amazon & EBay shows that there are very few of these on there, at the moment, so I think that something is happening at Microsoft.

Anyone worried about Office 2016 being hit this way might want to make sure that they have a restore point set up (via Privazer?) which might be the quickest way back.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 05:34 PM

Anyone worried about Office 2016 being hit this way might want to make sure that they have a restore point set up (via Privazer?) which might be the quickest way back.
Sound advice .....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2018, 10:31 AM

Further to my previous, I'm confident that I can rule out the big update as the cause of the problem. But I'm still doing tests.

My guess is that the seller of the Office Pro Plus 2016 package listed the thing wrongly.

He said in his Amazon selling package "Your Licence key is valid for the lifetime of that PC. There are no time restrictions!."

Very interesting that this software was installed in Mid May, 2017, and ceased to be activated pretty much 1 full year, to the day, Mid May 2018.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 11:20 AM

I may have encountered "shutdown" this morning .....

I had booted up my PC and started loading some apps when my PC "froze" .....

I powered down and up then checked Task Manager .....

Microsoft Office Click to Run was "hogging" the machine. Apparently:

Click-to-Run is an alternative to the traditional Windows Installer-based (MSI) method of installing and updating Office.
So I let it continue, thinking an update was in progress, but since then I cannot access either Office apps or Office documents .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2018, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

Microsoft Office Click to Run was "hogging" the machine. Apparently:

So I let it continue, thinking an update was in progress, but since then I cannot access either Office apps or Office documents .....
They keep assuring us how important it is to allow Windows Update (or other MS equivalents) to run, as this will ensure our computers perform to the best possible level.

I can honestly say that I have never noticed any improvements. On the other hand, I have seen (usually minor) problems as a result.

Unfortunately, try as I might, I cannot fully disable 'updates'.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

01-06-2018, 02:21 PM

I have a project in hand so I can't be bothered with fussing over Office 16. Instead, I've downloaded Libre and carried on working.

I'll probably uninstall Office 16 later .....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

01-06-2018, 07:37 PM

I have a project in hand so I can't be bothered with fussing over Office 16. Instead, I've downloaded Libre and carried on working.

I'll probably uninstall Office 16 later .....
I finally got this one back by activating with a new key.

Pound for pound another year, for a tenner, is cheaper than paying a monthly fee for a 365 version.

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

01-06-2018, 08:02 PM

I finally got this one back by activating with a new key.

Pound for pound another year, for a tenner, is cheaper than paying a monthly fee for a 365 version.

I think I'll stick with Libre - MS Office 2016 has wasted a lot of my time .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

03-06-2018, 01:17 PM

Microsoft Office Click to Run was "hogging" the machine.

While waiting for something else, I just clicked on "Word" and Office started loading the application - I had to enter my key, username and password and now it seems that I have Office access again .....

AFAIK, I've done nothing to initiate a recovery, so maybe the fault was elsewhere than on my PC .....

Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top