Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 07:38 PM

1975 referendum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36367246

The original vote was do we go in or stay outside the EU. This was so badly mismanaged by the government who were determined to go in come what may
I seem to remember the vote went 3 ways, 1/3 to go in-1/3 to stay out and a remainder undecided.

Due to the government wanting to join they decided those undecided were in favour of joining.

If they had left it to those who actually voted we would have stayed out
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 08:16 PM

Re: 1975 referendum

And we foolishly let Heath and Co get away with it. The Tories obviously got wind of how the voting was going and it resulted in what was tantamount to a fraudulant referendum result.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 08:25 PM

Think we joined the Common Market with out a vote and then had a vote asking should we stay in.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
The original vote was do we go in or stay outside the EU.
I'm afraid you are mistaken Realspeed. Know your history, it's important.

Ted Heath took the UK into the EU via stealth and without any public consultation. They knew at the time that the UK public would vote AGAINST going into the EU.

So they did it anyway without asking, and then set about managing the public perception.

When they deemed the time was right Harold Wilson offered the referendum which asked the question:

"Do you think the United Kingdom should stay in the European Community (the Common Market)?"

So the UK was already IN the EU at that point and the decision given to people was whether they wanted to stay in.

Unfortunately it was presented (fraudulently) as being nothing more than entry into the Common Market, nothing more than a good trade deal that everyone would benefit from.

The truth was that this was the first step by the Common Purpose / Freemasonic collective to sell Britain's sovereignty down the river and transfer control of the country to a foreign power.

The various subsequent treaties then provided the contractual clauses which underpinned that transfer of power.

HM The Queen SHOULD have stepped in at that point and refused to give Royal Assent to the treaties because she swore an oath at her Coronation to protect the country from just that eventuality. She failed in her duties and therefore has no place in British society any more imho.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 08:38 PM

I stand corrected. As I said I was working from memory
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 09:37 PM

It seemed like a good idea at the time (or not!), we joined, it evolved and grew, Britain were major players, wrote the treaties and signed the treaties. Forty years on, and it seems to most like a good idea to quit. It's impossible to say if we would now be better or worse off if we had not joined in the first place.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2018, 10:04 PM

I'll say it again: I was fully in favour of the EEC (the Common Market) as purely a free trade organisation, and would still vote to be a member.

Unfortunately, it gradually evolved into the EU (the European Union); a political organisation concerned with making and applying laws (supposedly for the common good) to all countries under their aegis and, at the same time, charge lots of money for the privilege.

The changes made in converting the EEC to the EU were done without any referenda or consultations involving the ordinary man in the street (and women as well, of course - phew! nearly dropped myself in it there!).

This was done by - once again - our corrupt, self-serving politicians.

And they're still at it: doing their best to prevent our democratically arrived-at referendum result from being accepted and put in place.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top