Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 12:53 PM

Tap washer replacement

Our kitchen tap just started to drip and getting annoying so decided to see if i could sort the problem. it is one of those mixer tap tops that move from side to side so it can be used in either adjoining sinks.

Now me and water definately don't like each other so I tend to avoid doing anything like this.
Anyway with the very small bit of knowledge I do have I know that the pipes under the worktops have screws to turn the water off.

I did have a variety of washers that I thought might fit and screwdrivers and socket set

So I had a go
first turned on one tap then turned the screw on the feed pipe. yes that stopped the water. So far so good.

Next eased of the knob finish end which showed blue for cold and red for hot. So far so good.

OK now looking inside the barrel and large nut needed undoing so undid that and the unit inside came out.

I notices a small rubber type "0" ring and yes i had that size in the kit I had purchased some time ago.
So off with the old "0" ring and on with the new

Then just a reverse of undoing it and test, yep no leeks so far from anywhere.

next was to do the same on the other side and test. Again it seems all the dripping has stopped so I am quite pleased with myself and saved the cost of getting a plumber in

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 01:22 PM

Re: Tap washer replacement

I'm surprised it was the washer type Realspeed, I was expecting a quarter turn ceramic cartridge inside.....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'm surprised it was the washer type Realspeed, I was expecting a quarter turn ceramic cartridge inside.....
Yes, me too.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 01:50 PM

As I said I am an absolute numpty with anything to do with water.

All I know is replacing the "0" rings seems to have done the trick. All I can think is the old ones had perished somewhat over the 20/30 years, so as to not allow the tap to be turned off fully
The drips were about 3 or 4 a minute but once something like that starts in can only get worse . That is why I tried out the above
The "o" rings were just below the base of the nut, possible to seal any leaks coming out of the knob end ????

Note my technical knowledge on the subject.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 04:34 PM

I think given time Realspeed it may start leaking again if it was a quarter turn ceramic cartridge, in which case you can still do the repair yourself by purchasing new cartridges. Usually in a pack of two around fifteen quid...From B&Q or any decent plumbing supplier...

Would it be possible to show a photo of the extracted gland Realspeed?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 05:12 PM

If you do ever need to replace the ceramic disc valves realspeed, take one of the knobs with you to the plumbers merchant, if possible along with one of the old valves. There are so many types available.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, me too.
Me too .....

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
If you do ever need to replace the ceramic disc valves realspeed, take one of the knobs with you to the plumbers merchant, if possible along with one of the old valves. There are so many types available.
I gave the RIGHT model/part number and photographs to the supplier for a replacement order and waited 2 weeks for the WRONG part to be supplied - re-ordered (and still waiting) .....

In the meantime, I swapped the hot and cold cartridges ..... and the drip stopped (but I have to turn the "switch" the other way ..... )
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

18-01-2018, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Me too .....

I gave the RIGHT model/part number and photographs to the supplier for a replacement order and waited 2 weeks for the WRONG part to be supplied - re-ordered (and still waiting) .....

In the meantime, I swapped the hot and cold cartridges ..... and the drip stopped (but I have to turn the "switch" the other way ..... )
Hahaha....Yea I did the same Omah, my bathroom sink tap was dripping (well pouring really) so I took out the cartridge and tried several plumbers merchants for a replacement. Not standard they all said, it was a bit smaller. I had a spare standard one, and it just needed a flange grinding down to fit, it was the same thread. Problem was - and I didn't realise until I tried it - it was the cold one and the faulty one was the hot one.....Works wonderful, but it's the wrong way round.....Just takes a bit of getting used to Omah...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

18-01-2018, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Me too .....

several times I have been asked to purposely change them over so that the valve works the other way. Particularly the lever types.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 03:10 PM

An O ring has nothing to do with a tap drips or not.

A O ring is a seal between a tap and its body...if that leaks then you need a new O ring.

With a quarter turn tap that drips then you just had a bit of crap in it or the cermic disc is damaged.because just replacing the O ring would have nothing to do with it dripping.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top