Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 01:35 PM

Painting a ceramic horse.

I dont have very many treasured possessions but I do have my ceramic horsemen. They are probably common as muck and not worth anything but they are special to me.

Today I went into a charity shop and saw a similar large horse ornament which is not really as nice as my original two, the detail is not as good. The other problem is that it has been painted a uniform colour. Bright Green.

If I find I cannot live with this colour would it be possible to paint the horse. What paints would I have to use. Can you paint over the existing paint or would I have to do something before I could paint colours over the top.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 01:49 PM

Re: Painting a ceramic horse.

You can paint over. Ceramic paint is expensive.
Here is a link to help.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pa...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 08:06 PM

Sorry should have done this before so you can see what I mean.

The one I bought today and may want to paint

The two Ive already got already which I really like

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 08:16 PM

I was going to say I liked the green MC until I saw what you have created with the other two. I like them a lot. Personally, whatever paint I used, I would probably give it a light sanding first but don't take my word for it.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 08:17 PM

Was the link no help MC????
Mondays child
United Kingdom

04-06-2018, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I was going to say I liked the green MC until I saw what you have created with the other two. I like them a lot. Personally, whatever paint I used, I would probably give it a light sanding first but don't take my word for it.
Sorry Longdogs. I am not explaining myself very well. I didnt paint the two original horsemen. I just fell in love with them when I saw them going cheap as one of the horses has a piece chipped off his ear. I wish I could paint as well as that. The green is starting to grow on me a little though every time I look at it.

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Was the link no help MC????
Sorry Sweetie Pie when I looked at the link it looked more like advice for painting something unpainted. I was not sure if I painted over the green whether it would take. I hadnt thought you could sand down ceramic paint but I suppose maybe I could lightly sand it down gently before painting. Thank you for the link anyway.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:15 PM

MC, it should be very much like painting over a tile

First you need an abrasive tile cleaner then a fine sand paper to take that top shine off, then an oil based primer followed by oil based paint

The green horse is really quite nice with the 2nd or 3rd look
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:42 PM

Hi

This stuff is great

https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/prod...-surface-prep/

As it is a liquid it gets into every nook and cranny.

I use it when I am restoring ornate furniture, balustrades and picture frames etc.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2018, 09:48 PM

I have some horses like this but they are green bronze. .
I have not seen them for 20 years they are packed away .
They came from the Bronze factory in Hong Kong and are copies of museum pieces .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2018, 01:49 PM

I still like the green. Personally, if I collect things I like to have variations on a theme if you know what I mean.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top