Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2011, 10:31 AM

Tiling newbie

I will soon be taking on the job of some tiling in my kitchen, having never done it before. Any do's or don'ts greatly appreciated!
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2011, 11:28 AM

Re: Tiling newbie

Where in the kitchen are you tiling ?
Floor, Whole wall, or just splashback (i.e. between worksurface and wall cupboards).
As you may appreciate, living in Spain, tiling is an essential, so have done a bit.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2011, 04:50 PM

Splashbacks. Though may do tiling of bathroom walls later too!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2011, 07:08 PM

Hi ORU I have done quite a bit of tiling in the past .This may be obvious but I always start on a wall by finding the central point, make a mark, then center the first tile over the mark so the space on either side is equidistant .

It really isn't difficicult tiling, the worst part is cutting them, some are so hard. The softer ones can be scored on the back then broken by placing the score mark on a matchstick and apply even pressure on both sides. The very hard ones need a proper tile cutter which you can hire.

Make sure you buy a number of extra tiles and and note the code number in case you need even more because the colour can vary batch to batch and even in the same batch. If you have more than one box it is a good idea to shuffle them so you don't get a block of one shade.
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2011, 07:49 AM

You already have a level to work from, the worksurface.

Start with a full tile at the bottom, that way if you have to cut a tile it will be at the top, under the wall cupboards. If the gap is only small don't even bother with a cut tile, it will hardly be seen.

I disagree with Meg here, Start with a full tile at an 'open' end and have the cut in the corner.

When cutting tiles, score the FRONT of the tile, that's cutting through the glaze. Do this with a cheap tile cutter from where you buy the tiles. Place the tile on a solid surface with a matchstick under the score mark, then apply even pressure to both sides of the score. The tile should just 'snap' in two. As Meg says, make sure you have some spares.

Apply the adhesive (tile cement), in the UK you can buy it ready mixed (we have to mix our own here, no such luxury as ready mixed), to the wall using a tiling float. You can buy this from where you buy the tiles, it has one edge and one end 'toothed'. This will give you an even spread of the cement. do an area big enough to lay a few tiles at a time.

Offer the tile to the cement and apply an even, light pressure, don't ram the tile onto the wall. Have a length of 'straight' timber available long enough to spread over about 4 or more tiles, keep offering this across the face of the tiles to make sure they are 'flat'. Nothing worse than having a corner sticking out (or in).

You can buy plastic spacers or use matchsticks, use 2 per tile edge, put then about 10mm from each end that way you should get a nice even gap.

Make sure there is no cement sticking out of the gaps between the tiles.

Grouting; again you can buy ready mixed and follow the instructions on the tin.

There is no benefit in being heavy handed when tiling.

Good luck, I find it quite therapeutic as you can see results quickly.

Please don't be afraid to ask if you want more advice, as this is a very 'potted' version.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

13-07-2011, 10:15 AM

Thanks guys. Will no doubt ask more when I get round to buying the tiles!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2011, 04:13 PM

What a clever person tiling, My tiles are just alright but my work surfaces are awful, will have to get then done.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top