Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 08:48 PM

Re: What to do about the kitchen?

What Meg says is what we did Ruebeninstead of buying all new - It's amazing what a difference changing the worktops, flooring, tiling and putting in some new appliances makes. It may be that you couldn't get better units by buying new ones anyway. Our kitchen was quite old, but the doors are solid limed oak, which is old fashioned now, but I still like it so we decided to just gave everything a facelift. Granite worksops are special and often look good with older stuff. Upgrading the lighting can also work wonders.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 08:51 PM

Thank you all for your helpful advice. I really have been floundering about for ages. My hubby has been suggesting stripping the walls skimming and doing a repaint job. This has pushed me to a make your mind up time decision about a new kitchen or get on with his suggestion as it would be silly to do the walls then talk about gutting the kitchen afterwards. It's a now or never situation and I don't want to make a decision that I may regret. I am not normally so indecisive but there are some good things about my kitchen that couldn't be replaced if it gets ripped out. I've tried to justify to myself that I need a new kitchen but with your help and opinions I can see it could cause more disruption and cost more money than what it is worth. It's so stupid but the kitchen has served me so well that I am now beginning to feel like I would be kicking out an old friend.Perhaps I should live with it, appreciate it and give it a bit of a make over instead. Thanks for putting me straight.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 08:55 PM

It's good to talk things over and get the opinions of others: sometimes it really clarifies things.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Ruben another here who is not a fan of the modern 'all look the same with granite work tops' kitchens.

I had a new kitchen fitted about 8 yeras ago, I still shudder when I think about the experience

I wish I had gone with my original idea of having floor to ceiling cupboards all down one wall with sliding doors like a plain wall and the rest free standing with a dresser and old refectory table rather in the French style.

The cost of a new kitchen would be thousands, if yours is good quality I would pay to have it revamped, you could have the doors professionaly painted and maybe new work tops.
That sounds really nice.........where did you get that idea from? and why did you change your mind.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 01:38 PM

My kitchen is a "modern" one really albeit about 15 years old. I changed the doors about 5 years ago. My thinking now is not broken leave it alone.
Everything works so I think its fine. I change the blinds, curtains, table cloths, and the paper in the dinning section.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kazz ->
That sounds really nice.........where did you get that idea from? and why did you change your mind.
Hi Kazz I got the idea from looking at the shape of my kitchen , it is quite long and lends itself to having a whole wall with one continuous cupboard a bit like a wardrobe with sliding doors.
Inside would just be rows of shelves so you have lots of storage space but can see everything at a glance.

I also got so sick of grovelling around on the floor in the dark recesses of the standard kitchen cupboard looking for things, they are really quite impractical and a devil to keep clean.

Everyone seems to have the same kitchens now, they all look pretty similar . My son has just paid a fortune to have his new kitchen with granite and oak like everyone else.

Why did I change my mind? I got cold feet I guess thought I might regret it . Big mistake, I wish I had gone for it..
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2011, 07:13 PM

This is kitchen change for us this week, we are having new work tops fitted and a new white sink, have a stainless steel one at the moment and dont like it at all.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2011, 07:36 PM

The house I grew up in and the one I lived in for 47 years had white sinks; my apartment here at the retirement complex has a stainless steel one and I just love it!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
This is kitchen change for us this week, we are having new work tops fitted and a new white sink, have a stainless steel one at the moment and dont like it at all.
That sounds great Annie I can remember as a small child being bathed in a huge white quite shallow kitchen sink.

They went out of favour and became troughs for growing flowers, its nice to see them back .

I have a pathetically small stainless steel sink which won't hold the shelves from the oven let alone a small child.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2011, 07:40 AM

Rueben, a kitchen is the most important part of the house to some people so what you need is something that you love.

If you have been happy with what you have and dont want to part company with it then refurbish it back to the way it was and you will feel like an old friend has just come back into your life.
If, on the other hand you look at it as an older piece of clothing that you love and cherish and realise that mending the lining will not restore it to ist original beuty the replace it as you would a coat

A new kitchen would, I think, make you happier and soon remove the unhappy thoughts of losing an old friend. There does come a time when we have to let go and say, well, it was good while it lasted.

Dont get to the point where you regret not having done something, you pass this way once and you should do whatever makes your life fullfilled.

Me, I would get a new kitchen as long as funds allowed it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top