Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 11:17 AM

What to do about the kitchen?

I'm really stuck in a wish for a new modern kitchen and a reluctance to give up the qualities of my existing kitchen. Iv'e gone on like this for ages not able to make a decision The kitchen has joiner built floor to ceiling fitted cupboards and drawers with a large st/steel double drainer sink all the units are made from solid wood with the traditional dovetail joints on drawers.The worktops are solid formica and unmarked.I know I wouldn't get the quality again with anything modern but they need painting again. There is so much paintwork to do that it makes me think a modern kitchen would put an end to that. A kitchen needs so much though unlike any other room in the house. Has anyone else been struggling what to do with their kitchen. Anyone any suggestions on what to do and why as I need some opinions to help me make up my mind
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 04:44 PM

Re: What to do about the kitchen?

I'm the wrong person to comment; I hate remodeling, change and the consequent uproar and disruption; lived with the original kitchen for 46 years till I sold the house and moved here. I never felt the need to keep up with the Jones; I cooked just fine in my antiquated kitchen.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 05:09 PM

Thanks dandysmom for your reply.--It's the same with me the thought of the disruption and no kitchen for weeks doesn't help me to go for a new kitchen. A revamp would be a lot easier to deal with. I may go with my son's advice to just give it a freshen up and spend the money on something else.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 07:22 PM

Rueben, if I were you I would take your Sons advice. My missus had a lovely (to me anyway) real wood kitchen, it was old admittedly but good stuff, she had all the presses and cupboards pulled out to make room for a load of plastic topped rubbish, just to be trendy. The disruption is unreal, plaster dust everywhere, not being able to find things, Men coming in and out of your house all the time, water off, water on, power off etc. chaos everywhere. She is delighted with it now but for how long?. Your kitchen has the very best of stuff and will last a lifetime, think hard before you throw it all out, in a few years time they will all want the old ones back, mark my words.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 07:29 PM

If it aint broke Reuben then don't fix it, and besides, the latest style is aged retro, check out the magazines......
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 07:30 PM

I dont like modern kitchens, I like french kitchens with free standing cupboards and open shelves, I havent got one of course and my kitchen needed doing so we just painted the doors Cream and we can paint the walls any colour we like, I am stuck with a red blind but at least that is bright.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 07:33 PM

Rueben, I would love a kitchen like yours, the dovetail joints you mentioned did it for me. Ours is a new one, fitted a couple of years ago, it's OK I suppose but lacks character like yours will have. Your son has given you some good advice there.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 07:53 PM

One of the doctors in the group I worked for had his kitchen remodeled; it was out of service for about three weeks in midsummer; they had to cook out on the barbecue, eat out or order in. Complete disruption and hub-bub. His disposition wasn't very good to begin with, and he was a horror whilst all this was going on. Your son speaks sense to me .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 08:24 PM

Ruben another here who is not a fan of the modern 'all look the same with granite work tops' kitchens.

I had a new kitchen fitted about 8 yeras ago, I still shudder when I think about the experience

I wish I had gone with my original idea of having floor to ceiling cupboards all down one wall with sliding doors like a plain wall and the rest free standing with a dresser and old refectory table rather in the French style.

The cost of a new kitchen would be thousands, if yours is good quality I would pay to have it revamped, you could have the doors professionaly painted and maybe new work tops.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 08:35 PM

Ruben have you considered something like this..
it is in your area...

http://www.dipnstrip.net/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top