Join for free
Page 5 of 15 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 10:38 PM

Re: Last Gasp Attempt !

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Bottled out, just as I thought you would.
Still waiting for you to construct an original thought
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Still waiting for you to construct an original thought
Get out the survival kit - you'll be waiting a bloody long time.....
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
1. a massive trading zone for business
2. Standardisation of systems (legal, financial, commercial etc) to give business assurance of a level playing field and security of transactions.
3. Reduced transaction costs
4. One organisation negotiating with the rest of the world has far bigger clout to get good deals than a little fish like us.
5. Cooperation on security, scientific research, energy the environment.
6. Freedom to travel across the EU without having to queue up at every border. Free phone roaming since last year.
7. The ability to go and retire in any EU country without losing out on healthcare etc.
8 cheap and plentiful fruit, veg and other foods.
9. Cheap and plentiful labour for our manufacturers (who incidentally cannot recruit decent workers here for some reason_
10. Clout as a trading block in an increasingly global market.

I was watching a webinair today on Agile finance today and one of the big issues of the day is "economic nationalism" an interesting term I'd never heard before. The view of the presenter was that this is just a blip which will not reverse the relentless pace of globalisation.

So Brexit is just a symptom of a recent trend in "economic nationalism" - a pathetic attempt to cling to a nostalgic past that has long disappeared. It's just a block to progress and it's like Canute trying to stop the waves.
You've made an economic case for big business but not for the individual citizen.
Having free roaming charges for the two week annual holiday is a bit fatuous as a reason to stay in the EU as is where you choose to spend yur last few years of life.

There is no evidence the UK 'NEEDS' the EU to trade with the world........Most of the world ISN'T in the EU and do just dandy.

Brexit was never about the past and always about the future .......but you keep telling yourself otherwise because I can see you're struggling with such simple concepts!!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2018, 04:53 AM

You asked for positives, this was a list off the top of my head. There's obviously a lot more to it when you get into the financial value to every individual of Britain being in a trading block vs the costs of going alone. The countries in the block have worked this out and that's why Norway and Switzerland have quasi-EU status.

In terms of business it's actually of just as much benefit to a small business to have certainty of transactions and a strong legal framework. Perhaps more so. Some businesses will make money from us being out. But these are not businesses that add real value or benefit ordinary citizens. Geographical proximity to a large business and consumer base is a massive advantage to trading organisations.

Most of the world moves within some sort of trading block or are working towards accord. It's more efficient and economically beneficial. Just makes everything much harder to go off and do your own thing. Not just for business but for the ordinary citizens who then have to pay more or deal with other consequences of deals. Countries going it alone may seem dandy but they struggle with all the same issues and have to accept agreements as a lesser party. Unless you are the US or China that's the way it is.

For some Brexit is about past nostalgia of simpler times. The "blue passport" brigade. I think of this as a yearning for the Shires of Middle Earth. I've yet to see you explain how the brexit future is going to work and the positives of that. I can only see benefits if we stay in a loose agreement with the EU where we have all the trading advantages without having to further integrate. So Norway or Switzerland.

Some of the comments on here make it sound like the EU will not be a part of our future, but that's just plain stupid. It's our biggest trading partner and we have to get over that fact and stop living in denial of the global pace of change. Globalisation will push us towards the EU whether we like it or not. Capitalism may not work for all but there are no thoughts of suddenly replacing it without a major world catastrophe (global war, invasion of aliens, [insert conspiracy theory of your choice])
Moscow
Scotland

18-05-2018, 06:59 AM

You asked for positives, this was a list off the top of my head. There's obviously a lot more to it when you get into the financial value to every individual of Britain being in a trading block vs the costs of going alone. The countries in the block have worked this out and that's why Norway and Switzerland have quasi-EU status.

In terms of business it's actually of just as much benefit to a small business to have certainty of transactions and a strong legal framework. Perhaps more so. Some businesses will make money from us being out. But these are not businesses that add real value or benefit ordinary citizens. Geographical proximity to a large business and consumer base is a massive advantage to trading organisations.

Most of the world moves within some sort of trading block or are working towards accord. It's more efficient and economically beneficial. Just makes everything much harder to go off and do your own thing. Not just for business but for the ordinary citizens who then have to pay more or deal with other consequences of deals. Countries going it alone may seem dandy but they struggle with all the same issues and have to accept agreements as a lesser party. Unless you are the US or China that's the way it is.

For some Brexit is about past nostalgia of simpler times. The "blue passport" brigade. I think of this as a yearning for the Shires of Middle Earth. I've yet to see you explain how the brexit future is going to work and the positives of that. I can only see benefits if we stay in a loose agreement with the EU where we have all the trading advantages without having to further integrate. So Norway or Switzerland.

Some of the comments on here make it sound like the EU will not be a part of our future, but that's just plain stupid. It's our biggest trading partner and we have to get over that fact and stop living in denial of the global pace of change. Globalisation will push us towards the EU whether we like it or not. Capitalism may not work for all but there are no thoughts of suddenly replacing it without a major world catastrophe (global war, invasion of aliens, [insert conspiracy theory of your choice])
Sorry Annie, but a lot of what you just posted is off the top of your head and has no factual basis, especially when you intimate that businesses will struggle to do business with Europe post Brexit and only low value businesses that don't benefit people is a statement that needs qualifying

Business will be different......but businesses will adapt. The legal framework within the UK and between the UK and Europe will be perfectly robust and secure. You have no reason to suggest otherwise.

Your explanation re: Blue passports is not a picture I recognise. That is just you expounding your prejudices.

I don't recognise your assertion that some people don't think we will have dealings with the EU post Brexit. I don't get that impression at all.

We will trade with Europe just as much as we do now..

Brexit is about the nature of that post Brexit relationship and you and your Remainer wrecking crew need to stop cutting off your noses too spite your faces and support the UK in getting the best deal practicable.

Your comments about capitalism is you going off on a tangent that isn't relevant to our membership or otherwise of the EU......I do wonder about how your mind works, Annie.......I really do!

The nonsense you fill your head with, honestly!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2018, 07:27 AM

Hi

We needed to leave the EU because we where being run over, taken for mugs.

Contrary to popular belief on here, your Civil Servants did have a plan for leaving.

No triggering of Article 50 until we where ready to leave.

A massive investment in getting the systems in place to leave and then, and only then, pressing the button.

We wold have done so from a position of strength.

There would have been no Transition Deal, no £40 Billion payment to the EU.

We would not have been held to ransom by Ireland.

The boot would have been on the other foot, no Common Travel Area, every Irish Citizen here having to pay Health Insurance.

A toll on every single Irish HGV coming into the UK.

A new law to make Apple and Google pay taxes here, not in Ireland.

A prosecution for all German Car Manufacturers, as Trump has done.

£Billions into our Economy.

Our idiot Politicians chose not to do so.

I will not have your Civil Servants blamed for this complete mess up.

It is entirely down to the Politicians.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2018, 08:38 AM

Hi

As I am going into Hospital, blowing the gaffe.

After the referendum, your Civil Servants asked for £8 Billion to deliver and for Article 50 to be delayed until the Contacts had been signed, six months at the most.

This was turned down point blank by the Brexiteers, Boris leading the charge.

They will give in, said Boris.

No they won't, we cannot threaten no deal until we are ready for it.

Net result, a payment of £40 Billion and no access to Services.

David Davies, Liam Fox and Gove supported him.

They ignored all the advice and we have lost out big time.

I find it amazing that many still trust them to deliver.

We could have got £Billions from the German Car Manufacturers for fiddling the figures.

Trump has, we chose not too.

I simply cannot understand why so many trust them.

I also cannot understand why so many say we can do without, the Dunkirk Spirit.

You are not immune, your Pensions and your quality of life will be affected.

The whole point was to make things better, not worse.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2018, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Sorry Annie, but a lot of what you just posted is off the top of your head and has no factual basis, especially when you intimate that businesses will struggle to do business with Europe post Brexit and only low value businesses that don't benefit people is a statement that needs qualifying

Business will be different......but businesses will adapt. The legal framework within the UK and between the UK and Europe will be perfectly robust and secure. You have no reason to suggest otherwise.

Your explanation re: Blue passports is not a picture I recognise. That is just you expounding your prejudices.

I don't recognise your assertion that some people don't think we will have dealings with the EU post Brexit. I don't get that impression at all.

We will trade with Europe just as much as we do now..

Brexit is about the nature of that post Brexit relationship and you and your Remainer wrecking crew need to stop cutting off your noses too spite your faces and support the UK in getting the best deal practicable.

Your comments about capitalism is you going off on a tangent that isn't relevant to our membership or otherwise of the EU......I do wonder about how your mind works, Annie.......I really do!

The nonsense you fill your head with, honestly!
Your entire post is lacking in any analysis of the way our relationship with the EU currently works and how magically that will transform post-brexit into something that doesn't wreck business transactions without a deal where we are either in the customs union or the single market.

It's extremist brexiters who want to leave without a deal that are ruining the entire process.

Capitalism and globalism are very relevant to Brexit. Global capitalism does not give a good deal to small fish going around with a cap in hand. All I see in this process is waste. Nobody seems overly concerned that we currently have zero growth as it is.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-05-2018, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
I also cannot understand why so many say we can do without, the Dunkirk Spirit.

You are not immune, your Pensions and your quality of life will be affected.

The whole point was to make things better, not worse.

That's exactly what I was talking about, the "blue passports" brigade talking about WWII and "pulling together" while our politicians are leading us over the cliff edge.

Some of us live in the real world and can see that there is nothing being organised properly and we are heading for a really bad deal and all sorts of risks to services we currently take for granted because we have no idea how they are made to happen. I'm talking about utilities, healthcare, infrastructure.

Our complex societies rely on global cooperation most people don't even think about. Food, water, shops on the street, access to healthcare - these are luxuries in some countries of the world.
Moscow
Scotland

18-05-2018, 05:53 PM

That's exactly what I was talking about, the "blue passports" brigade talking about WWII and "pulling together" while our politicians are leading us over the cliff edge.

Some of us live in the real world and can see that there is nothing being organised properly and we are heading for a really bad deal and all sorts of risks to services we currently take for granted because we have no idea how they are made to happen. I'm talking about utilities, healthcare, infrastructure.

Our complex societies rely on global cooperation most people don't even think about. Food, water, shops on the street, access to healthcare - these are luxuries in some countries of the world.
Sorry Annie......you really are missing the point....

This much vaunted 'Global Co-operation'is total bullshit.
It does not benefit the common man but definitely stacks up well for the profit margins of big business which funnels vast wealth in to the hands of the very few.

Career politicians and a few others do quite nicely also.

Most people not so well.

Why do you want to continue such an unfair system?

You're obsessed with Blue Passports .....Most people who voted Brexit have never seen one ( Myself included and I'm in my mid 50's!!)and have no idea what that means.

Page 5 of 15 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top