Join for free
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 09:27 PM

War Memorabilia

Dad was in the RAF, and shot down in '42. Sent to Stalag 3, 6, and 357.
Amongst the stuff I have are his medals, the telegram saying he was 'missing from operations', a pile of letters to his parents over a 3yr period from the camps, plus the caterpillar badge.

The letters give an insight into people in the camp, things they do, asking for various things to be sent, the weather, making an old field into an ice skating area, how they made things ie clothing, maps etc... books he asked for, exams he took while there etc etc
Also some pictures of Stalag 6 performing a play/farce.

I know some sell it, but I couldn't do that, so will leave it all for my daughter.
Have you got anything? Will you be handing it down through the family?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 10:11 PM

Re: War Memorabilia

My Father's medals etc went to my Brother. He's still got them.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2018, 10:16 PM

My dad's and grandad's medals went to my brother and he either flogged them or threw them away. He wasn't interested in stuff like that or interested in anyone else who was. I'm still peeved about that to this day.

I remember seeing them when I was about 12 . Some were really old but my favourite was my dad's Burma Star.

A little oddity: Both my grandad and great-grandad were in the army in WW2. My g-grandad (Reserve Brigade) was put on report for not looking after the horses properly .. and later put on the sick list because a wagon wheel rolled back over his foot ... doubtless the same horse getting revenge.

My grandfather's war record says ... Discharged 5.11.14. Not being likely to become an efficient soldier.

Hey! He survived the war ...I think he did well.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Dad was in the RAF, and shot down in '42. Sent to Stalag 3, 6, and 357.
Amongst the stuff I have are his medals, the telegram saying he was 'missing from operations', a pile of letters to his parents over a 3yr period from the camps, plus the caterpillar badge.

The letters give an insight into people in the camp, things they do, asking for various things to be sent, the weather, making an old field into an ice skating area, how they made things ie clothing, maps etc... books he asked for, exams he took while there etc etc
Also some pictures of Stalag 6 performing a play/farce.

I know some sell it, but I couldn't do that, so will leave it all for my daughter.
Have you got anything? Will you be handing it down through the family?
How about donating to your local history museum or the Imperial War Museum???
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 12:34 PM

I, as his eldest son, have my dad's war medals.

War Medal, Defence Medal, 1939-45 Star, Africa Star, Italy Star, France and Germany Star. He used to joke about having letters after his name: AS, IS, FGS.
No VC or even a DSO, sadly!

What to do with them when I am no more? I'd pass them on to my brother, though it's a fair bet that he'll be gone before me, or my sister. Then, hopefully, to her son (as neither I nor my brother have any kids).

It would be nice if such things were passed down in families. Although they're not worth anything, it is a good thing to keep them for as long as possible. The more generations they survive, the more historically interesting they become.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 01:56 PM

I have a tiny cameo brooch made from sea shell, wood and pleated strips of tin can made by a wounded French soldier in captivity and given to a nurse relative

Worth very little except knowing that he had the time and paience to make it so he could give it to her as a thank you
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 02:01 PM

We had plenty of War Memorabilia in my childhood home, as 13 Germans occupied it during WW2.

One of the German soldiers was an artist, on our back landing we had a number of framed pictures he had created. They were cartoons of people dominating island politics during the war. They were probably worth a bob or two, but my siblings and I donated them to the museum after our parents had died.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 07:43 PM

[QUOTE=Morticia;1512721]My dad's and grandad's medals went to my brother and he either flogged them or threw them away. He wasn't interested in stuff like that or interested in anyone else who was. I'm still peeved about that to this day.

I remember seeing them when I was about 12 . Some were really old but my favourite was my dad's Burma Star.

A little oddity: Both my grandad and great-grandad were in the army in WW2. My g-grandad (Reserve Brigade) was put on report for not looking after the horses properly .. and later put on the sick list because a wagon wheel rolled back over his foot ... doubtless the same horse getting revenge.

My grandfather's war record says ... Discharged 5.11.14. Not being likely to become an efficient soldier.

Hey! He survived the war ...I think he did well.[
/QUOTE]

That gave me a chuckle Morty
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

10-09-2018, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
How about donating to your local history museum or the Imperial War Museum???
Nah, they'll have loads shoved in the bowels of the buildings, all gathering dust. I'd rather my daughter have them.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

10-09-2018, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
I have a tiny cameo brooch made from sea shell, wood and pleated strips of tin can made by a wounded French soldier in captivity and given to a nurse relative

Worth very little except knowing that he had the time and paience to make it so he could give it to her as a thank you
What a lovely story solo! A lovely treasure to keep. Things don't have to be of value to be worth something do they?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top